free hit
counters
Nitron 3-Way 46mm - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi Everyone,

its now time for me to seriously consider upgrading my suspension. I have done some research and ended up with the Nitron 3-Way Kit for the Exige V6 on top of my list.

I know 3-Way is quite complicated but with my amount of track use, I fear I would regret if I go only for a 2 way. And in particular the 2-Way Nitron looks like its only sold through Lotus anyway and therefore is pretty much the same price as the 3 way... 

What do you guys think? Oehlins as an alternative? 

Does anybody here have the 3-way Nitrons installed and can provide feedback? 

Thanks for your help ;-)

Cheers

Norbert

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Since you're a full member, I can supply that at a 10% discount :D

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

I've got the Nitron 46mm 3-ways on my LF1,

Taken a little messing with them over the last year but now getting really happy with them (I am by my own admission very difficult to please)

All that's really left to do now is a back to back with Dave at Seriously Lotus maybe a little fine tuning & then Dave should be able to offer a kit for whatever your specific application is....

• Like 1

Hi

I picked up a new 350 Sport a month or so ago and invested in Nitron 3 ways from Dave @ Seriously Lotus after some advice from both Dave and Richard Isherwood who I met through racing against each other last year. The Nitrons from Dave have been developed by Dave and Rich and so aren't set up quite the same as the ones you might get elsewhere.

I took it to Anglesey yesterday for it's first track day. We drove there and back on the forged light weight wheels and ZZRs.

I expected the car to handle well, in fact it handled superbly with near neutral handling and easy to balance between a slight understeer and oversteer that I was able to induce as I wanted to make the best progress, but what has surprised me is how compliant the car is on the road. It's certainly stiff, but not jarring or bouncy. I would go as far as to say it's smoother than when it had the standard set up on.

Very happy with them. They aren't cheap but if you're going to track your car and drive it on the road, for me, it's a no brainer. 

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Rich

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leg said:

Hi

I picked up a new 350 Sport a month or so ago and invested in Nitron 3 ways from Dave @ Seriously Lotus after some advice from both Dave and Richard Isherwood who I met through racing against each other last year. The Nitrons from Dave have been developed by Dave and Rich and so aren't set up quite the same as the ones you might get elsewhere.

I took it to Anglesey yesterday for it's first track day. We drove there and back on the forged light weight wheels and ZZRs.

I expected the car to handle well, in fact it handled superbly with near neutral handling and easy to balance between a slight understeer and oversteer that I was able to induce as I wanted to make the best progress, but what has surprised me is how compliant the car is on the road. It's certainly stiff, but not jarring or bouncy. I would go as far as to say it's smoother than when it had the standard set up on.

Very happy with them. They aren't cheap but if you're going to track your car and drive it on the road, for me, it's a no brainer. 

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Rich

Thanks Richard, it's great to know you are happy.

One thing that's important as you say is the ones you have are NOT the standard off the shelf nitrons.

Ishy and i between us have now done 2-3000 road miles and about 200 laps on various circuits. Fine tuning valving and spring rates for the kit that you have

The benefits as you are well aware the dampers come pre set for ride height and damping adjustment. Basically how your car is now.

Edited by Seriouslylotus

17 hours ago, Seriouslylotus said:

One thing that's important as you say is the ones you have are NOT the standard off the shelf nitrons.

Ishy and i between us have now done 2-3000 road miles and about 200 laps on various circuits. Fine tuning valving and spring rates for the kit that you have

The benefits as you are well aware the dampers come pre set for ride height and damping adjustment. Basically how your car is now.

Ha Ha & then the rest...........

@NW76 -- Norbert, while I can't give direct experience for use of 3-way Nitrons on the V6 Exige, I have been running the 46mm Nitrons on my 2-Eleven for sometime now and they are very good.  Setup is also not that tough ….  some advice from Dave and others and you will get a good baseline.  Then, a little tweaking/fine tuning on the adjustments and you get the car set up to "your" desires/comfort level.  Everyone is a little different on the  precise handling characteristics that allow them to feel the most confident/comfortable on track.  Just my 2-cents. ;)

• Like 1

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

Jack: thanks!

I ended up going with the Oehlins Road & Track and I am quite happy with it. A big step forward from the OEM dampers ... 

Cheers

Norbert

10 minutes ago, NW76 said:

Jack: thanks!

I ended up going with the Oehlins Road & Track and I am quite happy with it. A big step forward from the OEM dampers ... 

Cheers

Norbert

Why the sudden switch from favouring the Nitron 3 way to going the Ohlin 1 way?

www.alias23.com

1 hour ago, alias23 said:

Why the sudden switch from favouring the Nitron 3 way to going the Ohlin 1 way?

I was torn between various options in 2016, when I did my research and the Nitron 3-way seemed a very good option. But I could not find anybody in Germany using them on a V6 Exige and would have had to find a setup myself.

In the end, I went the safe route and therefore upgraded to the Oehlins RnT with the Track Setup. They are just 1-way but the setup I got has been well refined on various tracks. Also a one way is enough for me right now, a 3 way might have just been too much....

7 hours ago, NW76 said:

I was torn between various options in 2016, when I did my research and the Nitron 3-way seemed a very good option. But I could not find anybody in Germany using them on a V6 Exige and would have had to find a setup myself.

In the end, I went the safe route and therefore upgraded to the Oehlins RnT with the Track Setup. They are just 1-way but the setup I got has been well refined on various tracks. Also a one way is enough for me right now, a 3 way might have just been too much....

This is the reason we are having a special set of one way nitrons built. These will be based on the three way settings we now have.

The three ways we supply come prepared set for ride height with all three adjusters also pretty set for road use. We can also offer the basic track settings for them

• Like 1

I think you guys should read this web site:  www.fatcatmotorsports.com

..  I personally dislike the owner!  BUT... he makes some really good suspension with the Bilsteins NO adjustments... Thats because few in the road suspension business tailors things like nitrogen pressure or pays attention to the details such as spring rates and sway bar thickness when prescribing the valving...  No adjustments needed when you can custom valve properly.

If anything you will learn a lot about suspension tuning.

Lotus does a really good job with their Bilstein shocks but they can do better..

Edited by Bentzion

If the only thing constant is change, then why do we resist change the most?