free hit
counters
Corsa alternatives - Page 3 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few days ago I tested at Jarama Circuit my V6 with Toyo R888R and then with Yokohama AD08R. Results: Yokohama 2 seconds faster. My conclusion is that Toyo does not work in this car and Yokohama is a

Cup 2s are going on this morning! 

I went to the track over the weekend. Since I obliterated my Corsas already, I bought two sets to compare, NT-01s and Cup 2's, with me fitting the latter first. I was incredibly happy with it, grip an

Posted Images

Thanks, Nicolas... side sculptures look at lot like the Cup2 ones :P! Can't wait to read the first reviews about P4S ... it is presented those days in the USA, and a lot of Youtubers were invited, so we shouldn't wait for long for commercial vlogs :ph34r: !

A last roadtrip today with the AVON on wet roads... never again :ph34r: . On dry roads the AVON are really (really) good but in our mountains roads here during this season, too dangerous for me... 

PS4 is according to Michelin a very different tyre compared to PS3. I've used PS3 on my Elise and although they were better than many other fast road tyres, it was not that hard to overheat them. On fast road driving (in the mountains) I was not able to overheat PS4. PS4 and PS4S look quite the same from the thread perspective. The compound might be different or Michelin might be artificially creating another level of awesomeness with just a different name to justify higher price as PS4S is aiming at a more expensive cars. So far it doesn't look like they'll produce PS4S in 17".

@geartox: please let us know your first impressions with PS4 ... I understand your concern about driving with semi-slicks at this time of the year ! I must say I'm very happy with Supersports on the greasy and cold roads we're coping with those days !

My experience with PS4: same level of grip as Corsas, I was able to overheat Corsas, but not PS4, as it looks now they'll last almost 2x as long as Corsas (I am half way through the first set, my tyre dealer has already two more sets in stock for me). I'll not be buying Corsas again, for sure.
But on the other hand: they are no semislicks. I have another set of rims currently with ZZRs for daylight driving in the mountains. A lot of light enables me to use all the grip ;) But these are more conditions comparable to a racetrack. I'd be surprised if you'd find better fast road tyres. But if you do: I want to know ;)

FYI: I am using PS4 in original Exige dimensions (front: 205/45R17).

Edited by SamoL

Welcome to TLF Samo. :welcome:

You should duck over to the Introductions are and say hi in there as well. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

• 4 weeks later...

Most probably you'll be happy with the Michelins, but not for track use. I haven't tested Toyos, but some other people were not that happy with them on Exige V6.

But what has happened to your ZZRs? This looks really bad. The crack on the sidewall one: was this on the inside of the tyre? This one don't look abused.

On the other photo looks like the tyre was past it's recommended use, but the sidewall also looks damaged - this one however on the outside, I'd guess. Maybe you need a bit more camber.

I've learned one important lesson for the trackdays: the best tyres are the new ones ;)

I will test the PS4 next week on track. Concerning the ZZR, yes it's on the inside. All damages are on the inside. 

The tyre is totally damaged :

20170225_003101.jpg

It's very important to check our tyres, for us for the others and for the car. I have to check not only the outside by also the inside of the tyres regularly.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally biting the bullet on some fresh rubber. What size are people running on the AD08Rs? From black circles, the 17" size seems to be 215/45/17, rather than the 205 standard size corsas. Rears are in the right size, although annoyingly blackcircles are listing the same tyre with 2 different prices!! 

I was about to buy the corsas and then had another look and blackcircles are listing the front ones as "directonale" and the rears as "asymetrico", although both with LTS fitment. Does that make a difference? 

I've been quite happy with the corsas, they have done 6/7 trackdays and 5,700 miles in total and were even reasonably ok at Snetterton on Monday even having been thoroughly heat cycled last summer. However it's time for a change and at c£750 fitted for a set of 4 I thought it worth exploring other options (second set of wheels not being one at the moment!)

Edited by Gashead1105

There will be an incremental change in ride height with those front AD08Rs. The Avons are 215mm width as well, but preserve sidewall height with the profile being 40, vs 45 on the Corsas. The Yokos keep the 45 profile.

The directional and asymetrico designations are correct for the OE tyres (the fronts being of directional type, and the rears being assymetrical, being able to be swapped from side to side)

Thanks Arun, very helpful. There's about £200 in price difference between the Yokos and Corsas. Given the 380 is running 215/45s I think the small ride height change could be lived with. Just need to decide one way or other during course of today.

Yes indeed the Cup2s are the same so I see no harm. I'd go Yokos, given the choice and your experience on Corsas. They were blinding on my S2

Any issues with the Yokos having lower speed ratings (rears W 93, Fronts W87), opposed to Y97/88 on the Corsas? I would guess not, looks like "W" means the max speed rating is 168, which I'm not going to get anywhere near!

On 25/02/2017 at 11:04, SamoL said:

I've learned one important lesson for the trackdays: the best tyres are the new ones ;)

I really near my best lap time with this new tyre. So for the moment I am agree with you :)

But I am quite sure that I need to understand "better" the impact of tyre pressure. Hope I will get some advice from more experienced driver during the next track sessions in April.

Edited by geartox

Nicolas: I can help you with optimal tire pressure on the Trofeo R, as I think I got that down pretty well... not so sure on the Michelin etc. but my general recomendation would be to check tire pressure (of course) AND temperature at each of the tires after each session on track (inside, middle and outside!!!) and based on those results you will see, what you have going on. Temperature will help a lot with diagnosis and understanding how to get to even tire wear. e.g. do you have the right geo Setup etc.?!?