free hit
counters
Paintwork detailing required - Detailing - Sponsored by ValetPro - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Steve V8

Paintwork detailing required

Can anyone recommend a top quality detailer in or around the Bath/Bristol, South West area (I don't mind 100 miles is for a good job),  to address the micro scratches and swirlyness in my nearly lovely Azure blue paintwork.

FB_IMG_1470011322965.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

James at South West Lotus - if you can manage a trip down that far. He's pretty obsessive about the finish of his work and is very good value. To be honest I don't think I would trust anyone else with my car.

• Like 1

Don't be such a pussy Steve :P

Get yourself a clay bar, a bottle of T-Cut and a set of three Maguires Crystal Finish jobbies.

Oh and a whole weekend and a significant supply of elbow grease :)

On 01/08/2016 at 09:30, march said:

James at South West Lotus - if you can manage a trip down that far. He's pretty obsessive about the finish of his work and is very good value. To be honest I don't think I would trust anyone else with my car.

Thanks Marc, yes James and all at SWL are great guys,  they have just done cambelt service and refurbished my plenum chamber. But I didn't really want to go that far. Every time I book my car in down there it seems to be passing down with rain. 

20160411_123257.jpg

On 01/08/2016 at 08:16, Daniel said:

Paul at Auto Curators. I wouldn't recommend anyone else.

He did a wonderful job on my BRG S4 and my Sport 350 among others.

Mention me.

https://autocurators.com/

Thanks Daniel this is the type of service I'm looking for, but would like to find somewhere a bit closer to home. 

Nick @ DetailMyCar in Newbury?

i would also personally recommend Auto Curators, they've done three of my cars now.

On 06/08/2016 at 01:03, swindon_alan said:

Don't be such a pussy Steve :P

Get yourself a clay bar, a bottle of T-Cut and a set of three Maguires Crystal Finish jobbies.

Oh and a whole weekend and a significant supply of elbow grease :)

Hi Alan, I'm a carpetfitter, I see many attempts by people to fit their own carpets,  some of them think they've done a wonderful job, they haven't, most of them are atrocious.  Which would be much like my attempts at detailing and paintwork rectification.

I have a friend in Scotland (Clive Ford at Ultimate Shine Autos), take a look at his Facebook page, it's incredible what they do, and the products that the professionals use aren't available to mere plebs such as ourselves. Unfortunately Scotland is just too far away. This is the type of service I'm looking for in the southwest. 

28 minutes ago, CocoPops said:

Nick @ DetailMyCar in Newbury?

i would also personally recommend Auto Curators, they've done three of my cars now.

Thanks Lee,  2 recommendations for Auto Curators, good free advertising for them. But it's bloody London, come on guys surely there's someone closer to Somerset other than Gerald the tractor cleaner with his kart her and green wellies? 

I too have used Auto Curators but when Paul was called Shine On.

Good work but if your car is to a high standard already the value add is less than you might think/hope for.

Would recommend him though :)

22 minutes ago, Bazza 907 said:

I too have used Auto Curators but when Paul was called Shine On.

Good work but if your car is to a high standard already the value add is less than you might think/hope for.

Would recommend him though :)

Hi Barrie, I'm not really bothered about the value, as I not selling any time soon, I'd just like to get the original paintwork to the best standard it can be, Im a bit anal when it comes to fit and finish, those tiny little blemishes annoy the hell out of me.

Steve

Sorry I should have been clearer. What I meant was that if your paintwork is already at a good standard then the benefit from a £350-400 detail (I can't remember the exact figure) is, I think, relatively minimal. 

• Like 1

There are other benefits though. Even if your paint is what you consider good (as I did with both my Esprit's Paul detailed), the quality of the work a good detailer does brings out the depth of the colour and polishes out the imperfections to a better than factory standard which means that dirt particles don't set in the paint and it's much easier to clean.

I'd recommend it as a preventative measure to keep your paint in good order for longer.

• Like 1

Rather than have the car detailed why not have it wrapped. Cannot recommend these guys high enough :lol:

1 VAN • 12 rolls of GAFFER TAPE • 6 HOURS

Take one old van, twelve rolls of gaffer tape, and six hours of Carl & Dave's time, and the results are this.. #carlanddavevan #GafferVan

Posted by Carl & Dave; Comedy Magic on Thursday, 21 April 2016

Gaffer Van Makeover

#GafferVan Makeover

Posted by Carl & Dave; Comedy Magic on Monday, 13 June 2016

@Bibs - Is there something wrong with referencing video or am I ding it wrong?

Yes a good detailer will show you things on your car that only the most anal, i.e. the detailer himself, would ever notice. To the extent that until you get your head at just the right angle in just the right light with him directing you, you'll feel like a subject in the Emperors New Clothes... telling him you can see it when you can't see shit.

I'm just rounding up the last edits on a trio of promo videos for a high end detailer here, and the blemishes he showed me on a straight from showroom Porsche RS GT3, that were invisible to even the owner, were astonishing. All duly rectified of course. He was disgusted at the paint coming from Porsche, but not surprised. We don't demand perfection from our vendors these days, so we don't get it.

Thanks guys, the consensus seems to be that Auto Curators is the place to go down South,  I've taken a look at their website, this is the kind of service I was looking for, so I'll pop in and get a quote.

Engine out this winter, and I don't want to be doing that over freshly detailed paintwork, so it won't be until spring, but I'll post the results on here when it's done.

• Like 1