free hit
counters
Corsa alternatives - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

At Snetterton yesterday evening I was suffering from a lack of front end grip, quite a lot of understeer mid corner and worse braking performance than previously. Ive got quite a lot of tread left on my current set of corsas but my suspicion is that my previous day at Snetterton in 30 degree air temperatures has cooked them.

Are there are any alternatives to fitting another set of Corsas?  I should point out that the car is mostly used on the road, i don't want a second set of wheels with road legal slicks (not got the cash at the moment, I do more trackways in winter months than in summer and not interested in faffing around changing wheels) and I am also not interested in fitting trofeo/zzr etc if it leaves me in the same situation as I had on ao48s in my s2 - any standing water, greasey surface or other circumstances where the tyre needed heat to be generated meant the car was too skittish to drive!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few days ago I tested at Jarama Circuit my V6 with Toyo R888R and then with Yokohama AD08R. Results: Yokohama 2 seconds faster. My conclusion is that Toyo does not work in this car and Yokohama is a

Cup 2s are going on this morning! 

I went to the track over the weekend. Since I obliterated my Corsas already, I bought two sets to compare, NT-01s and Cup 2's, with me fitting the latter first. I was incredibly happy with it, grip an

Posted Images

How many laps did you do before they went off? Were they just very hot? 

Trouble is, the corsa like the Michelin super sport is an excellent road tyre, so any decent track days and they do just fade if you start driving them hard. Personally i have not found an all round tyre that is decent in the wet, and also great on track. 

I would love to find one! But ultimately corsa for everyday and wet/damp track days, and a proper tyre for dry/summer days. 

Thursday evening, they went off really quickly, within 3-4 laps and I only did a couple of runs. A few weeks ago, it was only at the end of a long, hot day where I did 6 or 7 15-20 min sessions when I thought the performance was dropping off a bit. 

Sounds like I just have to live with it for now!

I've had the same happen to me @Donnington. Air temp was up near 30 degree, I'd reduced the tire pressures to 30PSI but the Corsa's went "off" after 4-5 laps. Although I found coming into the pits for 30mins then going back out seemed to work.

I'm going with ZZR's next.

Thread on the playground suggests that the Yoko AD08R's are the way forward. Will probably give those a try next, am rather disappointed that the Corsa's didn't hold up better to the first Snetterton day.

9 minutes ago, Gashead1105 said:

Thread on the playground suggests that the Yoko AD08R's are the way forward. Will probably give those a try next, am rather disappointed that the Corsa's didn't hold up better to the first Snetterton day.

AD08R's are good, but the Cup 2 was a massive improvement, although on a much heavier car. So i would of thought the ZZR or Trofeo would be a better bet. The AD08R's were only a bit better than the super sports, so maybe similar to the corsa's :pizza:

34 minutes ago, Chrisc said:

AD08R's are good, but the Cup 2 was a massive improvement, although on a much heavier car. So i would of thought the ZZR or Trofeo would be a better bet. The AD08R's were only a bit better than the super sports, so maybe similar to the corsa's :pizza:

I would go with Cup 2/Trofeo/ZZR or similar if I could be bothered to buy a second set of wheels (and spray them gold) and change them over each time I was doing a trackday. But I don't have the cash to do that at the moment, my car is used probably 80% of the time on the road (I do 3-4 trackdays a year), and frankly I can't be arsed. I would rather spend the money on a baffled sump and a set of harnesses!

9 minutes ago, Chrisc said:

You would need better tyres or slicks to make the baffled sump worth it though.

Personally i think the Corsa's are very good! Though i will find out how good on track on Friday!

I see the baffled sump as protecting the car rather than a performance enhancement. Corsa's were very good earlier in the year in lower air temperatures and I would guess you will find them pretty good on Friday as it isn't going to be 30 degrees plus like it was last month. 

2 minutes ago, Gashead1105 said:

I see the baffled sump as protecting the car rather than a performance enhancement. Corsa's were very good earlier in the year in lower air temperatures and I would guess you will find them pretty good on Friday as it isn't going to be 30 degrees plus like it was last month. 

Fingers crossed! :lol:

as said on the Evora dedicated topic, I swapped the PZero Corsas for the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, betting on a longer life, stiffer sidewalls, and an equal/slightly superior wet surfaces holding... and maybe with some chauvinism :blush: ! all the reviews I read were very good, and apart from the Evora 400, it is fitted on a bunch of high end sportcars (McLaren included). I want a 95% road tyre, and don't want to be scared at each and every shower !

My first impressions were very mild, as I thought they were less comfy than PZeros (stiffer sidewalls I guess), and less grippy too, whereas steering feeling was a little more vague ... then we talked about tyre pressure, and Evora guys on TLF highlighted that recommended pressures for the Evora are lower for the PSS than for the PZeros (2.0 and 2.2, IIRC) ... I checked my pressures and they were correctly set by the dealer at 2.0 and 2.4, but I thought that, given the Exige is still 250 kgs lighter than its big sister, I should go a bit lower without risk.

