free hit
counters
Removing Door Handle Inserts - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Removing Door Handle Inserts

Hi guys! I have bought a few Carbon Fibre interior parts to dress up the V6's interior, but I am experiencing a problem in removing the existing plastic door handle inserts. It seems to be glued down without any screws - after a quick look through the inside of the door cards. The heatgun doesn't work in softening the glue unfortunately, and I was told it was a type of thick black glue which is commonly used on windscreens.

NOTE: The door handle inserts refer to the 'grab handle' plastic bit right below the window, NOT the chrome one located on the side which we open the door with.

Any idea on how I can remove them without forcefully prying them out (and risk breaking the thin fiberglass door)? Will really appreciate any feedback. Thank you very much in advance!

Edited by Ray32

• 3 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
On 8/11/2016 at 00:26, swanny71 said:

Did you ever manage to get these sorted Ray? Pretty sure I'll be taking mine off soon for a re-trim and any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Unfortunately, not yet. I've talk to my workshop and they mentioned that they could possibly remove it by cutting them right through the center of the stock handle inserts. That will allow them to reach the glue and hopefully cut/remove it from the inside. However, it's going to be a rather delicate job and there's the risk of damaging the door again. Have had the CF door handle inserts for months... not sure if I should go ahead with it.