free hit
counters
Track day tyre wear - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Trofeos after two track days, the near side wearing much quicker with standard clockwise tracks, will be swapping the wheels side to side between days in future, but was surprised just how much the outer half of the tyre has worn compared to the inner.

Running max negative camber with shims out and 2 bar all round hot.

IMG_6118.jpegIMG_6120.jpegIMG_6121.jpegIMG_6119.jpeg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I guess its a compromise between cornering ability and wear. Im sure you are very quick round corners B-).

Certain tracks are much more aggressive than others too, often airfield ones a lot harsher.

Maybe try some ZZR's?

Looks like very uneven wear with those settings that's for sure. You could expect the tyres to last longer if they wore more evenly too. You'll get another trackday out of those but getting through a set in 3 trackdays is not a great return on your investment! Trofeos are very soft and my experience with the ZZRs is that they definitely last longer. The sidewalls are stiffer too so the car is even more responsive but outright grip is slightly less in my opinion. ZZRs work really well on Exiges though, fantastic tyre, very stable and no major drop off in grip as the tyre wears. I've done four dry days (Silverstone GP, Zolder, Goodwood twice) plus 4 laps of the Nordschliefe with my current set and they still look very healthy. I would expect to get another four days like this out of them.

I think ideally the Exige could use a slightly softer compound for the front Trofeo and a slightly harder one for the rears. I had to chuck away perfectly good front Trofeos to switch to ZZRs, there was nothing wrong with them, masses of tread left, whereas I got through 3 sets of rears during the same period.

Gary: thanks for posting those pictures - they are really helpful for me to have a comparison after 1.5 trackdays on Trofeos with my Exige V6 CR (also max camber on the standard Billstein dampers).

Mine still look better than yours but I imagine after 1-2 more trackday they will be close to yours. I also seem to have uneven tire wear ... not as bad as yours though. 

Did you notice any reduction in Grip compared to the beginning already? 

From a performance perspective I must say I am quite impressed with the Trofeo ... together with the camber change I was pretty much right away 3-4 Sec faster on a 4 km Track. I imagine in Spa this will be 6 seconds.... vs. the Corsa... 

Re the ZZR: I got the feedback that they are very temperature / pressure sensitive and you need to have them absolutely at the right temperature / pressure?!? ... ist that really the case?

With changing the steering arms I got 2 degree camber in front (and even more if one like) and ended up with the situation, that the rear wheels have more wear on the outer area.

But this is not to change, I guess.

I'd say that looks like slightly under-pressure. 2 bar is 29 psi, which is low for hot pressure in track tyres like these. Looking at Porsche posts, people are talking around 33 psi hot. My point of reference is that front ZZRs on our Caterham had that wear pattern when they were about 2-3 psi low (I'd got the wrong end of a stick).

For reference, ZZRs in Exige sizes would normally run 30 psi hot.

Martyn, Porsches are 300 kg heavier, so 0,1 or 0,2 bar more is usual. What I don't understand is, that Lotus is telling 2,2 and 2,66 on that lightweight car.

For the Trofeo R 2.2 and 2.6 bar hot on track is not going to work - I am pretty sure - its going to lead to suboptimal grip and tire wear ... I do not even go that high for normal road use... what do others drive for regular road use btw?!?!?

around 2.0 felt pretty good to me last time on track ... I do not go below 1.8 bar cold as  a rule of thumb though, as I am afraid any lower could lead to tire damage ...

What do the track reguars here say?

What do Pirelli say? 

As so many opinions on tyre pressures, but best to get it direct, as so many variables. I had the exact thing with the cup 2's, then realised i was running them a LOT lower pressure's than what they are designed for. Down to 28-29 hot, and killed them! Up to 35-36 hot and even wear. I was getting three track days out of the fronts before! 

They look like they are under what they should be, and definitely swap them round every track day. Especially Silverstone! 

My mates M3 had the same, and he was fine all day, then at the last session our mate put them down without him wanting to, and killed the outside edges in the afternoon session! He was not impressed lol

2 bar all round felt good to me, and was recommended by Lotus Motorsport.

I had been at Goodwood, which is very hard on the near side tyres, Silverstone GP before that.

Might try slightly higher at Le Mans, but don't want to sacrifice actual grip for longer wear.

The Trofeos had good grip all day, but perhaps the ZZR with stiffer side wall will better suit my car/driving. Will find out in due course.

• Like 1

I was having a look last night, and pirelli do say 2 bar on track. So not sure why they have gone off so badly. 

What length sessions did you do? Maybe worth getting a pyrometer and do Temps in between sessions. See of the outer is a lot hotter than the insides. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

2 bar hot is the recommended target pressure for both Trofeos and ZZRs. There won't be any difference between 29 and 30psi but 36 rear is definitely too much in my experience. The tyres do need to be warmed up properly and then checked before any banzai runs. I always seem to be the only one on trackdays checking my pressures. Personally I think it's a small price to pay for the grip on offer. It radically alters the balance of the car to lower the pressures from the road settings. On a hot day the car just oversteers more and more with pressures soaring above 45psi if left unchecked. Doesn't seem to bother most people though!

• Like 1

I do the same and check usually after every session on a hot long day with many sessions I ended up adjusting several times (letting air out to keep it at 2 bar) ...

Jonny: do you end up doing the same?

Yes and I still use a foot pump! It's good exercise putting it back to road pressures for the drive home!

• Like 1

Had a closer look at my Trofeo Rs today and took some pictures. Thats how they look like after roughly 500km on track and 900 km road use.

Not to bad in my opinion. I have been watching tire pressure very closely and always kept them at 2 bar hot. With the only exception of usually going out on my first stint of the day with 1.8 bar cold...

What do you guys think? 

Cheers

Norbert

IMG_4767.JPG

IMG_4770.JPG

IMG_4773.JPG

IMG_4777.JPG

Looking good Norbert! I'd be interested to know how these compare to the 'regular' Trofeo.

8 hours ago, The Pits said:

Looking good Norbert! I'd be interested to know how these compare to the 'regular' Trofeo.

Jonny: thanks! re the comparison: I have never used the regular Trofeo - I can only compare them to the Corsa. 3-4 seconds in lap time says it all on a 4km track. Especially as the Corsa are imho a pretty good tire already. Wear on the Corsa was very good ... the lasted a lot longer than I ever expected...

7 hours ago, Chrisc said:

https://www.pirelli.com/mediaObject/pirellityre/ww/en/catalogue/motorsport/pzero_trofeo/PZeroTrofeoR_2014_ENG/original/PZeroTrofeoR_2014_ENG.pdf

Good insight here. Didn't realise they did two versions! 

What front size do people use then? As only the 225mm listed?

Chris: I didnt even know the regular Trofeo is still available ... I thought all you will be able to find is some old inventory...

The Trofeo R is available in 205mm also but no 215mm version ...