Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Elan M100 rescue - M100 Elan - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Elan M100 rescue

johnpwalsh

• Gold FFM

As some of you know I am a glutton for punishment, so here are a couple of pics ( I hope) of the little M100 turbo I dragged out of a shed well up in the North of Scotland last week. Since staring her restoration I have managed to source a pair of new rear calipers in the UK for under £300 pounds complete with new pads. Result. Her last road tax expired March 2010. Two owners from new and a genuine 41K miles on the clock.

20160721_162427.jpg

20160721_162450.jpg

20160721_162411.jpg

20160721_162448.jpg

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

V8 will be a long long way off and would have to be a megga cheap purchase. I still have 3 Excel's to get on with. Last V8 I did was a triumph stag which turned out perfect, but then it had no white man's magic attached, I.E. electronics. The jet wash worked wonders, even the roof cloth is good under all the crud. It also showed up a few flaws in the paint work where the lacquer has lifted so up to my mates for a quick quote. prep and paint bonnet, front bumper, rear spoiler, grand total of £450 so not too bad. Booked in for 8th August. Now just need to source those bloody injectors. SJ's at £115 each, ouch. Red rocket in the states at $54 each if I can identify the correct ones from their list. However, the mention on cross referencing that several of the bigger model Volvo's run the same injectors, 740 and 760, so may just go hit the trail of the scrappy's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Resto started on No2 M100. Injectors on order from the states. Offside rear brake calipers removed and replaced. Offside front brake stripped repaired and working. Offside wheels cleaned, repainted and Yellow Lotus badge repainted in Yellow. Looking like a car again.

Ooop's, maybe shouldn't post this on TLF as I am no longer an esprit owner.

IMAG0143.jpg

resize03.jpg

• Like 2

Glad to see this car moving forward John,  proper diamond in the ruff by the looks of it, you would not think it was the was same car as those first filthy photos :)  looking forward to some updates, enjoy the graft on the car, low miles also will make a super little sports car me thinks :thumbup:

Ref that you should not post on the  TLF as you do not have an esprit anymore lol, its a good job its called the lotus forums and not just for esprits as most people on here now own Evoras lol :lol:

• Like 1

A

• Gold FFM

Nice email today. My injectors etc have cleared customs and are on the courier for delivery. Fingers crossed for tomorrow and hope this gives me four cylinders. SWMBO asked me today why I was maybe going to keep the little Greenie. Answer was shown after a nice spirited drive in her little M100 to a local show this afternoon. My answer, need I say more.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Hi Ian, obviously not tried the Greenie as yet, but SWMBO has a cracker of a 1.6 Turbo with a fair bit of tuning on it and it goes like stink, and handles real well. Hate to say it but out handles my last 2 Esprit's. You will give up on a bend before she will, and believe me I have tried. That is the main reason I took on the rescue car as I know I liked driving her one so if I dont sell her I wont mind keeping it.

They are a somewhat forgotten Lotus, but once you drive one, and I do mean drive, they can certainly keep you entertained.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

No. No No No and NO. They are crap at keeping out the rain, they are crap at not having rattles. Does that suffice.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Well all work stop's on Greenie for a while. Got notice last night that I have managed to get a job and it starts today. Short notice but heyho it's a job and will pay the bills. Just a pity I didn't have a few more days then the injectors would have been fitted, brakes bled and had a road test. Now got too wait a month until I get back home.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Mmmm. Good or bad. New job been delayed for 10 days. So the Greenie will continue for a little longer if the bloody injectors would turn up.

• Gold FFM

I used rock autos and they did indeed rock ??

if it's the clips on the return pipes - I wouldn't worry too much - all low pressure returns

fingers crossed for the mot

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Hi Barry, it's the fuel delivery rail, so she wont be going on the road for MOT until they arrive. The guy's at South West say it should be ok. But I am not to happy with the should bit so going to wait until they arrive before driving her. Got the belts, filters, oil etc to change anyway.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Well, new job delayed for yet another month, and the other one I was offered, I refused yesterday just before being told of the delay on the second one. Grrr. So now going to be home until October earliest. So, more work on little Greenie, although this will have to stop as obviously funds required to pay daft things like bill's for food, heating, mortgage etc. So this could be the last update for a while with the exception of the brakes that I have just ordered.

Ok, so now she is running fine and the rear brake calipers fitted, I thought I would get the brakes bled by using the Mrs to pump the pedal. After several failed attemps, I now have a good brake pedal which stops all four wheels pretty well and a working hand brake, my only problem being the offside front sticks on. The seals are in a mess, and so are the slides. As far as I can recall this was the issue the PO had with her when she went off the road six years ago. So, going by previous post on here, it looks like MK11 Astra's are the same, so I have ordered up a new set at only £50 the pair with an agreement from the suppliers that if they don't fit they will take them back for a full refund. Now just too wait on another delivery of parts.
Out of interest, there is a fitting coming off the plenum box which is connected to a small bore plastic pipe on the left hand side of the plenum. This has snapped off at the elbow. What is it's purpose and are they available. I have it stuck on with superglue for now, but don't know if this will be successful or not. Any thoughts.
Wendy & John
s1ghthound01

•  
  •  
  • Like 1

Pants news on the contracts John, but at least you still get a start date.  I am sure there is plenty of things you can find to do on greenie without throwing money at her.:yes: 

A

• Gold FFM

oh. Lots of spnd nothin jobs to be done. Like get the big polisher out on the paintwork, give the roof a good clean, paint the roof framework, more detailing on the underside as I painted most of it yesterday as I had access to a ramp so all the flacky rust was wire brushed and steel painted in high temp Black. The list as we all now with Lotus just goes on and on and on and on and.

Seriously need to shift some motors now though. Campervan or Exell, one will have to pay some bills for the next few months, so will be moving one of them on cheap.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM
14 hours ago, Timjgor90 said:

Well done John great job , I'll have to take a road trip up and see her when she's all complete or you take the trip down to the capital ? ?? 

More than welcome Tim, Bring Tina with you next weekend to Grantoun on Spey where she will be making her public appearance for the first time. You can stop over hear on the Saturday night if you like. I am sure the pup's would let Tina share there bed. LOL