free hit
counters
Evora 400 - Creaking drivers seat - how many waiting for fix ?? - Page 3 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora 400 - Creaking drivers seat - how many waiting for fix ??

Fingers crossed a fix is sorted soon.  

Gave about 20 charity rides via Sporting Bears at Rockingham yesterday and about a third of the passengers mentioned creaking seats <_<

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

I spoke too soon, Seats still not in stock at Lotus. No ETA either. In fact, it sounds like they don't have ANY Euro spec seats in the building, all federal.

I did find out the seats come from Sparco fully assembled and trimmed, I wasn't sure whether Lotus did the trimming on them or not.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Sorry to hear no seats in stock James,  Lotus no longer do in house trimming like the good old days, easier to just purchase direct from supplier as nearly all other large brands do now.  This is why people must be sympathetic with lotus as they need to get Sparco to address the problem they have inherited by fitting their seats in their/your cars. :yes:

A

I've only ever seen pictures of one car that had suffered thermal issues due to premature ejaculation of the lubrication which I believe resulted in the free oil pipe upgrade (not a recall at all, no definitely not, no). It was the white one a douglas valley breakers.

Gav

• Gold FFM

You missed my point totally which was just to say that in the grand scheme of things Lotus, compared to its rivals, ain't doing too bad.

That was all. I'm never likely to be this postion as I work too hard for my money to throw at least £15-£20k away on first year depreciation on a new £70k car! I'd rather wait 2 years to pick it up for half the price AFTER the previous owner had had all the bugs ironed out.

We're all different in that way, and I'm very thankful for the great people who do buy new and get the cars sorted.

Not trying to wind anyone up or be conceited, just telling my truth here before anyone kicks off ;)

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

As has been stated before though, a courtesy car is a pretty f£$"£$ing reasonable thing to expect. No I'm not going to be one of those people that expect to have a Yellow Evora 400 every time mine goes in, but just SOMETHING would be nice.

It's actually got to the stage where I am rotating my own cars in the Lotus car park - every time I go to pick up the 400, I am leaving the Excel there until I get called back again for another round of fixes on the 400. I've been told to not expect my car back until Tuesday, that will be eight days that it has been at the factory in a row. The last visit was five days. And there was five days before that too.

I know certain people - looking at you @C8RKH (with a loving smile) love to keep reminding me that "at least it's not on fire". This is true. It hasn't caught fire, nor is it likely to. Certainly not as a result of engine issues. BUT, it's kinda irrelevant what the reason is that my car is being worked upon. No new car should require 20 days of fixes within the first three months. This is a car built in September and there are a lot of people not on TLF who have issues with the seats. It isn't a new issue.

I am sure there are plenty on here who expected me, after my long thread, to go off and buy a nice few-year-old, relatively depreciation free, relatively soulless Ooodi or something like that... I chose instead to go with my heart. James the enthusiast doesn't regret the decision one bit. James the businessman who just dropped £70k on a car I appear to only have joint custody of, does.

The saddest bit of it all is that one could argue on this basis that an Evora is much more "sound" than several generations of 911. However, you throw enough smoke, mirrors and freebies at a problem and it will disappear. I don't want Lotus to be Porsche. But they could learn a few things. When the main official dealer closest to the factory expects their customers to pay out for the insurance on a courtesy car, that's wrong. Were SMC my supplying dealer, I'd be going ballistic at them.

James Martin (JayEmm)

Had you bought it from them, they'd more than likely be much more helpful. #wayoftheworld

I'm sure you know as well, Lotus don't usually do warranty work, that's why they have dealers. This is why they don't have courtesy cars.

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Of that I am aware. This doesn't change that they USED to have courtesy cars. And USED to have a UK press fleet. And told me directly that a couple of years ago they would have readily been able to supply me some "product" when my car was being worked upon.

My car is sadly becoming Trigger's Lotus. The entire HVAC unit is presently being replaced for the second time... 

Alas, getting back to the point of the thread, there is no date for the new seats. I will hear from Lotus again Monday for another update on my car. Apparently Sparco are on their summer holiday. The factory are busy building federal cars still so hardly any UK-spec spares around.

James Martin (JayEmm)

2 hours ago, JayEmm said:

Were SMC my supplying dealer, I'd be going ballistic at them.

Why are you surprised? I let you know about my past experience of SMC & why, even though they are my nearest dealer, they will never get one pence worth of business from me. Hence why I'm happy to travel 120 miles to a dealer who really recognises customer value.

• Gold FFM

I'm not surprised. I have also made a point this week of reminding JCT that they have supplied me the car, and are not doing anywhere near enough for me as a customer. It's almost fortunate that I live close(ish) to the factory, as I can't imagine how long my car would be out of service if parts were having to be delivered all the time. This is why I got tired of using SMC (well, one reason) 

James Martin (JayEmm)

5 hours ago, C8RKH said:

You missed my point totally which was just to say that in the grand scheme of things Lotus, compared to its rivals, ain't doing too bad.

That was all. I'm never likely to be this postion as I work too hard for my money to throw at least £15-£20k away on first year depreciation on a new £70k car! I'd rather wait 2 years to pick it up for half the price AFTER the previous owner had had all the bugs ironed out.

We're all different in that way, and I'm very thankful for the great people who do buy new and get the cars sorted.

