free hit
counters
Will MY12 'S' exhaust improve the sound of my N/A - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Will MY12 'S' exhaust improve the sound of my N/A

Hope this isnt a repeat, but can you tell me is this a worthy upgrade to my N/A exhaust?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Lotus-Evora-S-Exige-V6-Janspeed-Back-Box-Exhaust-Silencer-A132S0180F-/272288379219?fits=Model%3AEvora&hash=item3f65a6f153:g:dSYAAOSwubRXINT-

I've listened to a lot of youtube videos from aftermarket exhausts and I'm not sure if i want mine too loud or raspy, i just want a nice sweet "" tone in-keeping with the car IYKWIM, I'm keen on the valve to have it as quiet as possible when needed, if find my current exhaust very quiet

In terms of hp would this free up as much as pretty much any aftermarket one without a remap?

Cheers Jay

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Video revving at idle shows valve operation  

I'm fairly sure that @LazyDonkey has an MY12 Evora S exhaust on his MY10 NA.

It simply means the valve stays open and is therefore a bit more fruity than the stock NA exhaust.

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Many thanks guys, "fruitier" is maybe exactly what im after, i might pop him a PM :)

I also think I'd look into wiring the valve upto maybe the vsv controlling the airbox flap and probably having sport mode open it fully regardless

1 hour ago, CocoPops said:

I'm fairly sure that @LazyDonkey has an MY12 Evora S exhaust on his MY10 NA.

It simply means the valve stays open and is therefore a bit more fruity than the stock NA exhaust.

Yup I've got one on my '10 NA. 

As Lee says it sounds like the sport button is pressed all the time as the quiet / noisy valve simply isn't fitted lol

Mine was fitted by Craig Moncrieff Cars and I think it's one of those things that's really easy to do once you've done it once.   Sounds great at full chat but doesn't drone.  Overall volume is similar to the lotus sports exhaust but the tone is slightly different. 

It's a great cost effective upgrade imho

PS out of all the videos Ive watched the 2nd one in this video sounds great to me and if thats a MY12 S/C I'm kinda hoping anything like that would be great (I've apparently got a 3rd decat already too)

4 minutes ago, LazyDonkey said:

Yup I've got one on my '10 NA. 

As Lee says it sounds like the sport button is pressed all the time as the quiet / noisy valve simply isn't fitted lol

Mine was fitted by Craig Moncrieff Cars and I think it's one of those things that's really easy to do once you've done it once.   Sounds great at full chat but doesn't drone.  Overall volume is similar to the lotus sports exhaust but the tone is slightly different. 

It's a great cost effective upgrade imho

many thanks for chipping in bud, do you have the 3rd cat in still?  Would you say yours sounds anything like the dark Evora in my last post?

Not sure which it sounds like.... But it's better than standard!  Lol  

This is a cold start, window down in the garage. 

Pretty sure the third cat was only fitted on the NA.  So the S exhaust does without it.

Many thanks LD input very much appreciated :)

ha I've watched your video before Stuart, I watched it again and it does sound great on the stock setup, but then you hear the Larini and have to admit it sounds pretty awesome!  Is that suction/chirping noise due to a CAI you have fitted or is it an effect from the S/C being present?

That Silencer I think will certainly give you the sound you're after especially mated to your decat pipe, and if you can connect a solenoid to the actuator then it will give you best of both worlds. However, the down sides are it doesn't seem much cheaper than a brand new Lotus Sports exhaust which is a lot lighter and to be honest, who wants a quiet setting ?. You'll also need to change the mounting rubbers or cut yours to fit it.

Other option?...

http://www.lotusforsale.com/ads/lotus-oem-stage-1-exhaust/

Agree Jimbo, if that exhaust was say maybe £500 it'd be a lot easier decision, i was talking to my mate yesterday who fits 2GR's into MR2's for his business and he said that I'd not be happy with the "stock" exhuast sound, even from a MY12 S/C, and at 750 quid its a bit pricey.  Im kinda dismissing any without the valve at the mo

Cheers Stu, look forward to hearing the clips

Well I submitted an offer and we've agree :) 

I know that i could get a louder & lighter exhaust for less money but after going overboard on both counts on a previous car I think this is gonna suit me perfectly.  Many thanks to all you guys (esp martin) for your input, will hopefully update this thread on the specifics of having it fitted

Hi Jay, I am currently going through a similar thought process myself and currently leaning towards the Lotus Sports box + decat pipe, although I haven't ruled out the 2Bular valved system yet.  I live quite close to you (Morpeth in Northumberland) so I would be very interested to hearing your setup when its fitted.

3 hours ago, GlenC said:

Hi Jay, I am currently going through a similar thought process myself and currently leaning towards the Lotus Sports box + decat pipe, although I haven't ruled out the 2Bular valved system yet.  I live quite close to you (Morpeth in Northumberland) so I would be very interested to hearing your setup when its fitted.

Absolutely Glen will defo meet so you can hear it

• Gold FFM

Well guys, I have a 2010 NA with the Lotus Sport (tit tipped) exhaust and the decat. That's the way I bought it, and I love it, and have had a few nice compliments on the sound from guys following in their roofless Elises when we've been out on LEGS runs in Scotland.

However, all being well next week she is in getting the stock headers and two integral cats replaced with new 2bular headers and a single sport cat. I'm hoping for an improvement in noise, and powah!  Will let you know how it goes...

I was surprised the S fitted to the NA, as I thought one was a 6" diameter system and the other a 7" or something like that. However, I may have got that totally wrong.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

I took the diffuser off tonight in preparation for the exhaust tomorrow,  what a royal pita that was. The m6 button heads going horizontal into the plastic sides had already sheared on two and rounded off on the others. I had to grind them off. The hanger width is identical so that is ok. I defo do have a decat but I think there maybe a size difference between the new exhaust inlet and my decat. I think it's doable tho

• Gold FFM

NA is something like a 62.5mm size and S is a 70mm iirc. You need to step it up / down to connect.

I've just had new headers fitted and mated to my Lotus Sport Exhaust and boy, what a difference in sound and responsiveness.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

It does sound great, but then I may have mentioned the noise on another thread! ;)

I was fortunate the car came with the Lotus Sport exhaust when I got it. I was ecstatic when Jim at 2bular confirmed his headers would mate to it.

Not cheap. But I'm one very happy customer.