free hit
counters
Corsa alternatives - Page 7 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

After a lot of reading, and asking people who drive on a mix of all the possible favourites I too, have decided to go for Cup 2's.

Only time will tell if that was wise.

Martin S

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Interesting that tyre lower pressures the the p zeros. 2.0 and 2.2 bar (29 fr 32 rear) as opposed to the normal 32fr 38 rear.

Must be stiffer sidewalls I assume, or, have lotus changed there mind and the original pressures were maybe a bit high. Even allowing for the extra weight of the V6 S3, it always seemed a big jump over the 24 26 we always used on 900kg Vx220 supercharged cars and on some of the smaller Lotus's.

Martin S

I've just tested Cup 2's on my Exige today. Have used 2.0 front and 2.2 bar rear hot pressures. This tyres hold so well that it is dangerous - because it makes you think you have superpowers ;) Even though I'm not sure I'll be buying them in the future as even at daytime these tyres enable you to be crazy fast. At night time there is no way I'd be willing to push them even close to the limits. On the other hand: after two sets of PS4 - with those I can exploit the limits also at night which makes it more fun.

But what a great tyre... I was amazed. Let's see how many miles I'll get out of them.

• Like 1

On 25/2/2017 at 13:26, Dani said:

A few days ago I tested at Jarama Circuit my V6 with Toyo R888R and then with Yokohama AD08R. Results: Yokohama 2 seconds faster. My conclusion is that Toyo does not work in this car and Yokohama is a much better and reliable tyre for road (dry and of course wet) and 8even track use. You can see the video with Yokohama here:

Quoting myself:

Yesterday I had a track day at Jarama Circuit. This time with a new set of Michelin Sport Cup 2. 215/45/17 front and 265/35/18.

I think its the best tyre I have mounted until now, and I have had so far: P. Corsa, Yokohama AD08R ,Toyo R888r and now Michelin SC2.

This would be my preference. No matter if for only track use or track&road use:

1) Michelin Sport Cup 2

2) Yokohama AD08 

3) Pirelli  (if you are going to drive on wet roads) or Toyo (If you do not care about wet roads)

Here you have a video of Yesterday's fastest lap: 

I lowered my time 1 second comparing with Yokohama AD08R.

In one hand: yesterday was not limit noise at my local circuit (A lovely circuit by the way). And that means that I could push very hard in a sector in which usually I can not push over 4.500 RPM. To see what I am talking about, you can compare minute 1:20 of the first and second videos. That means 0.5 or even 1 second of difference only for that reasons. 

On the other hand:

1) There was a blue Ferrari 488 (so beautiful!) cooling brakes (or whatever) and that made my lap aprox 0.5 slower.

2) I did not re-set the geometry and I thing I should give more negative camber in the front axel. Reason: before 205/45, now 215/45.

3) I did not make many laps for many reasons (mainly many yellow and red flags. Sadly an Alfa 4C and a Caterham kissed the wall. Afortunately drivers were ok) during the sessions and I think I could have done faster laps. .

My best lap was 1:47.5 with Michelin and with Yokohama my best lap was 1:48.6.

But yesterday my theoric best lap was 1.45, which means 3 second faster. And that is a big difference.

For all that reasons and in summary, I think I can make 2 seconds faster with this Michelin than with Yokohama AD08R 

Hope it helps to decide to choose a tyre.

P.D:Treadwear for both Michelin and Yokohama is 180.

Edited by Dani

Dani, with Michelin SC2 - What did you have to do with front and rear tyre pressure ?

50 minutes ago, NANO said:

Dani, with Michelin SC2 - What did you have to do with front and rear tyre pressure ?

I was testing pressures and would say that 32 psi front and rear when hot its ok.

This is the pressure I have always used with other tyres and I have no reasons to say this tyre needs more or less pressure.

Edited by Dani

On 28/03/2017 at 21:16, French Frie said:

Wear rate on Cup 2s should be ok, at least better than other semi-slicks, but as I said elsewhere on this forum, the treads are not deep (6mm new)... I would be able to tell you more about them once mine will be fitted !

Cup 2s are now fitted, and I checked the remaining tread on the SuperSports, after 7.000 kilometers of inspired driving and one trackday  ... 6mm are still there, so exactly the same depth as the brand new Cup2's ! those won't last that much, then :P ...

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 15:59, Dani said:

I think its the best tyre I have mounted until now, and I have had so far: P. Corsa, Yokohama AD08R ,Toyo R888r and now Michelin SC2.