So, on a very hot sunday (30°C), I tried 1.8/2.0 (27/29 psi)... And I must say it is far better ! steering is more consistent, grip is really better, and the car doesn't bounce on bumpy roads as it used to do since PSS fitted !  can't tell about wet holding, as sun keeps shining here :P, but I feel a lot better now ! I'll even try 1.7 bar at front, to see if the effect is still improving, and will monitor the tyre temps when hot... 

So, hold your breath, but I assume PSS (or maybe Pilot Sport 4, as it seems that PSS will be discontinued)  can be an alternative to the PZeros, for a sporty road use... and they're not that expensive (here at least), as I paid 580€ (circa £500) for the full set, especially given they last longer !

2 hours ago, Gashead1105 said:

I would go with Cup 2/Trofeo/ZZR or similar if I could be bothered to buy a second set of wheels (and spray them gold) and change them over each time I was doing a trackday. But I don't have the cash to do that at the moment, my car is used probably 80% of the time on the road (I do 3-4 trackdays a year), and frankly I can't be arsed. I would rather spend the money on a baffled sump and a set of harnesses!

You can get gold team dynamics for about £800 on seriouslylotus :)

2 minutes ago, RedViper said:

You can get gold team dynamics for about £800 on seriouslylotus :)

Plus tyres on top though. 

I also had an issue on my S2 with a team dynamics wheel being oval.

To be fair they all come out the same facility as the OEM wheels, Rimstock and TD being the same company. Granted our standard wheels have to confirm to Lotus' quality standards which may or may not be more stringent.

15 minutes ago, Arun_D said:

To be fair they all come out the same facility as the OEM wheels, Rimstock and TD being the same company. Granted our standard wheels have to confirm to Lotus' quality standards which may or may not be more stringent.

I'm not making any accusations. I'm not adverse to a second set of wheels/tyres at some point in the future, but it's the best part of 2k that could be better put towards the second finance installment next year.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Gashead1105 said:

Plus tyres on top though. 

I also had an issue on my S2 with a team dynamics wheel being oval.

your going to use tyres regardless though. if you have two sets then they will wear out twice as slow.. granted you gotta stump up cash up front but overall your still spending same amount on tyres..

Plus im sure any reputable seller like seriously lotus would provide refund / replacement if one of wheels was damaged.

I have been umming and arring over whether to get a second set of alloys and sticky rubber for few months now and seem to be in same dilemma as you as to whether the outlay is worth it. I think really if you had Trofeos on second set of alloys that would be the perfect scenario and stick with corsas for road / rain.. if you snap one the last sets up from motorsport auctions your probably looking at £1500 all in with alloys :)

21 minutes ago, RedViper said:

your going to use tyres regardless though. if you have two sets then they will wear out twice as slow.. granted you gotta stump up cash up front but overall your still spending same amount on tyres..

Plus im sure any reputable seller like seriously lotus would provide refund / replacement if one of wheels was damaged.

I have been umming and arring over whether to get a second set of alloys and sticky rubber for few months now and seem to be in same dilemma as you as to whether the outlay is worth it. I think really if you had Trofeos on second set of alloys that would be the perfect scenario and stick with corsas for road / rain.. if you snap one the last sets up from motorsport auctions your probably looking at £1500 all in with alloys :)

Link to the motorsport auctions you refer to? That sounds interesting! It's a tough call, at the moment I'm looking at maybe one more trackday at most prior to doing spa in November - which I will want to be on Corsas (or equivalents) for, the question is whether I change them now given that they seem to have gone off or leave it until the tyres hit the wear markers (and I have quite a lot of tread left all round!). If I'm going to change them now/before Spa, then to buy a second set of wheels with another set of road legal slicks on seems excessive!

Here you go:

https://www.motorsportauctions.com/index.php?a=ap&addon=storefront&page=home&store=710&listing=35599

I share much the same mindset as you, Will. it is a fair wedge for a set of wheels (plus storage space considerations, effort to change if you're inherently lazy like me  etc etc) . Plus I can additionally get away with not having a spare set with different tyres as mine just comes out for trackdays and the odd car meet anyway.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Arun_D said:

Here you go:

https://www.motorsportauctions.com/index.php?a=ap&addon=storefront&page=home&store=710&listing=35599

I share much the same mindset as you, Will. it is a fair wedge for a set of wheels (plus storage space considerations, effort to change if you're inherently lazy like me  etc etc) . Plus I can additionally get away with not having a spare set with different tyres as mine just comes out for trackdays and the odd car meet anyway.

Much appreciated Arun, thanks! That's a good price for a set of 4.

Storage is the other issue for me - my wife left the garage door open a couple of years ago overnight and when I noticed in the morning there was a big wheel-shaped hole where my second set of wheels should have been. Thief probably sold them for £100 of scrap, best part of £2k new including the tyres and not even covered by the house insurance!! Flipping paranoid now but it's put me off a bit.

Having said that £600 inc VAT is a good price for a set of 4, I've realised that I could stick the MP215 upgrade on my Fiesta ST for that price! Decisions, decisions, decisions!!

Having said that £600 inc VAT is a good price for a set of 4, I've realised that I could stick the MP215 upgrade on my Fiesta ST for that price! Decisions, decisions, decisions!!

1 minute ago, RedViper said:

put the tyres on the fiesta and track that ?

I fancy doing a trackday in the fiesta actually but front tyres are virtually on the wear markers(!)