free hit
counters
Lightweight exhaust & for track? - Page 2 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lightweight exhaust & for track?

3 hours ago, Hedgehogfromhell said:

I'm at 310bhp at the fly (proven again after the confusion that AMD Essex provided lol). 

Thats 2bular headers back with a 2bular 200cpi sports cat (which might go for a decat/100cpi soon) and an Essex Autosport remap. 

The standard header mounted cats I believe are 500cpi and the main cat is a 600cpi?? (the going rate for cats). 

If I had a BoE CAI id be closer to the 320 mark. 

Youre not really after an exhaust if you want the V6 to scream. Induction will give you that without a significant volume increase from the exhaust. Try a BOE CAI. 

I was thinking around 400/500 cpi, as 200 would only give 5bhp or so gain by going decat or 100 cell, as 200 flow well anyway. 400 are quite restrictive, so maybe i will give the headers a go to start with, then add a 200 cell cat inline. 

Best manifolds and 200 cell cats? Komo Tec again? May aswell just get a full system :lol::lol::lol:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like the approach of the quicksilver but when I see the tips without the "noise deflector" ends I can't help but think of this:

received_10155151404594832.mp4

I can confirm 2bular track with stainless add on silencers in my experience were 99db. Not sure if Jim still makes them like but worth a shout. Plus without the add ons it sounds absolutely fantastic.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

Really! What do they usually come out at unmolested?

Speaking to some of the experts, 315-320bhp seems to be average.

Mine was in that range (and recently given a clean bill of health by Lotus Motorsports).

• Gold FFM

Ooooh. So if I get my NA to 310/320 the nice!

Thanks for the info and I know you can take the S to 460 - woo hoo! Roar....:thumbsup:

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM
4 hours ago, Chrisc said:

I was thinking around 400/500 cpi, as 200 would only give 5bhp or so gain by going decat or 100 cell, as 200 flow well anyway. 400 are quite restrictive, so maybe i will give the headers a go to start with, then add a 200 cell cat inline. 

Best manifolds and 200 cell cats? Komo Tec again? May aswell just get a full system :lol::lol::lol:

2bular or komo tec. Indeed i believe Jim at 2bukar is good friends with the head honcho at komo tec.

The guy who detailed my car was at the garage when my 2bular headers arrived and were fitted and he was positively salivating about them, the look, the design, the welds etc. Jim also supplies a 200 cat.

Either 2bular or KT woukd be very good, but if KT you may as well go for the full KT kit.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

20 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

Read my thread above. 

Header & 200 cell cats added 16fhp (without a remap). It undoubtedly be more if it was remapped. 

Lots of useful information in your thread. Thanks! My preliminary conclusion is that the extra HP I could get from headers without remapping won't get me a significant gain. I just find the engine so smooth and responsive that I'm reluctant to change the electronics.

BTW, my car (Canadian version) is stock except for Larini pipe and silencer and runs around 300 hp at the wheel which corresponds to about the advertised 345bhp at the crank. I'm reading your comments about cars coming out at less than 345bhp...I'm surprised as I thought car company were always advertising a conservative figure.

Edited by Lovedriving
14 hours ago, Lovedriving said:

Lots of useful information in your thread. Thanks! My preliminary conclusion is that the extra HP I could get from headers without remapping won't get me a significant gain. I just find the engine so smooth and responsive that I'm reluctant to change the electronics.

BTW, my car (Canadian version) is stock except for Larini pipe and silencer and runs around 300 hp at the wheel which corresponds to about the advertised 345bhp at the crank. I'm reading your comments about cars coming out at less than 345bhp...I'm surprised as I thought car company were always advertising a conservative figure.

No buddy, were confusing matters with our N/As lol

On 9 August 2016 at 14:52, Bravo73 said:

Speaking to some of the experts, 315-320bhp seems to be average.

Mine was in that range (and recently given a clean bill of health by Lotus Motorsports).

Im curious.... 

So assuming all our S engined cars are producing 320bhp from factory (which wouldn't surprise me), and people go an get the cars upgraded to the KT430 and 460 kits which include a dyno to prove before the car is handed back to the customer. So am I right in thinking actually the KT kits increase power much more than originally expected?

Further, is there some legal thing whereby if you could consistently prove your engine was maxed at 320bhp from factory and the car was advertised to be 345bhp that you could hold Lotus to account to bring the car up to spec? Or is this one of those ones which would 'only in America'?

I still don't fully buy the ability to change your exhaust and feel 100% confident you could go to the majority of tracks, be able to drive at full throttle, and not get kicked off with an aftermarket exhaust. The comments reference the KT exhaust (valved) suggest that the valve can remain closed on track to keep you below the db limits, but my understanding is by default as soon as you go over X revs the valve will open regardless - Therefore actually no better off...

• Like 1

www.alias23.com

1 hour ago, alias23 said:

The comments reference the KT exhaust (valved) suggest that the valve can remain closed on track to keep you below the db limits, but my understanding is by default as soon as you go over X revs the valve will open regardless - Therefore actually no better off...

as far as i understand the KT one doesn't use the standard vacuum line but instead uses a switch wired into the cabin, so it can be overidden anytime.

• Gold FFM

I trust Jim at 2bular on his r&d and I am sure if you research this you'll find a sound explanation as to how you can damage the engine by keeping the vlave closed on track at consistent high revs.

3 hours ago, alias23 said:

So am I right in thinking actually the KT kits increase power much more than originally expected?

