free hit
counters
S1 Evora S upgrades - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

S1 Evora S upgrades

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi J

I have thought about this. I would like to remove the glass and replace it with a louvre but haven't found anything yet that I can justify the price of, or like the look of.  I quite like the 410 rear deck but haven't been able to find a 'previously used' one to play with

yet :-)

16 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

I think you'll probably be waiting a long time for a spare one to come up!

Depends who you know. Taps nose.

Hi J

I said I'd report on the mpg. It's pretty much the same at constant speed on the AutoRoute- around 29-30. The average has dropped though - 26mpg down from 28 for the same trip home from Norfolk.  I was carrying a lot more weight and probably used the box a bit more but still .  Ho hum the price we pay for our toys.

• 2 months later...

Very well indeed.

'll do a short write up when I get the pics back from the TD's, but quick response is fast and more importantly Chris's suspension, better on the road and better on the track. 168mph seen :o, worse mpg at 7 on track and average at 23 mpg and motorway at 89 mph gave 25 mpg.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic pics! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

9 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

The 400 gear change is supposedly greatly improved. Might this have solved the issue?

I doubt it but I haven't driven a 400. I have the 400 flywheel and clutch set up , plus I have the S1 upgraded and re-routed cables.

I think it is just the cable mechanism allied with a conventional gearbox that has various spacers in the clutch drivetrain, that is the problem. It's adequate- just, but compared to the other manufacturers offerings it is simply out of date.

As you were. I have driven a 400 - Dave's, but not on track and revving freely.

• Gold FFM

The 400's gear change as I understand it is a totally redesigned unit up-front. Other than refusing to go into reverse sometimes, my 400's gear shift is sublime. A night and day difference compared with a Launch Edition Evora that I drove. On track it's pretty good, as good as more or less any manual box I've driven - maybe not *quite* as slick as a modern Porsche's, but still 90-95% there

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

23 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

The 400's gear change as I understand it is a totally redesigned unit up-front. Other than refusing to go into reverse sometimes, my 400's gear shift is sublime. A night and day difference compared with a Launch Edition Evora that I drove. On track it's pretty good, as good as more or less any manual box I've driven - maybe not *quite* as slick as a modern Porsche's, but still 90-95% there

That's the problem though. At 70K plus the gearbox should be better than 90-95%.

• Gold FFM

Bruss, I'm really splitting hairs with that comparison. It's a different feel to the Porsche box but it's a delight to use. I can't think of a cable operated box which is better. It is miles better than the box in any of my BMWs.

In fact, despite Lotus gearboxes not having the best reputation the gearchange in all three of my Lotus is very nice to use.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

The gear change on my S is good and I much prefer it to any traditional auto or double clutch box I've ever tried. I take the point that on the track a double-clutch affair is where it's at, but I bought my car for the road so the fraction of a second gain in shift speed is not important to me. I think Paul (Bruss) is right though, Lotus will need to go the double-clutch route in the future to compete, but I hope they keep offering a manual shift too. Besides the double-clutch units are a few kg heavier.

On 28/10/2016 at 10:31, JayEmm said:

Bruss, I'm really splitting hairs with that comparison. It's a different feel to the Porsche box but it's a delight to use. I can't think of a cable operated box which is better. It is miles better than the box in any of my BMWs.

In fact, despite Lotus gearboxes not having the best reputation the gearchange in all three of my Lotus is very nice to use.

Blimey, didn't realise you had three now, glutton for punishment!