free hit
counters
Window lift Motor - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Ho does anyone know how easy it is to change the window lift motor? My 86 S3 seems to have a failed one on the passenger side. It went all the way down but not back up. I can hear it clicking both ways but the motor is not moving it at all....

Any help or instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only a few nuts and bolts inside the door - you need a double jointed midget orangutan to assist !!

Are you sure it's not a wiring issue, loose or corroded connections causing voltage drop or possibly wires almost broken through where they get flexed when the door opens/closes. The motor has pu

My grazes and cuts from doing the job on my last car have just healed - can't help sorry !!

Posted Images

Are you sure it's not a wiring issue, loose or corroded connections causing voltage drop or possibly wires almost broken through where they get flexed when the door opens/closes.

The motor has push on connectors which are tricky but not impossible to get to, so you could try making some wires and connect 12v directly to the motor and see if it then lifts.

if you end up taking it out for refurb (they don't usually need replacement) you will need to try this anyway as its going to be very tricky to remove it with the window in the down position.

• Like 1
On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 21:43, Barrykearley said:

Only a few nuts and bolts inside the door - you need a double jointed midget orangutan to assist !!

Offering your services then, Barry?

Margate Exotics.

• 2 years later...

I have had the window lifters out multiple times now and it helps when fitting to start with the motor to the rear of the car, the arm pointing forwards. Thread the roller onto the bottom of the glass then rotate the motor assembly to the correct way around, i.e. motor forwards and bolt in place. I did this last night and it was much easier than the battles I have had in the past.

cheers

C43

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Kevin Wheeler said:

Has anyone found an alternative to fit a 1984 Turbo Esprit, please?

If they're the same as an S1 @Lotusfab found an alternative.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Hi Eric. They are AC delco. Made for the Corvette and other American cars. Best to buy new or remanufactipured. They are very cheap from th US about £70 when I bought them on ebay.. 

• Like 1

As I recall there was a change of spur gear on the motor over the era in question. Seems the version fitted to our cars was that with fewer teeth and I expect the one with a higher tooth count could be incompatible with the sector gear on the window regulator.  

On the second one I bought I just swapped in the drive gear. The bit that always fails is the motor itself. The permanent magnets demagnetze and the torque is greatly reduced.

The first corvette motor I got was remanufactured and worked perfectly and had the correct gear.

I have been told that the commutator gets smeared with grease and that causes the sluggish response. So I'm going to try cleaning mine before I spring for a new pair as my window speed is glacial.

• Gold FFM

My window has stopped completely. My mechanic (Cos from Sportomotive) tells me that the trouble is usually with the magnets and you can rebuild it. I just thought I would see if anyone could tell me whether they had found an alternative. 

Both Cos and S J sports have told me they are no longer available. I wondered if anyone on TLF knew better!

10 minutes ago, Kevin Wheeler said:

My window has stopped completely. My mechanic (Cos from Sportomotive) tells me that the trouble is usually with the magnets and you can rebuild it. I just thought I would see if anyone could tell me whether they had found an alternative. 

Both Cos and S J sports have told me they are no longer available. I wondered if anyone on TLF knew better!

Go to 8:05 it really sums up early electric windows on older cars... 

I spent months trying to get the drivers window working on my S1. I completely rebuilt the motors, cleaning and greasing them. I removed all dirt from the comutator and cleaned them up  Then I adjusted the window to get it sliding with minimum resistance. I spent  months trying to get this working.The only thing I couldn't do was remagnetize the mangnets.

The window still would not travel more than half way.  I replaced the motor with a new one. Window works perfectly. Conclusion the permanent magnets have gone weak and reduced the torque so much the window wouldn't move. I had exactly the same issue on my Turbo. That now works perfectly with a brand new AC delco motor.  In the states there are lots and lots of these AC delco motors. Some are brand new and remanufactured. The gear just pushes out very easily and plugs into the new motor and case. So all you really need is the motor and body. This is the same as the one used on the earlier Corvette.

Two minutes search, here you go....IMG_0748.thumb.PNG.3e0d8d344aab8578a95b3ca224837e1c.PNG