I agree with you, Imran... As I'm curious too, I also noticed that KT measures a quite conservative transmission power loss , at  around 13% (have a look to all their dyno charts, whp and fhp are mentioned).

I don't know if this loss is calculated from the rollers, when throttle is released, or estimated, but in both cases it seems honest ... Calibration can still be tricked, but let's assume it is done right !

regarding the KT exhaust, the valve is not operated by the vaccum line anymore, so no rpm related... And I assume it can be kept close if counterback pressure (hope it's the right word in english) is not too important, just like it would be a "normal" exhaust...

2 hours ago, Crouchy said:

as far as i understand the KT one doesn't use the standard vacuum line but instead uses a switch wired into the cabin, so it can be overidden anytime.

42 minutes ago, French Frie said:

regarding the KT exhaust, the valve is not operated by the vaccum line anymore, so no rpm related... And I assume it can be kept close if counterback pressure (hope it's the right word in english) is not too important, just like it would be a "normal" exhaust...

Neither of these are true in my case (MY11 Evora S). 

The KT valve is connected to the vacuum line in the same way as the OEM silencer is. Open or close is controlled by the Sport button. 'Sport off', the valve is closed, regardless of RPM and 'Sport On', the valve is open. This might, however, be different with later versions of the ECU. 

However, what I will say is that I find that there is actually very little difference with the sound level with the valve open or closed. Certainly much less than my previous V8 Vantage and much less than the KT YouTube video above. My valve is definitely working (you can hear a difference) but I was recently sound tested at 98dB with it open. 

12 hours ago, Crouchy said:

The KT exhaust works in exactly the same way as the standard one - on any valved exhaust, you could add a switch to force it one way or another.

12 hours ago, C8RKH said:

you can damage the engine by keeping the vlave closed on track at consistent high revs.

That depends on how restrictive your exhaust is.  i.e. at the extreme, if you just had stubs, it wouldn't be a problem... might struggle on drive-by though! ;)

I've got a couple of videos of sound testing a car with the KT system on it, I'll be uploading later today.

Dave

6 minutes ago, Hangar 111 said:

The KT exhaust works in exactly the same way as the standard one - on any valved exhaust, you could add a switch to force it one way or another.

That depends on how restrictive your exhaust is.  i.e. at the extreme, if you just had stubs, it wouldn't be a problem... might struggle on drive-by though! ;)

I've got a couple of videos of sound testing a car with the KT system on it, I'll be uploading later today.

Dave

Have you had any customers say they have had issues on track? I know Bedford is just stupid low, and in the Radical it was just a nightmare trying to stay within their limits, well without pushing it round :lol::lol::lol:

And can you do the carbon tip Komo Tec exhausts? As only the chrome ones are listed on your site?

On 11/08/2016 at 08:38, Chrisc said:

Have you had any customers say they have had issues on track? I know Bedford is just stupid low, and in the Radical it was just a nightmare trying to stay within their limits, well without pushing it round :lol::lol::lol:

And can you do the carbon tip Komo Tec exhausts? As only the chrome ones are listed on your site?

Only had one problem that I am aware of, but that was due to a failed cat, rather than the silencer.

We can do the carbon tips, I just haven't had time to add the option to the webshop yet.

Dave

Just now, Hangar 111 said:

Only had one problem that I am aware of, but that was due to a failed cat, rather than the silencer.

We can do the carbon tips, I just haven't had time to add the option to the webshop yet.

Dave

How much are the carbon tip versions? And I take it they stand up to decent track use ok? Keep seeing threads where the insulation starts flying out the tips :lol:

4 minutes ago, Chrisc said:

How much are the carbon tip versions? And I take it they stand up to decent track use ok? Keep seeing threads where the insulation starts flying out the tips :lol:

Carbon tailpipe version would be £1230+VAT.

Komo-Tec have done alot of testing with the silencer, their local track is Nurburgring!  Any exhaust is going to have a hard time if you are going to pound round the track all day with little sympathy, but I believe the KT silencer is built to a high quality and should fare well.

Dave

On 11 August 2016 at 06:45, Crouchy said:

98db open? isnt that less than the standard exhaust.

I was tested as 92db on Monday at Combe with standard exhaust. Unsure if thats the norm but the cars done circa 7k miles so is well run in..

www.alias23.com

19 minutes ago, alias23 said:

I was tested as 92db on Monday at Combe with standard exhaust. Unsure if thats the norm but the cars done circa 7k miles so is well run in..

:cry: oh dear! I take it thats valve open? Its only Bedford that is the concern really, and dont go there that often.

20 minutes ago, alias23 said:

That's impressively quiet. Was that done at tick over lol

Bedford's 101dB(A) static, 87.5dB(A) drive by. It's K-series R500s (exhaust on the left) that really get it in the neck. Cars with centre exhausts shouldn't have as much of a problem at Bedford as some people reckon. YMMV

11 minutes ago, MartynB said:

Bedford's 101dB(A) static, 87.5dB(A) drive by. It's K-series R500s (exhaust on the left) that really get it in the neck. Cars with centre exhausts shouldn't have as much of a problem at Bedford as some people reckon. YMMV

Sorry yes, must of been static test. Thought it was drive by at 92 B-)

16 hours ago, Chrisc said:

:cry: oh dear! I take it thats valve open? Its only Bedford that is the concern really, and dont go there that often.

Bedford is no problem at all been a number of times and no issue with standard exhaust

My recording of 92db was static test

www.alias23.com