free hit
counters
gearbox failing - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

gearbox failing

well, the continual battle continues..  gearbox now..    its teh ford 4 speed (520 eclat)      1st was always tough to get in, but now 2nd wont go in easily at all (crunches) 3rd and 4th are still ok..   i`m guessing its synchros..    

I was actually considering putting in a refurb lotus 5 speed, or a good used one if there are any about..  i know theres the getrag option but i hear the lotus one is the nicest to use and the best ratio, if a little weak (i dont really drive hard anyway).

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want my two pence worth, try and get your four speed box rebuilt or find a replacement. It's a rare 520 and you should keep it unique and original. The 3.76 differential was matched to the four speed box for the driving experience which was in the vein of the previous cars from that period like the elan +2 . In years to come when these cars appreciate and they will appreciate, it will make sense. The 520 was an interesting piece of Lotus history. It was supposed to be more basic. I think people tend to forget that these cars were being built with Colin Chapmans input. The four speed box was as far as I am aware, also a more robust unit in comparison to the early 5 speeder which was prone to synchros going on 1st and 2nd. Less is more......

seconded.

the one with the nicest change is the 4 speed ford box. The getrags the best box, but they are expensive,

I wouldnt bother rebuilding, just pull the engine and box out and bolt in another ford 4 speed.

Hi all,    one reason for the thought of fitting a 5 speed was that it would be non destructive and i was going to keep the 4 speed stuff anyway..  i did like the idea of a lighter box and a 5th gear..    however....  

It seems like its not the box at fault as it happens now, what appears to have happened, is my brand new gearbox mount seems to have failed, the rubber has "dropped", if that makes any sense the so the cup shaped underside of the mount is no longer cup shaped, as the metal "floating" block with the hole for the bolt has been pushed into it, (thought the rubber is still intact, at least where i can see the underside of the mount), I can push the box up and down with a prybar.  what seems to have happened is, the gearbox mount has failed, and along with soft engine mounts the whole drivetrain has moved back a fair amount, and now in second and to a lesser degree in 4th, the stick fouls on the hole in the trans tunnel not allowing full engagement. 

that said, first has always been notchy, and looking underneath it appears to be leaking fluid, so i`ll top up whilst its up on ramps.

Edited by Mark Wainwright

also, i was looking into where the mount might be from, i strongly suspect its TR7/8, dolomite and auto SD1.    and in the TR7/8 at least it appears that there was an additional cup shaped metal piece bolted to the underside of the mount to stop fore and aft movement of the box/bushing, mine doesnt have this, i was wondering if that unwanted movement may have impaired the mount. 

• Gold FFM
12 hours ago, Mark Wainwright said:

, first has always been notchy, and looking underneath it appears to be leaking fluid, so i`ll top up whilst its up on ramps.

Could just be low on gear oil Mark, that'll cause a notchy shift.

17 hours ago, mikeeech said:

There should be a flattish price of metal between the bolt and mount. You may be able to see it resting on the top of my gearbox when I got it out of the car in the picture below. I still have it!

image_201671121721.jpg

mine had something like that, but it was a bit mangled and stuck straight out the bottom, maybe it was home made..  i didnt use it because it was scraping on every single speed hump...    is that for the same purpose.. to stop it from moving about?    

found mine, its not as bad as i thought it was..      so.. which way round does that piece go?   front to back or left to right with the rubber installed on the car? 

and yep, the block had completely pulled out of the rubber.

and yes, its a TR7/8 manual and SD1 auto gearbox mount.  When i eventually get around to lifting the body off the lotus i think ill make some kind of cradle/adapter/extender to allow simple, and solid underside mounting of the rubber, im so glad i didnt do it the "proper" way last time.. haha..   (im bolting it on from underneath at the moment, thats still painful enough in the street til i get my workshop)