free hit
counters
Corsa alternatives - Page 5 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Corsa alternatives

37 minutes ago, Gashead1105 said:

The thing is though that I've run PE2s and PS3s on a number of different hot renaults that were tracked. They've all had too soft sidewalls for even occasional track use, the tyre basically folding in on itself under heavy cornering loads and running on the sidewall - and I'm always sharp on track tyre pressures as well. No doubt they are great as pure road tyres, but I'm just not convinced. Leaning towards the Yokos again actually. 

I've also had PE2's and PS3's on my 182 Trophy but not on track.

PS3's briefly on the 130i when I first bought it 6 years ago and although memory fades they can't begin to compete with PS4.

Considered AD08r on the Exige but for the way I use the car they're too much of a compromise. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Mine doesn't come out in the rain very often! So long as they have decent grip levels on a greasy track (any views @Arun_D) I'll probably go for Yokos in the end. At the moment my car is off the road due to not having any rear brake pads left, so new tyres are not top priority!!

3 hours ago, 550superfast said:

Just ordered my PS4's, being fitted tomorrow.

Does the PS4S come in Exige sizes?

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-pilot-sport-4-s

Edited to add: ah, just seen that it only comes in 19" & 20" at the moment. Oh well, for Evoras only then... :harhar:

10 hours ago, NW76 said:

The temperatures will clearly show if your geo is somewhat effective... but don't worry too much - just go for the max camber you can achieve on the front axle with the standard dampers (which I think you have done already, right?!?)

do you recommend a specific product for measuring the tyre temperature ?

6 hours ago, NW76 said:

https://www.sandtler24.de/longacre-reifentemperatur-messgeraet-650216.html

This one is pretty good ... but a simple laser thermometer is good enough...

laser does a job and is better than nothing. Not you really need a proper tyre temp tester as these measure the core temps not just surface temps.

Surface temps reduce very quickly when you stop driving, but then increase as the deeper rubber releases it's heat....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 550superfast said:

Just ordered my PS4's, being fitted tomorrow. This is for wet Spa on saturday and road use. Will reserve Trofeos and ZZR on the forged wheels for dry track days.

Just to add, I went for 215 at the front, they were about £25 a tyre cheaper. £570 for all four fitted with VAT.

1 hour ago, Seriouslylotus said:

laser does a job and is better than nothing. Not you really need a proper tyre temp tester as these measure the core temps not just surface temps.

Surface temps reduce very quickly when you stop driving, but then increase as the deeper rubber releases it's heat....

Dave, do you sell these? Or can you recommend one on Amazon or somewhere please.

4 hours ago, 550superfast said:

Just to add, I went for 215 at the front, they were about £25 a tyre cheaper. £570 for all four fitted with VAT.

Dave, do you sell these? Or can you recommend one on Amazon or somewhere please.

215 seem a much better fit on the rim than 205. I wonder if Trofeos were available in 215 Lotus would have used them.

IMG_7367.thumb.JPG.7b29231d6f2af9fe1fa97508c47d9613.JPG

• Like 1

Gary, would you please measure the tread depth on your PS4 ? I received my Cup2s few days ago, and I was surprised by how the grooves are not deep :ph34r:!  I measured it and depth is only 6mm (F&R)... i understand that they are semi slicks, but it meant less treads to me, not less deeper treads ...

Edited by French Frie
Spelling

Unfortunately with track tyres it often means putting up with less tread AND less tread depth from new. Hence me citing a plus-point of the AD08Rs as having full 8mm tread depth.

I suspect the PS4s are more conventional than your Cup2s

18 minutes ago, Arun_D said:

I suspect the PS4s are more conventional than your Cup2s

Exactly. I met a sales manager of Michelin in a professional trade fair two monthes ago, and he told me about the PS4S :

- polyvalent as the Pilot Super Sport

- almost so grippy than the Pilot Sport Cup 2

- more endurant than the Pilot Sport Cup 2

- more reassuring in rainy conditions than the Pilot Sport Cup 2

I hope they will make it in 17/18, and it'll be my next tyre for sure.

@RS4ever : and you believed him :P ?? he's a salesman  :ph34r: ...

I'm very happy with Super Sport, indeed, as they make you very confident in wet conditions (far more than Corsas), and are grippy and resistant enough to track the car for few laps, and Cup2 seem to be the next level in grip and directional feeling, so I bought them for spring/summer road trips and trackdays. But I can't imagine PS4S can beat each of them in every situation ! for example, @geartox fitted PS4 (non S) and is a bit disappointed by their lasting on trackdays... 

Sure, the PS4S can't beat each of them in every situation ; that's why I wrote "almost" about the grip factor.

As for the PS4, it's like a pure road tyre for hot hatch.

PS : I'm also a sales manager :lol:

• Gold FFM
22 minutes ago, French Frie said:

PS2: it looks more and more a french-friendly forum, here :P ... hope @C8RKH won't Brexit us :blush: !

Not me. I like the French and France.

You can keep the EU though. Bloody useless waste of money and bureaucracy.

Back on topic, for a 2010 NA would anyone/ has anyone tried the Michelin Pilot Sports rather than the Pirelli's oem?

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Was just kiddin', @C8RKH :P... can't tell for Evora, but I'm really impressed by road handling of Super Sport, and they last really longer as well ! Tyre pressure is really important, though, or they  bounce too much on bumpy roads and are less comfy than Pirellis...  They're not very expensive either !

• Like 1

I went to the track over the weekend. Since I obliterated my Corsas already, I bought two sets to compare, NT-01s and Cup 2's, with me fitting the latter first. I was incredibly happy with it, grip and progressiveness is so much better than the Corsas, and the operating window seems to be much larger. I will try to be back at the track in a couple of weeks to test out the NT-01s. 

My friend on the other hand with a V6 cup brought R888s and Hoosier slicks. You can guess which one he preferred! His laptimes dropped 4.7s with the slicks :o

IMG_20170318_102434677.jpg

• Like 2