free hit
counters
What comes after Cup 360 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

What comes after Cup 360

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good question! I would expect a slightly more powerful Cup that gets around Hethel 2 seconds quicker

In theory you can still get a 'regular' V6 Cup, the 360 was in addition to that, not 'instead of'. In fact a few here have had 345bhp Cups while the 360 has been available.

To answer the what next, I will say a Cup 380.

Interesting question

Maybe it will revert to a 350 cup but as the 360 cup didnt come with nitrons, carbon seats etc as standard how would that differ from the 350 sport other than a sticker.

maybe as other brands do there will be a period without the hardcore model and then relaunch it with a slightly different spec in 6-12 months time.

In theory you can still get a 'regular' V6 Cup, the 360 was in addition to that, not 'instead of'. In fact a few here have had 345bhp Cups while the 360 has been available.

• Like 1

Uh the V6 Cup R is still available as a track only car and the new Sport 350 has more performance than the oId V6 Cup, so other than the cars still available at dealers why would Lotus still make more?

JMG announced 3 new variants for 2017, so if the Evora roadster is presented this year, and now that the Elise range is - I guess - complete with the Race 250, that leaves a new Exige Cup 3XX for next year followed closely by an Exige Race 3XX. Will the new cup variant receive the Edelbrock supercharger unit? That is a very good question indeed.

'has nearly as much performance as the V6 Cup' would be more accurate.

As has been said already, a number here have opted for the 'old' V6 Cup instead of the 360. Having been in both there is no noticeable performance difference so no reason to go for the 360 unless you prefer the looks. Great looking thing though I wouldn't blame anyone for going down that route but it hasn't been enough to tempt me to change.

Out of interest why did you write Exige 3XX and not Exige 4XX?

Because the BHP numbers for such a car are unknown, I would guess they would range between 360 and 410 But I wouldn't dare saying 375 or 380 or 365 or whatever. I think it has been that the Exige was unlikely to get the 400bhp spec but it was also said that the 3-Eleven would get 420 to 430 bhp and it ended with over 450 in race trim... 

I guess, the figures after "Exige" are depending on what Lotus is doing to get those extra power. When they finally install a kind of 3-11 engine with charge cooler, they will go for 400. If they'll miss the charge cooler at least, they will go for a Cup 370 or 380, reached by some "a bit from this and a bit from that" tuning.

Surely chargecooling the Exige is more straightforward now they have done it with the 311? Any non-intercooled Exige would just look like a stop gap and many existing owners would just carry on waiting. The Evora 400 isn't a dramatic step over the S due to being torque limited. It's likely to feel more dramatic in an Exige but  is nothing the chassis can't handle with ease.

20 hours ago, The Pits said:

Surely chargecooling the Exige is more straightforward now they have done it with the 311? Any non-intercooled Exige would just look like a stop gap and many existing owners would just carry on waiting. The Evora 400 isn't a dramatic step over the S due to being torque limited. It's likely to feel more dramatic in an Exige but  is nothing the chassis can't handle with ease.

The problem with charge cooling is the additional weight, which in turn would call for power steering - which cannot be fitted to the exige (the evora has the different front subframe which can accomodate it)

The exige does not need any more additional weight in my opinion.

Bit of room left to develop the engine (smaller pulley, re-map and exhaust) without adding weight - a Cup 380/390 at 1100kg sounds good to me.

I get the argument for keeping the Exige super light but the 311 doesn't need power steering and the plumbing has all been done for that car. The issue for Lotus, not me, is that existing owners might not consider it enough of a step to be worth the cost to change.

With the V6 Exige coming up to 4 years old now the time is right to offer existing owners something to upgrade to. As usual, existing owners make up the bulk of new sales.

Personally I don't think I'd bother swapping my car for another non-intercooled Exige but a 400bhp chargecooled version might just be worth the dreaded conversation with Mrs Pits...

I can't see why the Exige would be so much heavier in the nose than the 311. I'm sure in reality a genuine 380+ bhp Exige would be stinking fast and after a test drive probably convince me that it was worth upgrading to. I'm only concerned about how simplistic most car buyers tend to be and how unreasonably focused on power figures we tend to be. The problem with not chargecooling is that many will assume it's only a matter of time and probably continue waiting. I will definitely be booking a test drive either way!

:thumbup:

• Like 1

the other option may be a bigger supercharger, without intercooler, as SCC offers  : http://www.simplysportscars.com/shop/home/10528-sscv6exigetvs1900superchargerupgrade

the goal is ultimately the same : a cooler intake air, and above all a constant power, but without the necessary plumbing and with an extra blower capacity ... their review in "SCC's opinion" tab makes sense, and points the fact that power is going down when heat is going up, which is a well-known issue in supercharged Lotus. It seems also more clever than going the smaller pulley route (like KT) ... I wonder why it is not a more popular choice in Europe ? it could be at last a good upgrade option for Lotus, if all the other components can cope with the extra power ...

Impressive kit, I hope Lotus use that if they don't go for chargecooling. It would definitely be preferable to a smaller pulley on the existing charger. Could be a very good solution for them.

3 hours ago, French Frie said:

the other option may be a bigger supercharger, without intercooler, as SCC offers  : http://www.simplysportscars.com/shop/home/10528-sscv6exigetvs1900superchargerupgrade

the goal is ultimately the same : a cooler intake air, and above all a constant power, but without the necessary plumbing and with an extra blower capacity ... their review in "SCC's opinion" tab makes sense, and points the fact that power is going down when heat is going up, which is a well-known issue in supercharged Lotus. It seems also more clever than going the smaller pulley route (like KT) ... I wonder why it is not a more popular choice in Europe ? it could be at last a good upgrade option for Lotus, if all the other components can cope with the extra power ...

And if the emissions and fuel consumption do not go through the roof and the BG6 can handle the extra torque which is possible but will take a lot of mapping. I do think there will be a new Cup car but I'm thinking more in the lines of ECU, induction and exhaust tuning and another salvo of lightweight measures than a new supercharger. And the power gain would be somewhat marginal 10 to 20 bhp but the power to weight ratio would be significant. By using the same material that is used on the 3-Eleven body more extensively they can save more weight on the front and the rear clamshells and then there will be the carbon fiber bits as optional extras, the car may dip below 1100kg.  

3 hours ago, The Pits said:

Impressive kit, I hope Lotus use that if they don't go for chargecooling. It would definitely be preferable to a smaller pulley on the existing charger. Could be a very good solution for them.

More turns/min, more heat, less stabil power on track - means at least, everything stays as it is. Check out for all measuring vids at Komotec, there are big fans above the engine to cool down the air intake.

But with the 1900 supercharger, it doesn't turn faster (maybe even slower ? It's a 69mm pulley used)... It just blows more air into the intake (1900 cc per turn, instead of 1320cc ) !  A bigger supercharger AND an intercooler would seat too high and would need another lid ...