free hit
counters
Evora Big Brake upgrade - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Evora Big Brake upgrade

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Price compared to Evora 400 discs?

Also I see that EliseShop now does bell and rotor discs for Evora.

On Order: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

The whole kit including a set of ferrodo 2500 pads comes in under 2k, I went for the upgraded pad option so it came in £100 more. The kit is on his web page.

Haven't seen the elise shop offering but I imagine it's a not a fully floating disc and bell. Also the kit above increases the overall disc and pad size what with using a larger caliper.

You're right, they are fixed bells.

http://www.elise-shop.com/ap-front-racing-discs-and-aluminium-bells-evora-evora-s-p-503072.html

but at £1000, they're a good way towards similar performance as you have for half the price?

On Order: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow

11 minutes ago, CocoPops said:

http://www.elise-shop.com/ap-front-racing-discs-and-aluminium-bells-evora-evora-s-p-503072.html

but at £1000, they're a good way towards similar performance as you have for half the price?

Not really comparing apples with apples!

Those are fix bell 350mm. The ones GAv has are proper fully floating with 362mm ap discs along with bigger calipers and bigger pads.

• Like 1

Yes I'm sure they will be much better than stock but they won't be anywhere near as effective as a f/floating bell. Imo fixed bells are fine for cars upto 1000-1200kg  for really hard work, anything above that should go f/f. 

An Evora with 2 passengers is pushing 1550+kg all up and is why you see the std discs have gone the way they have in 600miles. Too much heat being put in and the disc being a single peice affair doesn't allow for even expansion.

The new V6 Exige Cups cars now come from the factory with fully floating front bells (used to be fixed) and they weigh in at 1300kg fully loaded with 2 passengers, there is a reason they have changed over to them and its not cost as f/f bells and the fixings cost more!

It's horses for courses, and the brake world very much has two sides to it,  performance and bling!

This kit has both in spades and I doubt I'll out perform them like I did the std ones, plus they look so good!!

Edited by TheKevlarKid

1 hour ago, CocoPops said:

Aha, that's what I've been waiting for. Thanks for the link. 

So back to the 400 Dave, will your kit (or a derivative of) replace the oem (expensive) brakes?

if your floating bells are £k inc calipers, then the floating bells with right size disc alone should be cheaper than oem replacement?

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

9 minutes ago, TBD said:

Cross drilled... No thanks! The drill holes are the weakest part of the disc and is why you see the cracks coming from them above. For a performance and longevity upgrade I'd always go slotted.

Edited by TheKevlarKid

Interesting thread... also explains why my discs (all 4) were gone after approx 2,000km of hard track use ... and I thought I killed them in the rain in Spa because I have not cooled them down enough...

Looks like it was a mistake to go back to another set of OEMs now - I was already looking at upgrade options but then my dealer told me that Lotus can not believe sbdy killed the discs within just a couple of 1000 kms... and that the OEMs on the Exige should be fine even for "heavy useres"... anyway they should last me through the rest of the season and I can then order the upgrade next Winter....

If you killed them in 2k on a Exige I'd look at a fully floating front set up with a slotted disc like what the Cup cars have on them..

Rear wear you have experienced in that time though seems really high. I presume it will be down to the dpm traction control kicking in and applying the rear brakes. If you turn it off all together I reckon you will see 3-4x more life out of them.

Edited by TheKevlarKid

The rear wear certainly was my mistake ... I did the rain run in Spa on Sport... and should not have done that ...

I might do the Kobra4 upgrade from KT for the Exige... it has a two piece slotted disc... 

Looks good, i'm experimenting with ducting to cool the OEM setup.  I did Snetterton a couple of month ago and Silverstone GP on Monday (all in a logged 562mi of track time)  and the car has held up remarkably considering - but heat is the main enemy and it shows after a few hot laps. 

I'm steering away from big brake kits (which have been my go to first option in previous cars) as whilst they do provide a significant improvement they still run into the thermal wall and all i'd be doing is delaying the inevitable.  

Once i've gotten the cooling sorted if i still have dramas i can always look into this :) i'll be taking pictures as i route the ducting and cut various bits to accommodate so i'll put them up in a thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Cracks from the holes will appear, it's when they get about 15-20mm long or are getting close to the edge of the disc that you need to start worrying. Yours above are pretty normal in that respect.

Looking at the picture you have posted I'd actually say the discs are very close to the wear limit and will need replacing soon, you have some big old lips going on... think the max wear is 1mm per side, 2mm total and it looks like you have easily 1mm lip.

I have some new std front discs here going cheap that I no longer need... pm me if your interested.

Edited by TheKevlarKid