free hit
counters
S1 to 400 First impressions - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

S1 to 400 First impressions

Colin P

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

The dirt comes off easy enough, but there are lots of little corners to get in. You may be right that it's not as obvious on black, but it must have taken me 10 minutes a wheel to get into all the nooks and crannies.

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Yes to all of the above :lol:

I do have a cargo net, never got round to fitting it. Must do it.

Agreed in storage in the car, door pockets aren't great. But I do prefer the extra space the thinner doors afford to the cabinet.

I'm at 2670 miles now, just gets better. Although I do only get a decent fuel economy on a long run, the exhaust is just too addictive when mooching about!! :lol:

On Order: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

• Gold FFM

I hate cleaning the black wheels. The problem is the moment they get wet, they look clean - it's only when they dry can you see the spots you missed.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

On Order: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow

• Gold FFM

Glad you're all enjoying the upgrade from S1 to 400, I am sure the extra performance is very, very addicitive.

Have to admit the shape of the 400 has really grown on me and I do like it so not in the camp of "purity of the S1 shape etc." as I do indeed like them both. Like the S1, the SR look or "black pack" I think is very colour sensitive, working superb on some colours but not on others at all. But that again is personal choice.  

I prefer the interior of the original S1 - I just like the brushed metal dash and centre console etc. and I really do not think the button placement is as much an issue as people are making out as come on, be honest, how often do you actually use those buttons? To me the S1 interior just looks and feels more special - all leather and metal whereas the 400 interior looks a tad more, and say this loosely, germanic, with it's liberal use of black plastic on the dash.  Not a massive criticsm, i just think a backward step from the S1 which in my view was beautifully simple and clean -very classy in fact - but it would not "annoy" me if I owned a 400, I'd still feel like an international playboy when inside it :)

I'm also with @Colin P re the exhaust. i have never liked the pig snout exhaust, whether on an S1 S, and Exige V6 or the 400. I just think it looks crap and the blue tipped double pipe just looks more, well, just more.....  But I accept that is a very personal point.

I also love the look of the engine bay of the 400, either through the glass or through the open tailgate. it just looks like a proper sports car engine unlike the S1 NA which just looks like a lump of iron with some wires - nothing special at all.

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

I agree. Really like it, but I'm not sorry for going off topic. Good art needs to be appreciated. :)

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

@Colin P nice idea for a Topic! (and very nice spec for a 400)

Esp I would like to know how do you like the seats of the 400 compared to the S1, esp after a Long ride. I have just sat a very short time in the 400 but my first Impression had been that the older recaros are far superior. Always a matter of taste of course but I guess that the recaros would offer more "Long ride comfort / Quality". Looking (roughly) at Prices for the recaros and in comparison to them for the italian 400 seats I got the Imagination that Commercial reasons might have played a role for the Change..... 

• Gold FFM

Really? I was thinking more tricked up Saxo for the snout. But yeah, personal choice and preference.

• Gold FFM
5 hours ago, Snoopy1969 said:

Esp I would like to know how do you like the seats of the 400 compared to the S1, esp after a Long ride. I have just sat a very short time in the 400 but my first Impression had been that the older recaros are far superior. Always a matter of taste of course but I guess that the recaros would offer more "Long ride comfort / Quality". Looking (roughly) at Prices for the recaros and in comparison to them for the italian 400 seats I got the Imagination that Commercial reasons might have played a role for the Change..... 

I don't think there is a lot in it. The Recaros gave me a little back ache until I found the right adjustment, so did the Sparcos. Both seats also need a little time to "adjust" to you. I'm still making very minor adjustments to the Sparcos but they are very comfortable once you've done a few hundred miles in them. One thing's for sure, they breathe a lot better than the Recaros.

I do recall a couple of times thinking "so that's where Lotus saved a few £", however these points are obviously of such little significance I'm having trouble recalling what they were.

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

• Gold FFM

At a car show recently many kids shouted about "That exhaust" - personally I never thought the exhaust on the 400 was much to shout about.

Mine is frustratingly black however!

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

And then they spent money where it wasn't needed... Like the black plastic trim between rear bumper and clam (inside boot kid) to cover some bolt heads.

Nope, completely superfluous.

I too made the S1 to 400 leap and like everyone else i have been more than happy with the change.  I do have one little niggle that i am sure is just my imagination but, in the old S1, the difference between touring and sport mode was night and day.  So much that i often thought the S1 was broken if i started driving it in touring!

For the 400 however, i am not seeing a noticeable difference between the two modes (ignoring the obvious exhaust valve opening).  I wonder if it is due to the touring mode being that much better now with the super charger vs the NA.  The car doesn't feel materially sharper in throttle response or quicker but part of me thinks i am just imagining it now especially as i don't feel it lacks power in the sport mode.  Has anyone else who has made the jump noticed a similar thing or is it just me?!  i am told the difference is less pronounced in the manual vs auto but that could have been said to just keep me quiet...!

Cheers!

• Gold FFM
On 05/09/2016 at 21:52, Colin P said:

The dirt comes off easy enough, but there are lots of little corners to get in. You may be right that it's not as obvious on black, but it must have taken me 10 minutes a wheel to get into all the nooks and crannies.

Use the wife's toothbrush!

4 hours ago, DanChantler said:

I too made the S1 to 400 leap and like everyone else i have been more than happy with the change.  I do have one little niggle that i am sure is just my imagination but, in the old S1, the difference between touring and sport mode was night and day.  So much that i often thought the S1 was broken if i started driving it in touring!

For the 400 however, i am not seeing a noticeable difference between the two modes (ignoring the obvious exhaust valve opening).  I wonder if it is due to the touring mode being that much better now with the super charger vs the NA.  The car doesn't feel materially sharper in throttle response or quicker but part of me thinks i am just imagining it now especially as i don't feel it lacks power in the sport mode.  Has anyone else who has made the jump noticed a similar thing or is it just me?!  i am told the difference is less pronounced in the manual vs auto but that could have been said to just keep me quiet...!

Cheers!

From memory my S1 S version  in Sports mode always used to tick over 200 rpm higher than touring.  Almost as though the mode was just always slightly on the throttle more.   On the 400 Auto I press the Sports button  as soon as I get in the car and use the paddles in manual mode, so have rarely used "normal" mode. 

14 hours ago, Snoopy1969 said:

From memory the Recaros felt better and lower, but it was 3 years ago.  I dare not sit back in a S1 just in case I do prefer the older seats 

On 5 September 2016 at 21:52, Colin P said:

Christ I manage to clean all 4 wheels in less than 5 mins :lol:

• Like 1

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

5 hours ago, DJW said:

From memory my S1 S version  in Sports mode always used to tick over 200 rpm higher than touring.  Almost as though the mode was just always slightly on the throttle more.   On the 400 Auto I press the Sports button  as soon as I get in the car and use the paddles in manual mode, so have rarely used "normal" mode. 

I was always in Race mode.

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.