free hit
counters
S1 spare wheel hold down - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

S1 spare wheel hold down

I'm after a spare wheel hold down for an S1. I have no idea what it would have come with originally so, if anybody has a photo of an early hold down I'd be interested to see it.

Thanks.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

• 3 months later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
10 hours ago, Fridge said:

Did you solve this Paul. I'm in the same boat.

No. I've never found anybody with an original early spare wheel hold down to even know what it looks like. I believe the early cars just had a bolt and a very large washer though.

Good luck finding that glass by the way!! If you get any spare let me know :)

Edited by Paul Coleman

Thanks Paul.

I caught up reading a lot of posts on the S1, and I was under the impression Pilks could re-manufacture any glass, but in laminate. I think Fabian mentioned it?

I do not think the spare wheel retainer was anything special from the various photos I have seen. Very easily made.

My next question on here will be about which areas of the body shell should be painted matt black. There seems to be some confusion as to whether the sill tops, ie the complete door jam, should be in contrast with the rest of the car. Seems Lotus may have done different things at different times, a bit like the spare wheel retainer. All to minimise the unsightly shut lines of the doors.

Regards,

David.

• 2 years later...

BTW @Paul Coleman I made the spare wheel retainer using a stainless steel bolt and thinner cut down bolt as the "handle". With a nut welded to a thin stainless steel "locator" as that too was missing from my car. Using a wide washer with a think round rubber block to protect the wheel.

On 09/07/2019 at 12:37, Fridge said:

BTW @Paul Coleman I made the spare wheel retainer using a stainless steel bolt and thinner cut down bolt as the "handle". With a nut welded to a thin stainless steel "locator" as that too was missing from my car. Using a wide washer with a think round rubber block to protect the wheel.

I'm pretty sure it was a bolt with a bit of round bar welded to the top and then a large washer undreneath. It was all painted black.

• 1 year later...

The bolt, or the threaded plate on the underside? I had to remake mine, so it'll probably be different.

The bolt. In my memory it´s been one part (?), but it´s 10 years ago since I`ve last seen it. Quite a simple T-piece with a bit washer welded on and a thread on the end. My question is basically the thread size and the length of the bolt.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My goodness, Lotusbits… wait 10 weeks, then get the wrong part. And nowadays: pick the stuff up at the customs office and pay another 20£ import tax. But thanks anyway!