free hit
counters
Tunnel Trim removal / Choke Cable replacement - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
jtmco

Tunnel Trim removal / Choke Cable replacement

I've read the manual and searched the forum but I haven't found the answer to my question.

I am trying to replace my choke cable (inner and outer).  Seems the outer sheath is clamped down underneath the center armrest trim (Trim Cover Assy, Tunnel Top A079V4072J).  However, it is not obvious to me how this piece (or the sides A079V4072J) are attached.  If I remove the seats, will the sides come free?  Do they have screws or snaps or something else? What about the bright work (chrome piece) that runs up the side and then under the dash.  How is that affixed? (I don't want to break it moving the other pieces. 

Of course, based on the other things that the DPO has done, heaven only knows what I will find!

Any guidance would be most appreciated. 

Jim McLeskey Richmond, VA USA

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The centre armrest trim is held on by nasty plastic clips that will snap as soon as you look at them...trying to fit it back again with the same clips has the same result!! If you find a way of dealing with this, please let us in on it!!

• Like 1

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Thanks. The previous owner trimmed it in leather so perhaps he fitted new clips or did something else. I will have to move the seats. He riveted on the map pocket. 

On 16/08/2016 at 11:45, molemot said:

The centre armrest trim is held on by nasty plastic clips that will snap as soon as you look at them...trying to fit it back again with the same clips has the same result!! If you find a way of dealing with this, please let us in on it!!

This takes me back to one of the car magazine reviews of the Esprit, cant remember which one. The reviewer pulled off the trim thinking it was a storage box lid, then it would not go back on. Cue usual rant about Lotus quality problem etc etc. Conversely the part which really is a lid, on the fascia, nobody could get to open, and as for opening the front bonnet without prior training to find the latch, no chance!

• Like 1

Obviously didn't know anything about Lotus chassis design...a nice cubby hole there would do a whole lot for chassis stiffness....(!) The push to open, push to shut thing is also not something one encounters that often, but does work well. My initial problem was getting the keys out of the ignition......trying to buy fuel at a motorway services just after purchase!!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

So should the armrest pull up as if it were a cubby or is it attached to the sides?  I think when mine was retrimmed inside, everything must have been glued down. None of it wants to move. I'm afraid to pull too hard.  I've managed to feed a new choke inner cable through the old sheath. The outer sheath is cut/broken in the engine bay. I will splice in an additional piece of outer sheath in the engine bay rather than risk damaging the interior (someday I'll have to do that). 

Thanks for the advice and guidance. 

Jim

Edited by jtmco

When I retrimmed my car I made a shallow tray that sits under the armrest, turning it into a cubby, good for wallet, phone etc.