Not trying to wind anyone up or be conceited, just telling my truth here before anyone kicks off ;)

You seem to be suggesting that those who do spend their (obviously not very hard earned) cash on a new Lotus are mugs. But if we didn't do this Lotus would quickly cease to exist and there wouldn't be any two year old (sorted) Lotus cars for you to buy at half price. You'd just be left with the German options you so deride.

It's those that are prepared to put their money where their mouth is that keep Lotus alive, and have therefore earned the right to complain when what they get is sub standard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JayEmm said:

Apparently Sparco are on their summer holiday.

Pretty much the whole of Italy takes August off, that's no surprise.

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Not at all Neal and you seemingly only want to pick out the bits of my posts that suit you and I am suggesting no such thing so don't red so much in to it.. I personally do not care if I am the first driver or not. Even my first girlfriend had been driven before. But I do realse it is important to some and it is part of their ownership experience. That's great for them. What you choose to do with your money (hard earned or not as I have no idea nor interest in how you get it) is totally up to you and you should justify your use of it to yourself only, and have no need to justify your use of it to anyone else and certainly not to me. 

@JayEmm@JayEmm my mention of the fires etc. Is merely to say that whilst your experience is painful with Lotus just now, it could be worse with someone else. I did agree with you re the hire car too and said it was good for the issues to be aired and not hidden.

Jeez, of all my postings on the forum I thought I might have to defend these were not what I thought they would be ;)

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

I personally *do* think people who buy new cars are mullets, but obviously necessary! Perhaps I'm angry at myself for going against my own advice but genuinely I felt the 400 was worth a hit compared with its rivals as it was that much better.

Fingers crossed it will be soon resolved, although unlikely if those lazy Italians don't come back from holiday!

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

Another creaking seat here.

I echo certain comments. I thought the Evora 400 was worth a punt. I figured they've had years to develop the product and sort niggles.

I even had the extra insurance of buying the 1800 miles dealer demo. I figured and initial issues must be sorted.

I then suffered a car running like a bag for weeks and 750 miles. Despite repeatedly telling Silverstone they ignored me. 

I also had a crap fitting window seal.

Silverstone needed numerous attempts to fix her. On one occasion returned the car dirtier than when they had it.

The window seal came back exactly the same despite me sending photos.

Now the seat creaks.

Oh, and 'Lotus Assistance' failed to turn up, and then turned up late. No courtesy car sorted. Again Silverstone washed their hands.

I could expand, and can elaborate further. Might do too as my 18month has just woke up.

It rides and handles like 70k. Build, support, dealer service is woeful. NOT 70k worth.

I wish I'd bought an M2 or a Porsche.

An unfortunate fascination with Lotus, and proper drivers cars.

All caused by S75 LCF back in 2002, a mustard yellow GT3, and someone on here's got her.....

• Gold FFM

That's pretty shocking @fesuvious - I usually hear mostly good things about Silverstone, so very disappointed to hear they've failed you.

I spoke to another 400 owner yesterday at the Malcolm Ricketts do, their 400 has been on the back of a trailer three times. Makes me feel like I'm one of the "lucky ones"

James Martin (JayEmm)

Indeed.

The aftersales service is woeful.

There has been no proper answer to the exhaust noise level. Only 'it has type approval'.

I had to fight to get plugs & oil changed after 750 miles of misfire.

The ownership experience;

To drive, fantastic.

Build quality, iffy.

Dealer : just shite to be quite honest.

Aftersales backup, almost non existent.

In short, buy something else. I'm a Lotus nut for the drive. This though, £70k, ?

No. Forget it. 

The whole ownership experience begins with a price of @£50k, or at least it should. 

Lotus, you absolutely do no have a £70k package here. 

Shame, cos the fundementals of the car are truly rocking!

All caused by S75 LCF back in 2002, a mustard yellow GT3, and someone on here's got her.....

• Gold FFM

It would be a real, real shame if the thing that killed Lotus was an inability to solve trivial problems in a professional and courteous manner. My car is a very early car and I would love to be able to attribute all of my issues to that, but it just isn't the case.

The Evora 400 is a "new model", I would love to be able to attribute all of its problems to that, but that isn't the case when we're experiencing certain issues that existed on the S1

I'd love to say my dealer have been extremely supportive, that just isn't the case (and yes, I have tried to involve them but they've been indifferent to say the least).

I would have to partly disagree with you though and say if they could get the issues fixed, the Evora 400 absolutely IS a £70K car... but you are very right in that they're failing to provide the service and backup that goes with it.

James Martin (JayEmm)

we make the same point.

The '400' is a car at this price point. Totally.

From here though the devaluation begins with utterly woeful dealer service (Silverstone in my case).

Utterly awful service for me using 'Lotus Assistance' (name is a joke, it's just AA)

Poor fit and finish.

Creaking seats

Numerous other issues.

As a result, it's a £50k package at best.

If anyone wants to copy and paste my posts here onto PH that's fine by me as my user id is the same, so it would make sense as 'fesuvious said'.

Jay,

You hear good things about Silverstone because they're lovely people at heart. 

They are though employees of 'Silverstone' and not specific employees of a Lotus Dealership.

It does make a difference. No disrespect as such but nobody could understand even why I wanted an oil change after 750miles of incorrect firing/fuelling.

Now THAT is poor.