free hit
counters
Earth issue...I think - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Buddsy

Earth issue...I think

Hi chaps. Coming back from the weekend do at Great Yarmouth I noticed a couple of time the rev countre jumped a bit. Engine sounded and felt ok. Then I noticed when indicating the rev countre was jumping with the flashes. 

Im thinking there is a dodgy earth somewhere. Any ideas of places to start the search?

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Well today I checked the condition of the fan connections as I often get a slight fan fail warning which I have been told is most likely an earth problem. Well connections look sound all 6. I've used bullet connections which I don't think are really the right thing for the job. I will change for something more sealed to the environment soon. Next I checked the alternator connections and belt. All look pretty sound. I did notice a small connection to the starter solenoid was a bit loose so I sorted that. Then I noticed the heavy brown cable from the alternator to the starter.... 

IMG_20160918_180739691.jpg

So if you can't see its loose where it should be connected to the solenoid. Hopefully fixing this will help me!

Buddsy

About 40 minutes and it's standing by the roadside swearing

• Like 1

Only here once

Well driving back in the rain with lights and wiper on the alternator warning was on. I thought maybe the damp had found its way in some where. Tried to start her tonight to check all was ok for tomorrow and found battery was all but dead...hence my investigation.

Buddsy

Nice and easy to fix though :animier:

id id be blaming the guy that fitted that :rofl:

Only here once

On 18 September 2016 at 15:01, Barrykearley said:

About 40 minutes and it's standing by the roadside swearing

45 minutes after your exciter wire falls off.

Margate Exotics.

Funny that it's a brown wire. That would be the color of a ground wire on a German car. 

Jon - 1984 Esprit Turbo

Brown is used as an active colour for mains cable, changed from traditional Red/Black to Brown/Blue as better for colour blind people. Maybe they thought similarly for car power?

Nope - nowt to do with blind people the red/black to brown/blue swap. It was all to do with harmonising us further with the EU !!!

Only here once

21 hours ago, jcslocum said:

Funny that it's a brown wire. That would be the color of a ground wire on a German car. 

And on some Triumphs (Stag Mk2 for example) black is used for certain live 12V feeds...

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I have has a Stag and lover her. No electrical issues and enjoyed her for years. Wonderful sounding engine!

Jon - 1984 Esprit Turbo

I agree the Stag is a very nice car to drive, especially the manual. But I'll be happy when my current automatic gets sold, as it just doesn't get driven.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.