Any reason you haven't tried the Avon ZZR please?

1 hour ago, RedViper said:

Any reason you haven't tried the Avon ZZR please?

Two reasons indeed:

1) Difficult to find a dealer here in Spain. At least more difficult than the other brands 

2) I have not had time to try all the tyres!! :lol:

But probably next tyre I hope will be the Avon 

You think is better than SCup2?

Edited by Dani

On 25/04/2017 at 14:23, Dani said:

Two reasons indeed:

1) Difficult to find a dealer here in Spain. At least more difficult than the other brands 

2) I have not had time to try all the tyres!! :lol:

But probably next tyre I hope will be the Avon 

You think is better than SCup2?

I have no idea. It's just with you trying everything else I wondered ha ha. I also note you haven't tried the Trofeos. I'm sure you will get round to it fairly soon the rate you get through tyres. 

I'm still on my original fronts after 3 years and 16k 

I'm intrigued to know why on the Exige tyre pressures on road and track are as they are, in particular the levelling out each end on track and the differences between the P zeros and Michelin Cup 2's i.e

On other mid engine cars (VX220, Exige Mks2's etc) the front and rears always had a slight pressure difference and yet the Exige S3 with the more weight at the back they are recommended as levelling off?

P zeros                38 rear   28 front road

Michelin cup 2's   32 Rear 29 front

P zeros                 30 rear  30 front   track

Michelin cup 2's    32 Rear 32 front (Best known at this time).

Avon ZZR              30 rear  30 front   track

Martin S

The rears are so much wider than the fronts on V6, thats probably why. 

Trofeos were amazing at spa, really inspired confidence. 

• Like 1

The Michelin CUP 2's fealty great at Brands last week.  Very pleased.

I ran 32 rear 30 front   hot.  Just couldn't bring myself to make the front the same as the rear, just seems wrong to me.

Martin S

Hey Martin, how much wear did the suffer?  Wondering if they will last 6 trackdays and a few thousand miles?

They look untouched and the grip felt as good as my old Toyo 888's which I was very surprised by, as had bought these as a 'sensible' option rather go for ZZR's .

Sorry I didn't get to chat on the day.

Martin S

Just ordered a set of Michelin Cup 2s which will be going onto my refurbished wheels (warranty) so hopefully they will last long enough.

Might get my geo checked too.

I've decided to go for Avon ZZRs. They're being fitted next week ahead of a few more track days coming up in the next few months.  I can't go the whole hog and get track day wheels at the moment so will have to hope I don't have very wet weather for track days as I will not be able to switch back to Corsa's easily.  I'm guessing ride will be firmer with the stiffer sidewalls but should feel much better on track I hope.

Today, thanks to Dave @Hangar 111 I picked up my new Avon ZZR tyres.  Great service by the guys at Hanger 111, they kept me entertained talking all things Lotus and I had a good look at their rolling road set up.

I didn't expect to notice any difference on the drive home and I was expecting that with the Ohlin dampers on my car plus added sidewall stiffness the ride would be noticeably firmer.  I could feel a difference and for the better.  The ride was fine, feedback was improved and I put that down to the firmer feeling tyre.  It is difficult to describe but I was aware that the tyre is not moving as much on the rim when cornering, giving a more confident feel on turn in.  I'm expecting this to be much more evident on track when at higher speeds.

So far, I'm pleased I made the change...although I may have a different view if I get caught in heavy rain. :)

• Like 1

Does anyone know what the cold road pressures should be when running Michelin Cup2s ?  Thanks

On 09/06/2017 at 18:01, TonyKL said:

Does anyone know what the cold road pressures should be when running Michelin Cup2s ?  Thanks

Tony, what size did you go for, from where and how much did they cost? Am tempted to give the cups a go! 

18 minutes ago, Gashead1105 said:

Tony, what size did you go for, from where and how much did they cost? Am tempted to give the cups a go! 

Sizes were 215/45/17 and 265/35/18 (instead of the corsa 205/45/17) - so far no issues on the fronts rubbing but have not taken it on track since.  They are the same size s the Exige 380 and pressures recommended from lotus for road are 29f/32r (cold).

I ordered from mytyres.com but had delayed delivery (guess this is because they are Europe based) so have to get rears from blackcircles as had these swapped when my wheels were being referred (warranty).

Edited by TonyKL
  • Like 1