free hit
counters
The Excel Diaries! - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
JayEmm

The Excel Diaries!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It needs some feckin' air in the osf tyre! 

I'll get that checked... need to get the right pressures which I assume the internet will provide.

The good news is that it's only flat at the bottom.

You will almost certainly need window frames - which are currently made from unobtainium.

Check out lotusexcel.net as there is a thread there about getting them remade.

I'd be wary of fitting the new door beams if your window frames are shagged.

What size tyres are on it?

• Like 2

Lucky man. You are one step closer than me to (one of) my Lotus dream garage(s). Enjoy!

At least one window frame has rust on it, I will sign up for Excel.net soon.

It's running 205s I think? Kimbers did tell me, I think it was on 225s and he said it should be on 215s but these were the closest available?

You jammy sod @JayEmm 

that really does look stunning. A proper good investment chap - and you can enjoy it

Thanks Barry. The main decision I'm going to have to make is how original I want to keep it. There are things in it which aren't to my "taste"... but modifying a classic is always risky.

Does anyone know if the dash was ever available in a not-wood finish, or a dark wood?

Also, one thing that took me by surprise. The gearbox is extremely nice to use. I mean, really really nice. Did not expect that. I know it's the Toyota unit, but still, it's 30+ years old (design wise). Really slick. Gear knob needs changing though.

Careful....... That's thin ice territory now with the excel guys :lol:

stunning car though - I really fancy one - but for some reason the bloody herald I've got ain't shifting. Now I know why I like spitfires for flipping !! But I just NEED a four seat classic cos of the kids.

they are a great buy at the minute - have been massively overlooked - but are now attracting attention and are definately on the move upwards. More importantly - a great drivers car

• Like 1

Yeah it's a great looking car and in a great colour too.

I tried to persuade my dad to go halves as he keeps talking about a "practical" classic. He didn't but it was too good an opportunity to pass up. I knew it wasn't going to be a basket case, classic cars seems a safe place to have money these days.

I've not delved into the performance at all yet but it's plenty spritely enough - I believe it's on a par with a modern rep-mobile for 0-60 times, not bad for a car from the 80s. Also does sound really, really good. Another thing I didn't expect.

I look forward to getting to know it and unlike my 400, I don't expect perfection :D

I'm not into new cars - I'm afraid they miss the nostalgia bit for me. Oh and depreciate more than any classic ever would. 

The herald is slow, uncomfortable, noisy etc etc - but quintessentially British and just makes you smile. It was built by craftsmen who just liked not working and tending a small fire at the factory gates...... Occasionally going to work and doing a terrible job - but - it's just absolute magic to jump in and drive.

the excel will hit all the spots you never knew existed ..... Until now 

Haha, I'm not new to classic cars - just new to classic ownership!

I've spent a fair bit of time on old bikes too, the joy of changing a spark plug by the side of a dual carriageway on a red hot engine... in leathers.In August.

The Triumph Herald to me is kinda cool, I'd never own one of those, but it's definitely got that old school charm. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

Does anyone know if the dash was ever available in a not-wood finish, or a dark wood?

Also, one thing that took me by surprise. The gearbox is extremely nice to use. I mean, really really nice. Did not expect that. I know it's the Toyota unit, but still, it's 30+ years old (design wise). Really slick. Gear knob needs changing though.

The dash on the SE was only ever available as the wood finish you have but there was a non-SE model in the wide body (the SEs were all wide bodies), just called the Excel, it had the low compression engine. That Excel used the same dash with plastic facings but they will be quite rare as that wide bodied Excel wasn't exactly the model of choice.

Lotusbits.com (Mike Taylor) does some re-made units in a choice of finishes, so that could get you the darker wood option.

Those gearboxes really show just how nice it is to have the gear lever directly over the gearbox.

Yes, I expect that there are a lot of benefits to stealing parts from a car which has the same basic layout as the one you're building.

I'm definitely packing my driving shoes for the next trip out though.

Congratulations James, what a beauty, you lucky lucky man. I think there may be a few gutted people on here that were waiting for this one to come onto the market, my son being one of them. But still I'm sure Kimbers is pleased it's gone to a good home!

@Steve V8 you can be sure that when she does get re-released into the wild I will make sure she gets offered back into the community.

I am going to track values of them with great interest, because the Esprit seemed to jump almost overnight.

I think it'll make a great "usable classic" - power steering + servo brakes (at least pretty sure they're servo'd) mean driving it is pretty easy after getting used to the pedals and driving position. Big boot, I think fuel economy is quite good, looks great... does a lot right!

Kimbers was properly gutted about seeing her leave, I am sure if I changed my mind he'd probably have been happier! But these things happen, and the car won't be far away.

As the Excel is another Lotus that has very little representation online, I intend to do my best to raise awareness of it - as I have been doing with the Evora and am also doing with the M100.

It's a nice looking car. I will certainly be tuning in to your YouTube channel - do people tune in any more! I'm gutted that your probably young enough not not even remember dial-up... I feel so old:getmecoat:

Oh I definitely remember dial-up. And fax machines. And phoning your friend's mum to ask if they can come round to play.

We were one of the first people I remember to have a computer at home. It was an Apricot, I believe. 

Ideas on a postcard for things to be featured on the channel.

13 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

@Steve V8

I think it'll make a great "usable classic" - power steering + servo brakes (at least pretty sure they're servo'd) mean driving it is pretty easy after getting used to the pedals and driving position. Big boot, I think fuel economy is quite good, looks great... does a lot right!

Sounds like the pedal box is shared with the Esprit, I have wide feet, and have had to change shoes before taking her for a spin.

I've also got very wide feet Steve, I cannot think of another car I have driven which was quite this extreme though. Ferrari 355 comes pretty close. Old 911s could be interesting too first time out, floor hinged pedal could take some getting used to.

Well done on the purchase of this car James,  She looks lovely. :animier: I just wish i could say i was born in the same years as your car lol, god i feel old now :P   Enjoy the car James and may she serve you well. :thumbup:

Haha, the car show I was at the other day some lads were comparing insurance prices. I've just paid less for a year on this than they were paying for a month on a SEAT Ibiza 1.2! Getting old does have a few advantages it seems

36 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

Getting old does have a few advantages it seems

Being born in 1989 as you state above in an earlier post means you are what, 27 years old. I would hardly think that means you are "getting old" @JayEmm:)

Pah - 27 !! No wonder that plumber fancied robbing you blind :whistle:

The idiot plumber, as it happened, gave me a quote about three months ago. Then, I phoned him to organise a date to get the work started and he suddenly tells me "oh by the way that quote I gave you, yeah it was £1500 under what I should have quoted".

Obviously, I told him to do one. If you can't keep to a quote when a job hasn't even started that doesn't exactly fill me with confidence for keeping on-quote during the job!

Insurance, as it happens, was a very reasonable £169 for the year with FluxDirect. No NCB to use, not sure it even makes a difference on classic policies.