free hit
counters
Tank debris - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
davetoff

Tank debris

Hi All,

Just pulled the fuel tanks from the car, bit of a pig I can tell you. However when i got the near side one out there was a loud clanging sound coming from within. It sounded like a large nut had fallen into the tank. Upon inspection i managed to fish it out with a magnet and it looked like this. Has anyone seen this before and do they know where it comes from. My reckoning is that it's some sort of filter/catch that goes in the bottom of the tank!

help much appreciated?

image.jpeg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Err, dont think thats supposed to be in there!

Tracpac make outdoor equipment such as rucksacks etc.

The filters on the bottom of my S1 tanks consist of a dished sunken part where the take of pipe is and then inside the tank the pipe sticks up slightly. So you end up with all the crap lying in the dish but the take off pipe is above that level.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Slightly of topic, but fuel tank related, What is the best way for draining the esprits fuel tanks,  As my s3 has been used in a while and i want to empty th eold fuel while i am changing all the other fluids. ?  

A

I'd take it outside and disconnect the cross over pipe connections then leave the filler caps off for a while

• Like 1

Hi Silverfrost,

I started by sticking a hose down the filler neck and trying to sypon it off. Didn't have too much luck with it so I loosened one of the jubilee clips on the cross over pipe at the bottom of the car, from there into a suitable fuel container. I found that i could control the flow by pushing the pipe back into place if and when the container got full.

bit of a pain but it was ok. Might put a tap in somewhere for next time!

7 minutes ago, davetoff said:

Hi Silverfrost,

I started by sticking a hose down the filler neck and trying to sypon it off. Didn't have too much luck with it so I loosened one of the jubilee clips on the cross over pipe at the bottom of the car, from there into a suitable fuel container. I found that i could control the flow by pushing the pipe back into place if and when the container got full.

bit of a pain but it was ok. Might put a tap in somewhere for next time!

Hi Dave, given the amount of esprits that have gone to Hethel heaven due to bay fires i myself would not put any extra taps,unions etc in the esprits fuel system, just another place for it to leak and risk fire in my IMO.  :)

A

Yeah and make sure you haven't got a fag on at the time :P

On the Turbo its easy to drain the tanks, you can simply disconnect the fuel feed to the pressure reg and use the fuel pump to run all the fuel into a container.

Not sure if the S3 would do this, the fuel pump is likely a bit slow for this to work.

12 hours ago, Andyww said:

On the Turbo its easy to drain the tanks, you can simply disconnect the fuel feed to the pressure reg and use the fuel pump to run all the fuel into a container.

Not sure if the S3 would do this, the fuel pump is likely a bit slow for this to work.

Cheers Andy, It would be possible on my S3 as i run 2 pumps the lotus pump and and a high pressure efi pump for the modern engine,  But i do not like idea of electrics and open fuel lines lol.  I could see myself and the car turning into Mr Crispy if i tried that method :P

A

I did it by running the pump to drain the tanks, worked fine. I just used a long bit of fuel hose into a jerrycan, then turned ignition on and let the pump click away. Flow was strong and fast. I then left the lids off and the hoses unconnected while I did other stuff to let vapour vent. 

You'll never get the tanks empty unless you drain them through the tank sumps and fuel lines. Easiest way is definitely to use the fuel pump; that's what it's for,, pumping fuel....  Even then, you'll probably get some spilling out as you wiggle the tanks about in the removal process!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Just removed near side tank this afternoon.  Inside is like new and the outside has pretty minimal rust. Foam is bone dry.  Will clean up and paint outside but thats all.  Will check the Off side next week. My engine is currently removed.  I have been told that these are removable with the engine in place.  I just cant see that!

Can anyone advise what type of foam is recommended to be used as a replacement from the original.  Something that doesn't soak up water.

Steve at SJ says the problem is not so much the foam but the rear windows leaking down. When I had mine out you could see where water had run down the inside of the body from the windows so I sealed the leaks with silicone.

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Mine showed clear water ingress from the air intake fixings - nothing from windows.......

Used a closed foam type. Camping shops cheap sleep on foam bases are probably the most cost effective

Only here once

pg-bt-idf-wreck-622x447.jpg

9cd3c56155496602498a6a48c1728a9e.jpg

74bec3e06345f09366a1930acd7a0bd2.jpg

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!