free hit
counters
Battery Tray photo required - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
stephenwhyte

Battery Tray photo required

A favour required from all of you early Turbo Esprit owners for a photo of your battery trays in the boot area please. 

Thanks in advance 

Stephen 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Will do tomorrow

Thanks Gents - it would actually be helpful to see a few different ones

Steve I can do this tomorrow as well if you want me to 

• Like 1

Here's one I've posted before for my 82 Turbo

y3mX30F_3wOVwsG9Z8-mJRiHklrRlos0Phr2KXwJ

• Like 1

Thanks - That's good but I'm looking for a view showing a bit more to include the bodywork around behind the battery and tray to also show the black paint over the body coloured fibreglass, as I want to see where the black paint starts and finishes behind the hose in this pic .

Question as a result of your pic though - do the rods have to be covered in rubber (insulation / earthing etc?) for any reason or are they ok just to be metal rods? Mine are missing (about the only thing that is missing from the car) and I need to get new ones.

And another question - why does it get so dirty in there?:angry:

1 hour ago, Dan E said:

Steve I can do this tomorrow as well if you want me to 

Yes please Dan if you don't mind, but it will difficult to spot where the under seal paint is on a black car but I'm interested in the layout the battery & tray of a few different cars too for comparison, so that would be great 

I'll have you know that's original Hethel dirt in there :)

I'll go and take another one after the program that has just started on Channel 5 - "The Cars that made Britain Great"

• Like 1

Oh - classic vintage dirt.........might need to put that in a sealed container and sell it as it must be worth a fortune by now!!!:huh:

Shit I forgot about that programme - thanks for that & the forthcoming photo!!:thumbup:

Blimey, I can't get a good shot. It's dark and the phone/camera won't focus properly - got some lovely wires in focus, with the back all blurred - maybe go for pic of the month :)

Let's see what others come up with as it will be Sunday before I can get the car out into daylight.

Do you want behind the battery to the right where the light cut outs are - all black I think on my car - my rear bumper is colour coded from the factory when I had it replaced after some dickhead ran into the back of me in the 80s.

or is it looking upwards underneath the bodywork?

The programme was OK, but I had no idea who half of the talking heads were.

Just behind the battery on the wing and at the light clusters would be brill. If you want to go the full hog it would be even better without the battery in place but totally understand if you can't be arsed with the hassle involved taking it out:evil:

Is this any good? Its not very interesting in there though.

DSCN3203.JPG

Yes that's helpful - thanks Andy. Sorry to be PITA but any chance of one showing the tray it's in too? ie. To show the other side as Chris has as there appears to be more then one tray type.

Chris your one wouldn't happen to be an aftermarket one like the one SJ Sportscars offer? I only ask on the back of you mentioning the incident when someone ran into yours - was the battery tray replaced or is it original?

One of the things on the "to do" list is to fix the tray down because its loose. So I could take out the battery tomorrow and do this and take some pics.

In fact I would be interested to know what is supposed to hold the tray down as there doesnt seem to be anything. One of the battery securing threaded rods mounts into the tray or maybe both, so its not held down by the battery.

• Like 1

That would be prefect Andy - good timing!! :thumbup:

Barrie - if you're still ok to show us your battery tray, I'm really keen to see your one seeing it's a very early example, for comparison.

Thanks for all your help lads!

This tuned out to be a useful exercise as much as I suspected there was nothing holding the battery tray down. It seems it should be held down by one bolt in the middle of the base (missing) and silicone sealant around the edges (unstuck). The battery is secured to the tray by the threaded rods which go into bobbins.

The battery sits on a rubber pad.

Here is a picture of the area without the tray and the tray itself. Let me know if you need a pic with the tray back in, although this will be later as I need to go to Toolstation to buy some silicone.

DSCN3206.JPG

batttray.jpg

16 hours ago, ChrisJ said:

I'll have you know that's original Hethel dirt in there :)

Chapman would never have allowed that unless it was special lightweight dirt :)

Steve I have just got to cut the grass then I am on washing the car so I will get some pics then for you 

• Like 1

Took some pictures of mine - 82 Dry Sump Esprit.

You can see the tray is a separate item which is fixed down with sealant.

There is a rubber pad which the battery sits on.

100_2714.JPG

100_2716.JPG

100_2717.JPG

100_2718.JPG

100_2719.JPG

:) 

Looks like yours also doesnt have the bolt at the bottom of the well, although the hole is there. That retaining bar is showing signs of wear :)

3 hours ago, Dan E said:

Steve I have just got to cut the grass then I am on washing the car so I will get some pics then for you 

That would be great Dan. 

Mine is different to all of the above so far. I'm wondering (seeing as I have the first wet sump) whether there was a change made that differed from the dry sump version. It's a subtle difference mind you and one only the anoraks amongst us (I now sadly have to include myself here) will give a toss about.......B-)

Mine is an early wet sump. But as we know, no two cars were ever quite the same :)

• Like 1

Steve I have no idea if this is any help. 

I hope so. 

Also noticed when I took the boot bag out it looks like it should have some insulation in the boot. 

image.jpeg

I also have no idea why I that is upside down sorry 

As promised

P1000433 (1024x768).jpg