free hit
counters
The Excel Diaries! - Page 4 - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
JayEmm

The Excel Diaries!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Enjoyed the video James, keep up the good work.

I think the next video should be, 5 reasons why you shouldn't buy an Excel. If the collectors start getting hold of them and hide them away in their undriven private collections, the drivers among us won't get the chance to own one.

32 minutes ago, Steve V8 said:

Enjoyed the video James, keep up the good work.

I think the next video should be, 5 reasons why you shouldn't buy an Excel. If the collectors start getting hold of them and hide them away in their undriven private collections, the drivers among us won't get the chance to own one.

Certainly my plan Steve. My reasons so far will be:

1. Window frames made of Unobtainium
2. Will always live in the shadow of the Esprit
3. Tyre sizes no longer made
4. Rear seats not quite usable for everyone
5. Four cylinders not always enough for some! And it's a thirsty bugger

• Like 1

1 will need a re-work with Angus having located the original manufacturer who is hopefully remaking them.

28 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

That'll do for starters. Since I've had my Esprit and taken my son to a few car shows,  he's become obsessed with the Excel, and strangely enough for a 19 year old, with the Elite too, he's awaiting an insurance payout after a motorcycle accident last year, and I'm sure will be looking to buy one soon, so don't go pushing the prices up just yet eh!!!!

I think bank of Dad may have been putting an offer in on yours, if you hadn't of snuck in there so quick.<_<

Mike - agreed lol. Great though the Excel turned out to be - it owes much to it's Father (or it's Father's Father's Father's Father - if MP floats your boat lol).

Jay - if you really want to expand your largely excellent video collection, you should perhaps consider including a bit of background on the 'original'.

Given your location, I'm happy to give you access to my work in progress if it is of interest (although I'm seriously disinterested in being 'in front' of camera (a bonus for all concerned!)

@oilmagnet477 please PM me, I'd love to do a bit on the Elite. Trying to get as many Lotus covered as possible!

My son describes the Elites rear end as "like something from thunderbird"

• Like 1

I see JayEmm has started a flurry of activity in the classifieds (currently 14) as Esprit owners frantically try to off load them in favour of hunting down the wonderful Excel - of which we are keeping Unobtainable :P

On 14 September 2016 at 23:56, JayEmm said:

Thinking of you @JayEmm at the Classic and Sportscar show, Unobtainium window frames have now been replaced by newly manufactured obtainium ones. Available from the Elite Eclat & Excel owners club.IMG_1068.JPG 

• Like 1

Got my order form filled out already :)

• Like 1

I'm going to be using the Excel as a daily through winter, so there's a couple of items which can't escape any longer.

1 - the stereo. It doesn't work at all, and I need some sort of noise other than the lovely twin-cam for longer journeys. A trip to halfords and a cyber monday deal on a mechless radio (No CD unit so shallower), got it fired up and got one speaker working but the wiring is totally butchered I have no idea what is what so will be getting my hi-fi experts that did the Evora to sort the rest. I've also ordered some cheap speakers to replace the ones in it presently, as it seems prudent. We'll rewire the lot and that'll give me reasonable sound for now.

2 - Door locks. Driver's door doesn't lock. @Kimbers pushed the lock in somehow. I need to retrieve it. Joy!

When I've got those two sorted, it'll get a lot more use. Drove it today and I really love it - so different to the Elise and Evora. Very comfortable ride.

• Like 1

Yet another car I shouldn't have let slip through my fingers! One day I will own a garage big enough to house all my Lotus ambitions!

• Like 1

Mine aren't garaged! I was scraping the ice from the inside of the car yesterday. Still starts pretty easily though.

I love it more every time I look at it.

Not a recent thing, I was scraping ice off the inside of my Excel in 1991 as well. It's the rear screen I find a bugger to get clear - especially as I have some of the rear window heating strips need replacing.

You coming down the Xmas nosh up in the Excel, Evora or Elise?

@ChrisJ it won't be the Elise - I have no intent in doing another long journey in it. I'm also bringing MJK and I don't think it would be very fair on him!

Favourite at the moment is the Evora, if I can get it working for more than a fortnight.

The choke on the Excel broke this morning - started feeling odd then just came off in my hand. Must get that tended to, I guess I'll have to be my own choke for a while

That's a pain - the choke is a must, especially this time of year.

If it was my Evora, I'd be livid. As it's the Excel I'm sticking it on the "to-do" list for when I have money again, and I'll just work with it

On 11/30/2016 at 21:56, ChrisJ said:

You coming down the Xmas nosh up in the Excel, Evora or Elise?

When and where is it? Didn't come to November breakfast meet - too far that early and I don't eat breakfast. Presume it's not an Xmas Breakfast is it? 

No - details are on the forum

6 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

No - details are on the forum

Oh, that one. Thought might have been Herts / Essex do.  Looks like 24 already booked and pub doesn't look very big on it's website. Wonder how many Lotus will arrive...  

About 20 members at the EALC AGM couple of weeks ago but only 1 Lotus in the car park, a Pacific Blue M100... lot of talk about showing cars, not a lot about driving them ... :banghead:

Ha yeah tell me about it. I only just brought my Excel out for the winter!

53 minutes ago, phil flash said:

Looks like 24 already booked and pub doesn't look very big on it's website.

Room for 40+. I'd drive but I live 4 doors away and indeed to have a couple of beers. You're welcome to pop round though and see my Elise :D