free hit
counters
Bit of advice on UK Sports Cars please - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Bit of advice on UK Sports Cars please

Daniel

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If anyone would like to share a story in confidence and not on the forum, please email me [email protected]

I'd like to hear your stories so if something is needed to be done, it can be done :coffee:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Keep well away from UKSC. Nothing but very bad stories about them. Visited them myself and was told to leave as I was asking too many questions about an SE I was looking at. The guy who bought it a few months later had not end of trouble and ended up spending a fortune getting it fix. So much so, that he had a website about it.

I remember, the guy was called Alan Rae and he owned a Pacific Blue Lotus Esprit SE. He bought a real turkey from them.

• 2 weeks later...

So far, nothing has been sent to me, nada, zip, zilch etc.

Does anyone have any genuine complaints we can follow up on please?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 6 years later...

I am a complete newbie, and looking to get my first Lotus!  I'm looking for an Elan M100, and have test-driven a few so far. I've owned a classic before (Triumph) but now I'm looking for something a bit special. I was looking to spend about 5-6k. I'm not expecting perfection for that amount! Just something that is sound, fun to drive and (with any luck) will hold its value.

I noted on your forums that UKSC has come in for some criticism, but these are quite old posts. I'd be grateful if anyone has any more recent advice. They have an S2 with very low mileage for 10995. This is more than I'd planned to spend, but it does look good (and original, which is important to me).

Very grateful for any steers in the right direction!

Many thanks,

L

Hello Lloyd & welcome.

That's a lot of lolly for an M100 and you'll want to go over it with a fine tooth comb. 

There's stacks of M100 advice on www.lotuselancentral.com too, they're a great bunch :)

Evora NA

Evora NA

Welcome to TLF Lloyd. :welcome:

As Buddsy said, pop over to Introductions and say hi in there.

Any questions or issue with the forums, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• 3 years later...

Hi please don't deal with them. I'm suffering from neck cancer I poured and sold everything to buy a audi Quattro from these.stated it had engine rebuild .well read the advert on his site .most of electric don't work paint came off .my mechanic still has car after 6 months to rebuild engine was shot .interior looked like it had been botched together the problems go on.Paul never got back to me after loads of phone calls and emails. It's really taken a toll on my health. Please stay clear of them and save yourselves a lot of stress .ive spent nights crying over how I got caught now I don't work I don't have the money to repair her .good luck with your car .please hear my advice about uk sports cars kent 

Blimey... That was nearly 10 years ago. I went on to have the manifold done by PNM and kept the car until I changed it for a Sport 350.

Ironically, in 2014 I bought my S2 from UK Sportscars. Happy with the way they did business and happy with the deal.

All's well that ends well Alan - and you've done the car world a service by resurrecting an SE to usable and reliable condition, just the way it's meant to be.

I've kind of gone down the same path. I'll need a second home soon just to store all my tools. It's quite a journey. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

• 4 weeks later...

A lot of these posts are old, so don't know if the view of this company has changed, some of the resent posts seem more positive. My current Esprit ownership is at a crossroads, regarding whether I spend a load of money on it or not, or let a new owner do the jobs. The jobs are not critical, mostly I'm unhappy with paintwork and feel it looks tired, but loads of people have said there is nothing wrong with it.

I've been looking at what's on the market and liked this one sold by UK Sportscars: Esprit Advert

This car looks from the photos fine to me on the surface and having had a lot of work done. Not being a virgin owner now I know what to look for underneath. Still hearing negatives is putting me off dealing with the company.

Im in the same place Owen. Im spending the money. I know what I have and its full history and its intricacies so no surprises. I just feel if I move it on now I will regret it.  

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

39 minutes ago, rocket63 said:

Im in the same place Owen. Im spending the money. I know what I have and its full history and its intricacies so no surprises. I just feel if I move it on now I will regret it.  

I've had my car nearly ten years, enjoyed every minute of owning it, even when there has been a big bill, I might have moaned, but driving it again brought the smile back. I've spent easily over £10k on maintaining it over that time, but now I'm wondering if the work needed now can I justify the cost or is it time for someone else to take over the work? I want to remove engine, do the petrol tanks and some engine work. There are some head valves that are weak, plus new clutch and anything else I find, also replace cambelt again. Paintwork I've had figures ranging from £2k cheapest to £5k dearest.

If I spend this money it won't add that value to the car, although it will look fantastic and have a great engine, so I've been considering selling on, take less money and spend the extra on something else. down side is it will be starting again getting to know the new car and it's faults and flaws. What will I gain spending on another Esprit, other than experiencing another model version? And biggest question, will I regret it? I've looked at current Lotus line up and nothing floats my boat like the Esprit, Exige 3 maybe, but just out of my price range at the moment. I have looked at the new Europa, but again it's not a desired car, more a case of this is all I can pick currently that I sort of like.

It was said to me once that it's OK owning a car for a long time, but is it making you miss out on owning other vehicles that can be just as fun and pleasurable? We are after all just guardians of the these vehicles until the next person.

I've just got this gut feeling the money will be spent and I will be owning my car for a few more years.