free hit
counters
Lightweight exhaust & for track? - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lightweight exhaust & for track?

I would love a titanium exhaust, to one save some weight and secondly sound a bit better than the stock exhaust. I cant have it too loud as dont want to be getting black flagged for noise.

Any decent lightweight systems which are still suitable for track and still are switchable from an actuator? Ive heard the Larini exhaust, and that sounded very nice! 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like the approach of the quicksilver but when I see the tips without the "noise deflector" ends I can't help but think of this:

received_10155151404594832.mp4

I can confirm 2bular track with stainless add on silencers in my experience were 99db. Not sure if Jim still makes them like but worth a shout. Plus without the add ons it sounds absolutely fantastic.

Posted Images

With regret... There is no known aftermarket exhaust currently available suitable for trackdays with a db limit lower than 101db. Therefore discounting most tracks :(

Its an ongoing struggle ... Still can't understand why one hasn't been made yet!

www.alias23.com

So the stock exhaust is the only one then? And the sport exhaust Lotus do?

seen anyone modfy the stock exhaust? As i found a pcture of one opened up, but now cant find the thread. Maybe a better option, as then you can tailor it a tad more. Though no weight loss :(

I can confirm 2bular track with stainless add on silencers in my experience were 99db. Not sure if Jim still makes them like but worth a shout. Plus without the add ons it sounds absolutely fantastic. Albeit loud ?

• Like 1
13 hours ago, alias23 said:

With regret... There is no known aftermarket exhaust currently available suitable for trackdays with a db limit lower than 101db. Therefore discounting most tracks :(

I have now got a 'full' Komotec system on my Evora S: stainless steel headers, stainless steel y-pipe, 200 cell cat & valved backbox/silencer. 

I was recently sound tested at Snetterton and with the valve open, it gave a static reading of 98dB. 

9 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

I have now got a 'full' Komotec system on my Evora S: stainless steel headers, stainless steel y-pipe, 200 cell cat & valved backbox/silencer. 

I was recently sound tested at Snetterton and with the valve open, it gave a static reading of 98dB. 

You didn't tell me you'd done that @Bravo73 lol

From memory thats on NA vs supercharged?

www.alias23.com

From the looks of things either Komo Tec or 2bular seem to be the best for track, but 2bular do seem to be a much longer wait.

Do many run the Komo Tec version on track? As a switchable exhaust would be great, and theirs does not have a power drop off between the open and closed valve. Seems good!

I need to find some more sound clips, or find someone with one who is not a million miles from me :)

That really does sound epic! Love that so so much :wub:

would just the rear box sound similar though? As often getting rid of the cats changes the note a fair bit. Think im sold though!

• Gold FFM

Just changing the headers and stock two cats to one sport cat and 2bular headers made a tremendously positive sound difference to my Evora. Had the Lotus Sport Stage 1 exhaust already (2bular reckons is not a bad exhaust)

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

22 minutes ago, Chrisc said:

That really does sound epic! Love that so so much :wub:

would just the rear box sound similar though? As often getting rid of the cats changes the note a fair bit. Think im sold though!

If you go through 'my' thread here, I made a couple of recordings. The first is with just the silencer/backbox and the second is with the full system (as above):

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Just changing the headers and stock two cats to one sport cat and 2bular headers made a tremendously positive sound difference to my Evora. Had the Lotus Sport Stage 1 exhaust already (2bular reckons is not a bad exhaust)

I was thinking the same, but then normally its just extra noise, and i find the stock system does tend to drone a tad. Im not really after extra power (just yet) just a nicer roar (scream) from the V6! 

If they are not a nightmare to fit, i may look at doing them, and with some 200 or 100 cell cats. But then obviosuly a remap after.

although anyone know what the stock cell rate of the cats is? And by fitting 200 cell would i need a remap? As most sensors are ok after 200, just not any less.

• Gold FFM

Headers give you a modest ncrease in power and better noise. My engine is running one segment cooler on the temp guage with the two stock cats now gone and the single 200 cel one in line. From what Ive read a cooler engine and engine bay is very much a good thing and better for long term engine health.

With this approach I did not need a remap and have had no engine / sensor light throwns in 700 miles of hard fast driving. I believe the ECU can handle a circa 30% + - range for self learning and tuning.

I believe @Hedgehogfromhell has the EA remap with headers, sports cat etc.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

4 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Headers give you a modest ncrease in power and better noise.

Really? I thought headers (without ECU tune) would increase power by about 20 whp... I'm quite happy with my sound (Larini decat pipe and silencer) but I'm looking for an extra 20-30 who without messing around with the ECU. I thought changing headers would help me get there...thoughts? 

• Gold FFM

I'd say 16-20 bhp for headers with no ecu tune was modest and thanks @Bravo73 for confirming your results.Those are my thoughts anyway.

I didn't want to be more optimistic as then you get challenged for posting big numbers / setting high expectations.

I believe with a CAI and ECU tune you could get 30-40 bhp which is not modest :)

• Like 1

I'm at 310bhp at the fly (proven again after the confusion that AMD Essex provided lol). 

Thats 2bular headers back with a 2bular 200cpi sports cat (which might go for a decat/100cpi soon) and an Essex Autosport remap. 

The standard header mounted cats I believe are 500cpi and the main cat is a 600cpi?? (the going rate for cats). 

If I had a BoE CAI id be closer to the 320 mark. 

Youre not really after an exhaust if you want the V6 to scream. Induction will give you that without a significant volume increase from the exhaust. Try a BOE CAI. 

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Oooops! Does the same principle re headers / cats not work with the S? I've genuinely no idea hence the question.

@Hedgehogfromhell your 310 bhp is an impressive result. Must be a helluva car that one :thumbsup:

I'm loooking at Komotec carbon induction and tune next. Hoping for 320 nhp all in.

• Gold FFM

Really! What do they usually come out at unmolested?