free hit
counters
V8 head gaskets - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Barrykearley

V8 head gaskets

Right - I've heard loads of stories about this - and I think it's time this was outed and resolved. I've seen all sorts on here from creaky seats to bad water pumps and all sorts Inbetween - but this question and possible answers for v8 owners is expensive and important to get right.

"so who's had head gasket issues recently and what type of head gasket was it and where from?"

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

No mate I do not - I have had a fair few people contact me via email with shocking stories - this really needs addressing before any more are fitted IF it's true

I just found out that jae sold me aftermarket head gaskets for 3years, 2 rebuild blown engine  after 100 miles wtfffffffff, thank god I haven't filled oil or coolant I'm taking engine out and ordering oem head gaskets. I found out that the material used in the aftermarket head gasket is diffrent then oem. Point blank enough said YOU GUYS DON'T WANNA KNOW HOW FURIOUS I AM I THINK EVERYONE IN THE 20 MILE RADIUS OF ME AND MY HOUSE IS SCARED AND IN BED BECAUSE OF MY SCREAMING.

Omggggggg I'm sooooo discussed,  I know I have done everything right for 3 years and all this pain and stress and money ????? Why is this mockery of lotus esprit going on this seems like a deliberate attempt to get people's money over and over again are u kidding me, it makes perfect sense ,y car ran great for 100 miles then all of a sudden over heating blown head gasket , this explains everything this is like the holy grail !!! THANK YOU SO MUCH BARRY THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOO MUCHHHHH FOR YOU EMAIL TO ME LOVE YOU BRO. YOU JUST SAVED ME FROM HURTING ALOT OF PEOPLE.

I was never ever told that those head gaskets were not oem I FEEL REALLY DISCUSTED and I'm almost rdy to take back everything good I had to say .

Edited by Esprit1129

Slow down.........and don't jump to conclusions. There could be lots of reasons for gasket failure. Block flatness, head flatness, out of tolerance head bolts, poor fitting etc.

We still have not had anyone post anything on here that shows there is a problem. 

My engine blew 3 times with those head gaskets and I've spoke to several people who are verifieingy this,.... and when I say people I mean well established business, owners who deal with this car, specifically  need I say more

Those people have scared the day lights out of me when I spoke to them earlier today,  I was told they are the dam problem.

Edited by Esprit1129

I think you know for a fact those gaskets are crap that's why you took the time out of your day to warn me about them. From there I made the calls and talked and verified that those head gaskets are crap. I'm out how much more money now??? Really know one wants to admit the fact but I will im tired of this shit lotus used certain head gaskets for a reason they are 600 or 500 each, it would make a lot of sense to make a large quantity for cheap and makeasy huge profit, please I wasn't born yesterday, I was tonight THANK U GOD FOR HAULTING THIS PROCESS I COULD NOT TAKE THE STRESS AGAIN. THANK YOU BARRY FOR UR CONCERNED EMAIL TO HELP ME NOT GO THRU HELL. AGAIN

Edited by Esprit1129

I know nothing factual about these gaskets. But I have heard a lot of horror stories.

what I do know is I'm glad I didn't need to take the heads off mine when I did it.

if there is enough people with the same problems - I'd say there's a definite issue and it needs sorting.

this is a whole different ball game to a squeaky evora seat. 

I'm putting oem ones in when I take engine back out lolll without even putting any fluids in pathetic!!!!  I wish I had a lotus shop from heathels around east coast usa!!!that I knew would never put a human being thru this nightmare

Do I have to change the rest of the gaskets thru out the engine??? Cars never been turned on no fluids , still brand new ??? What the hell do i do now??? I knew I should of bought a dam ferrari

You will be able to lift of the cylinder heads without disturbing the liners - just don't rotate the crank before re-installing the heads.

As the engine has not run, you may also get away with re-using the plenum gaskets.

Still a whole lot of work.... :-(

Almost makes me want to sell this thing , even though it's brand new and insane, I don't even care anymore , maybe I'll just put a cover on it and pretend it's not here?

Is there any way to take heads of while engine is in? And when u mean get away? I would not mind spending extra bucks on new gasket just please tell me what I have to do , this thing is pristine I don't mind just tell me ur honest advice

- best part of 1 day for engine out (maybe a little less as you have some parts already away)

- 6 hours for removing and re-fitting heads and setting up cam timing

- best part of 1 day to re-install the engine

Cam timing ? U mean timing belts unbelievable?  I'm in awwwww... do I really need to change these brand new after market head gaskets ?!!!! Comonnn this can't be happening I was just so happy!!!  I just can't do the blown engine thing again ide rather have a 150k esprit in my garage and not drive it then blow my motor because of greed.

These are from erLing, that's what jae told me, I don't know what to f....n doooo dammit!!!

Listen I was told by a vendor of lotus esprit stuff that these gaskets are no good?? All these people freaking me out again

ERLING HEAD GASKETS  thats the ones that i have from jae??? Dude my car is almost rdy to start what do i do?

We have had a number of enquiries from worried v8 owners about head gaskets fitted to V8 customer cars and supplied by our spares department (me running up and down the stairs). All head gaskets supplied or fitted are genuine and sourced from Lotus. Rest assured we are in regular contact with many customers and keep a close eye on all products supplied by ourselves and take steps if any quality issues should arise

13895333_1119188071452768_8584111924129767402_n.jpg

Lotus engineering

Edited by Esprit1129

He told me they are a sister company of the oem supplier, erling ? Thats his answer and has said out of 492 gaskets he said there were 10  fails? But said it was because of heads not machined right and other mistakes made???  Then he told me they have oem head gaskets for 500 each??? Maybe after 3 rebuilds without me knowing i have aftermarket head gaskets now i hear they have oem after all the money me and family spent?? I think i coulda shelled out few hundred bucks for oem head gaskets after they million i just spent ??????