Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine & Gearbox Oils? - Page 2 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine & Gearbox Oils?

20 hours ago, Ian Lockwood said:

Hmm, 0w40 for track use, I have 5w40 Pro S in as that's always done me proud on track, but now I'm wondering if I should go 0w40 (although I do more road miles than track...)

If you look at the additional info given with the cup cars Lotus recommend a 10w60 Mobil for track use.... This is what I have always used in my Lotus on track and still use in my 360Cup

Here is a copy of page 7 in the supplementary info from the 360 cup

2.2 Fluids

The fluids used on the Lotus Racing Exige Cup Car remain the same as shown in the Owner’s Handbook.

This vehicle is supplied on running in oil. Under no circumstances should the engine be stressed whilst this oil

is in the system. Please follow the running in procedure laid out in the standard Owner’s Handbook (1,000 miles

of careful driving) to bed in the engine, clutch and gearbox. Once this is complete Lotus Racing recommend that

the oil and filter are changed and that Mobil 1 10w 60 is used on refill.

Also please note that when on track it is recommended that the oil level is kept to a maximum on the dipstick in

order to ensure engine durability

Edited by Seriouslylotus
  • Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
3 minutes ago, Seriouslylotus said:

If you look at the additional info given with the cup cars Lotus recommend a 10w60 Mobil for track use.... This is what I have always used in my Lotus on track and still use in my 360Cup

That makes more sense for track. IIRC that's what we've got in the Caterham's Duratec. Stops the film strength from breaking down under hot, high revving conditions. 

3 hours ago, Seriouslylotus said:

Here is a copy of page 7 in the supplementary info from the 360 cup

2.2 Fluids

The fluids used on the Lotus Racing Exige Cup Car remain the same as shown in the Owner’s Handbook.

This vehicle is supplied on running in oil. Under no circumstances should the engine be stressed whilst this oil

is in the system. Please follow the running in procedure laid out in the standard Owner’s Handbook (1,000 miles

of careful driving) to bed in the engine, clutch and gearbox. Once this is complete Lotus Racing recommend that

the oil and filter are changed and that Mobil 1 10w 60 is used on refill.

Also please note that when on track it is recommended that the oil level is kept to a maximum on the dipstick in

order to ensure engine durability

So I guess the 360 Cup info was published before that page showing 0w40? The older page shows 10w60 for track use.

That begs the question, which should it be and why did Lotus change their mind!?

3 minutes ago, Ian Lockwood said:

So I guess the 360 Cup info was published before that page showing 0w40? The older page shows 10w60 for track use.

That begs the question, which should it be and why did Lotus change their mind!?

Personas don't make a 10w60 possibly??

On 01/09/2016 at 14:09, Ian Lockwood said:

The page I posted was from a December 2014 car, additional info on cup states 10w60 Mobil 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/26/2016 at 07:48, alias23 said:

Hi

Did you end up using this gearbox oil please? my service is coming up in couple of months and I plan on switching to GL5, just trying to decide which one to go for.

Thanks

1 hour ago, RedViper said:

Ok thanks. Is there any benefit of using an oil that's both GL4 and GL5 rated like the Motul Gear 300 over one that's just GL5 like the Redline?

Ohhh couldn't comment I'm afraid but KT the Motul one was highly recommended to me by a few folks. I think it was a touch cheaper than the Redline from memory.

www.alias23.com

Oil pressure benefits from the 60 weight oil when doing track work.  Also, if you log oil temps, you will see that they can get quite high when pushing hard on track.

Motul 300V for both gearbox and crankcase is my choice.

BTW, 300V oil will require more frequent changes ….. it's not an extended service/drain oil. ;)

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

• 2 years later...

My car is 2014 V6 and about 30tkm. 10W60 was used all the time depending on service records. I think that its too thick for my spirited and alpine driving. Do you guys think it would be good idea to switch to Mobil 1 0W40 / 5W40 or stick with 10W60 Castrol Edge. 

thanks

6 hours ago, notabene said:

My car is 2014 V6 and about 30tkm. 10W60 was used all the time depending on service records. I think that its too thick for my spirited and alpine driving. Do you guys think it would be good idea to switch to Mobil 1 0W40 / 5W40 or stick with 10W60 Castrol Edge. 

thanks

IMO you can't go wrong with 10W60.  As always, let the car (oil) warm up fully before this "spirited" drives.  IMO of course.

48 minutes ago, Kristof Thys said:

can't go wrong with 10W60

What's the logic of going against the manufacturer's guidance in engine oil grade?

40 minutes ago, vd9 said:

What's the logic of going against the manufacturer's guidance in engine oil grade?

there were also 10w60 recommendations. so thats why. 

my question is whats if its safe to switch from 10w60 to 0w40/5w40 and if yes, if that does make sense

image.thumb.jpeg.5c6f9445df0887c8c394b8dbd0c95c96.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d61e399317359f54fc46c4ba9f832269.jpeg

1 hour ago, notabene said:

there were also 10w60 recommendations. so thats why

Ah that's interesting, I've only seen the newer version of the instructions. Thank you for sharing!

I'd stick to 5W40 for any mixed use Exige V6. Reason, in my opinion, being that Exige uses relatively modern Toyota engine with relatively standard internals (pistons, bearings, compression rings, etc.) and supposedly tight tolerances all fairly low mileage.

Edited by vd9