free hit
counters
Battery Tray photo required - Page 3 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
stephenwhyte

Battery Tray photo required

This is from a 1983 USA spec owners handbook - different again :)

y3mebojN_3FbwgYXNeF8w-1DL53-8NyUC0qV7i26

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I never though of looking in the handbook to see if there was a pic in mine - need to check that. 

Here is a pic of the tray from my handbook which actually appears to be a carry over booklet still containing a lot of dry-sump references. However you will see that the illustration shows the battery tray design and positioning of the battery - this must have been the initial layout as first thought and then changed to the alternative at some point in '82. Looks like I'm now looking for a 093 battery for the right fitment.

image.jpeg

Mine is a July 82 car and had definitely changed by then.

Do US spec cars have a different layout plus a battery cover? and also in the US 1983 handbook the inertia switch is located on the Ignition Box - what's the ignition box?

The handbook also might explain why there are the dangly bits of string in US cars to hold the engine cover open as it says "before removing the engine cover lid from vehicle, disconnect the fan harness connector block at right front of the engine bay".

Pretty much everything is different on US cars. They have a compartment at the front of the boot which houses electrical stuff with a big fuse board. The electrics are totally different. The binnacle has multi-way quick disconnect plugs. Engine cover has a big fan.

Many improved details all over the car while they continued the non-US version unchanged. One reason was cost, the US cars were much more expensive than the non-US so they had more money to  play with in equipping the car. Even those bits of string cost money!

Well I can now confirm the battery bracket to hold the battery on mine isn't a straightforward part either, as I have just received the one that is supposed to fit from SJ Sportscars and it doesn't fit.......it's too short. It's the only thing that appears to be missing from the car, so need to find an alternative - anyone got any suggestions where I can get an alternative for the front to back battery tray set up?

I just used a bit of ally bar stock and drilled 2 holes in it. And another hole for mounting the added battery isolator switch to it. 

Need to get a couple of wing nuts to do it properly which is why its not screwed down yet.

DSCN3209.JPG

• Like 1

Following on from the battery tray chat - can anyone confirm what the bolt size is for the rods in the battery tray? I've been told M6 but want to be sure before buying. Thanks

M8.

Toolstation sell stainless threaded rod.

Bought M6 ones tonight from B&Q - they're M8.......wish I had seen your post earlier Andy. Thanks anyway Tim - Steve at SJ thought the same as you. Probably another change in line with the battery tray change

These cars are all different, someone will probably say theirs are M10 in a minute :)

So with regard the hole in the bottom of the battery tray, can anyone confirm if it is a vent hole (as I thought) or it should have a bolt in it?

If it does have a bolt in it, what does it do?

Also with regard the battery clamp boilts, M6 Stainless steel rod is perfect.

Mine doesn't have a bolt and I can't see a good reason for having one. I can however see a good reason for a drain hole. :) 

Mine has a bolt and it appears to be there to hold the tray in place even though it also appears to be bonded all round. 

image.jpeg

21 hours ago, Andyww said:

These cars are all different, someone will probably say theirs are M10 in a minute :)

Ha ha - like it. There's only 2 types of tray Andy, I am now pretty confident of that anyway.....early tray up to early '82 like mine, and then a change to the alternative style after that. Battery size is different - anything bigger than 210mm X 170mm won't fit in mine, so therefore 075 is too big and I now have a 063 in place.  Bolts are different too. At least we have all learned something from this exercise :thumbup:

• Like 1

Battery now in place and secured:)

IMG_3472.JPG

• Like 1