free hit
counters
Corsa alternatives - Page 8 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

3 hours ago, Gashead1105 said:

Thanks, will have a look

So far I can recommend them. The other option I had was a Michelin PS4 tyre as this was more road focused than track, but if the Cup2s manage to last well I'll stick with them.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Right, time to actually get around to buying some replacements. However, I can't find the right size for the Yokohama AD08Rs on black circles - the fronts seem to be 215/40/R17. Has anyone fitted these to a V6 already. @Dani, @Arun_D? The alternative is, I think, the Cup 2s in the Exige 380 size. Both have correct sizes in the rear.

There is no price difference between the Yokos and the Cup 2s on the front (well £4, I can live with that) but on the rears its £75 per corner difference in favour of the Yokos (£175 compared to £243). Are the Michelins really 30% better in tyre wear?   

I have fitted 205/45/17 Yokohama AD08R and then 215/45 SC2

For me SC2 are better than Yoko, which are much better than P. Corsa.

Cup 2s are going on this morning! 

• Like 2

I've bought myself a set of Forged wheels and Pirelli Trofeo Rs.  Been running round on Nankang NS2R so will be interesting to make a direct comparison from a cheap trackday tyre to a premium brand track focused tyre.

Just a quick update : after 4,000 kms, 4mm of tread are remaining on my Cup2s, from the 6mm when new ... no track days, but about 1,300 kms of (very) fast driving in the alps ! 

That sounds like a good sign for Cup2 longevity. Nice to know.

Mine have now had some serious on track use and it seems the pressures suggested of 30 all round do not seem work on an Exige S with race pack suspension. It leans so much that even the arrows on the tyre sides that give the line you would ideally get to, have been worn off. I gradually upped the pressures and ended up having to run 34 all round when hot. Using some chalk on the sides this showed where it was now rubbing to. The down side is that this doesn't work as well.

It was a twisty circuit (Pembrey) on a warm day so this wont have helped.

Sadly I found they are not as good as my good old Toyo 888's were on a vx220 SC so will probably look for something else once they've died.

Martin S

Once again : according both Michelin and Lotus, the hot pressure for Exige S, even with Race Pack Option, is 2.0 bar (Front) and 2.2 (Rear).

After 4 track days since March, no bad surprises with those pressures, but only pleasure all day long.

On the contrary, with higher ones, it becomes very slippery...

I totally agree 2 bar front 2.2 rear when cold for the road. I then got heat into the Michelins and let them down to the 30 all round as recommended by others, but wore past the side arrows so this was obviously too soft for that track, I then went gradually up until I was on the dge of the arrows (ro where they used to be).

On that day the cup 2's took nearly 2 laps to start working properly and after 6 laps were starting to go off so were a bit disappointing  Pembrey is a small track that suited smaller cars better so may not be the best example. of these tyres use.

Martin S

30 hot all round on track is recommended for the Corsas. It would be interesting to know what pressures @Dani or anyone else who has actually run the Cup 2s on track is using. 

Or Gary @550superfast, I think you are now on the Cup 2s?

Edited by Gashead1105

I won't be getting my car on track again until towards the end of August, but I'll have 3 hot track days in succession, will be interesting to see how well the cup2s cope.  As you did Martin, I'll start with 30 all round and watch them closely.  I did read that once that the tyres don't really like it much below 29psi.

Just curious how well peoples tyre gauges work?  I've got 4 different ones and they are read different, a few psi from each end.

Great offer on Trofeo (not R) - full set for £650 delivered with VAT.

Just bagged two sets myself, should see me ok for another 6 - 8 track days......

https://www.seriouslylotus.com/pirelli-trofeo-tyres-exige-v6

Thanks for sharing.

Wow, you only get a few track days out of a set?  I obviously need to drive harder! 

So after a weekend in Wales and the Evo Triangle its time for some new tyres. Having now gone through 4 sets of rear Corsas (1 through nail in tyre) I think I am ready for a change. I have pretty much decided on PS4 but looking at the options available there are 205/45 and 215/45 and this thread suggests people have tried both. Obviously the 215s should give a bit more front end grip which is always welcome and the speed sensor for car is on rear wheels so shouldn't throw the speedo out. Anything else I should be thinking about before going for the bigger tyre? These tyres will be used on the road only.

15 hours ago, M4rk said:

Thanks for sharing.

Wow, you only get a few track days out of a set?  I obviously need to drive harder! 

3 days for the rears, more for the fronts, but always take them off too early as a Spa trip or something comes up and don't want to be traveling with bald tires. I have a pile of part worns that will do another day, but it is the hassle of fitting for just one day especially as I have a good stock of new tyres now, plus spare wheels with wets.

These sets from Seriously Lotus are very good value - I'm tempted to order more than two sets.

54 minutes ago, 550superfast said:

3 days for the rears, more for the fronts, but always take them off too early as a Spa trip or something comes up and don't want to be traveling with bald tires. I have a pile of part worns that will do another day, but it is the hassle of fitting for just one day especially as I have a good stock of new tyres now, plus spare wheels with wets.

These sets from Seriously Lotus are very good value - I'm tempted to order more than two sets.

Be quick then Gary., Not too many left already.

May try and source some more( if pirelli have any)

Edited by Seriouslylotus