free hit
counters
Engine decipher early car - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Engine decipher early car

I would be grateful if any engine archaeologists can help me out on this one. I have an early LHD Dutch éclat 521 possibly of around 1976 manufacture. The car has been in storage for twenty years. I have been reliably told that it was maintained by an engineer who worked for Team Lotus in the 60's and 70's. I have found evidence of continuous upgrades on the car. I am intrigued by the 907 engine as it has the early blank cam covers which had a badge stuck on, instead of embossed LOTUS. These covers have a small aluminium plate that says LOTUS 2.2. The engine number on the block is B74 026053. It has the grooves in the cams (e cams). 

I suspect it's not the original engine. Is this an early engine, perhaps from a Jenson, or an engineers special creation or something that came from the factory in the early days of the development of the 911 and 912?

image.jpeg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Are you sure its a "B" ? Could it perhaps be a mucky "G" ? because that would make more sense. The only reference to "B" in the usual naming format was for a prefix letter for smog equipped california spec followed by a second letter, and that wouldn't make sense.

Going by the pic, I'd guess its now a 2.2... :P

My bet is that its an "engineers special" and is a 2.2 crank and pistons built into a 907 block from 1974. Can you take a picture of the sump?

My 76 Elite S1 has had an engine change, and has A72.04.0040 which came out of a Jensen Healey.

It is engine number 0040, built in 72, not sure what 04 stands for. Yours could well be a later B variant(euro or federal?), engine number 6053

Might be worth a look with JH people? about 10500 were built for Jensen apparently.

That's definitely a Jensen-Healey (or Jensen GT) engine number. The A prefix was for engines fitted with Dellorto carbs (mainly UK cars), and the B and T prefixes were for engines fitted with Stromberg carbs (mainly Federal and European cars). The 3rd and 4th digits are the month of manufacture, so Clive your 04 stands for April. 0040 is a very early engine number, presumably it has the leaky rope crank seal rather than the later lipped rubber type?

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Nigel - cheers for the info!

11 hours ago, mikeeech said:

That engine looks pretty sorry for itself. Is that rust on the water pump pulley? With no cam belt have you been told that it runs?

The engine in a fire damaged car was probably in working order at the time of the fire. As long as its not seized in the intervening years, or gotten too hot, it'll probably be fine. I'm sure roddy will get a belt on it and have it turning over shortly. :)

When Wheeler Dealers did up a Jensen Interceptor, Mike Brewer visited a company who had bought up everything when Jensen closed - they had kept all the records of car production - can't remember who they were but if you have a dig around I'm sure WD video will probably be online - they may be able to provide more details?

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

They're called Martin Robey, and are based in Nuneaton. They do have all the factory records from Jensen Motors Limited, but I doubt they'll be able to cross reference that engine number to a specific car. There are people in the Jensen Owners' Club who will know, however. Happy to pass on the question if it would be helpful...

3 hours ago, NigelK said:

That's definitely a Jensen-Healey (or Jensen GT) engine number. The A prefix was for engines fitted with Dellorto carbs (mainly UK cars), and the B and T prefixes were for engines fitted with Stromberg carbs (mainly Federal and European cars). The 3rd and 4th digits are the month of manufacture, so Clive your 04 stands for April. 0040 is a very early engine number, presumably it has the leaky rope crank seal rather than the later lipped rubber type?

Nigel, no idea if it is a rope seal or not, but it has obviously had work done, the sump has been repaired and welded, Lotus cam covers at the least. no oil leaks either, but it isn't getting any use at present either, but seemed to perform pretty strongly when I brought it up from Tasmania on a nice long run. It is in hibernation at present.

8 hours ago, NigelK said:

They're called Martin Robey, and are based in Nuneaton. They do have all the factory records from Jensen Motors Limited, but I doubt they'll be able to cross reference that engine number to a specific car. There are people in the Jensen Owners' Club who will know, however. Happy to pass on the question if it would be helpful...

Hi NigelK. That would be interesting. Thanks 

Hi Roddy

I checked with Jensen guru Richard Calver (www.richardcalver.com) and engine number B74026053 was never fitted to a Jensen-Healey.  But I think it is definitely a serial number for a 907 engine fitted to a Jensen-Healey.  Perhaps someone took the engine off the production line in early 1974 before it could be shipped to Jensen Motors in West Bromwich, and kept it at Hethel for other purposes?  This could lend credence to the "engineer's special" theory.

Best wishes,

Nigel

Many thanks Nigel, that's interesting. I have one more lead I could try and that is to contact the chap who sold me the car and see if the engineer is still around. If I have any luck with this, I will post my findings. 

Hi Roddy

Some further thoughts from Richard Calver. Apparently some 40 later Jensen-Healeys do not have a recorded engine number, so it's possible that your engine could have come from one of these vehicles. Also, not all engine numbers in the sequence were used by Jensen. Or in other words, while 11,013 Jensen-Healeys and GTs were built in total, the last cars produced were fitted with engines with series numbers higher than 11013. There are hundreds of gaps in the sequence, and your engine may well lie in one of these gaps.

Best wishes,

Nigel

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it has to be said, Jenson were the Guinea pig prototype company for Lotus. I'm hoping this ones had a sprinkling of engineers magic dust.......I have a good feeling about it. 

I hadn't realised the differences until Mike Taylor was at mine one day and he spotted a Jensen engine, he pointed out that the oil pick-up pipe seals via O-rings into the bearing ladder rather than a pipe running nearly to the pump. So, you wouldn't want the two engines to be mixed together too much.