free hit
counters
Lotus F1 team lost £241m - Motorsport & Trackdays - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Lotus F1 team lost £241m

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From a March 2016 article...(bolding mine) Budgets for the forthcoming season have not yet been released but according to estimates published in Business Book GP, Red Bull Racing had the biggest

Nothing really new, Genii financing the team through debt was common knowledge, Enstone had no sponsor to speak of, they had technical partners and a brand they tried to monetize, but they utterly failed at establishing their so called win win platform à la McLaren. At least they managed to keep the team alive till the rescue.    

There's a joke which goes "How do you make a small fortune in motor racing?"

Answer "Start with a large one"

I would be surprised if even Ferrari's F1 operation is self-sustaining, if you ignore the Merchandise etc...

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Ferrari do get nearly £200m from the FIA...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123649

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Yes remember reading that, the longer you have been in F1 the more money you get ?   surely it should of been the other way round to help new teams.         s

A

The Ferrari "long standing team" payment is a piss-take, it's not like McLaren or Williams are new kids on the block anymore. I don't recall Lotus ever getting a wedge just for turning up either.

Still, even £200m I am not sure covers what it costs to run an operation like that

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

In addition to the FIA money Ferrari still gets a more than fair amount of money from Phillip Morris, the ghost sponsor which still takes the lion share of the engine cover and gets a reported $35M+ from Santander, about $15M from UPS and $20M+ from shell plus free Lubricants and fuel as part of their tech deal  add to that some $10M+ from Hublot, Tata, TNT, WeiCha and now Ray Ban... Then they get their prize money... And some extra cash from FCA to display random stuff.

The Scuderia Ferrari total budget would be north of $450M.    

• 2 weeks later...

From a March 2016 article...(bolding mine)

Budgets for the forthcoming season have not yet been released but according to estimates published in Business Book GP, Red Bull Racing had the biggest overall budget last season thanks to huge sponsorship income whole Ferrari received the most from Formula One Management (FOM) which distributes broadcast monies.

Team Sponsors Partners FOM Total
Red Bull Racing €266m €35.7m €167m €468.7m
Mercedes €122m €212.4m €133m €467.4m
McLaren Honda €144.5m €216.5m €104m €465m
Ferrari €208.5 €34.5m €175m €418m
Williams €52.5m €22.9m €111m €186.4m
Lotus €69.5m €13.6m €56m €139.1m
Toro Rosso €68m €9.4m €60m €137.4m
Force India €49.5m €12.2m €68m €129.7m
Sauber €44m €9.3m €50m €103.2m
Marussia €500,000 €32.5m €50m €83m
  • Like 1

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

There's quite a disparity, isn't there! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Yup. 

Important safety tip: Do not defect to Russia.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Shocking amount of Money, that could be spent otherwise. Or just: wise.

It seems that F1 is not a race, but a race for Money. What became of: "May the best man win" ???

Cheers,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

I find the cars are not to my taste anymore, not many of the drivers have any banter about them apart from a couple, way to many playing the game to behave as not to upset sponsors etc, whatever happened to sex breakfast of champions lol.   i would rather purchase a scalextrix set,tape the triggers down and watch the model cars go round and round in circles with a tape recording of good old Gordon Murray playing in the back ground as he was another legend that made f1 fantastic back then. :)

A

3 hours ago, Jacques said:

What became of: "May the best man win" ???

Bernie is winning.

Oh, he's maybe not the best man. :getmecoat: 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Nope. Liz was great compared to a friend of hers.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.