free hit
counters
V8 head gaskets - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Barrykearley

V8 head gaskets

Really i think somene needs to explain to me what i should do, 3 years 3 head gaskets? Im not trying to shoot for 4. THIS ISNT A MONEY WASTING COMPETITION SORRY BUT I NEED ATLEAST SOME APOLOGIES AND FREE THINGS

Bs after all the installing and restoration i gotta order clavos gauge again and take engine back out because im afraid of the head gasket thats in my car????? Wtfff someone pleasee help

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Just checked - the current OEM head gaskets in my workshop are made by Elring.  These are stamped up with the Lotus part number and supplied by Lotus themselves.

Unless you have specific reasons to question failures of these gaskets supplied by Lotus, I would not be loosing my head over it.

• Like 2

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Ok so why did he tell me that he has oem gaskets for sale at 500 each? It makes no sense still to me if thegasket is not oem but made by elring ??? How could it be from lotus???  He said he has oem gasket if i want them so that means my elring are aftermarket?!?!???

Edited by Esprit1129

You've lost me.

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

Jae told me today that i have elring headgasket but they are aftermarket a sister company. Then he told me he has oem gasket he can sell me if i dont wanna use the aftermarket one theyve stuck me with a 4th time. I never new i was buying none oem head gasket s?? My car has blown 3 times with same gaskets they have sold me ?? Is that easier for you

He told me i have elring head gaskets but they are not oem?????? Exact words out his mouth

I was warned by the wrath of god to not use these head gaskets jae sold me ?? So you tell me why a big lotus vendor owner would tell me that and scare the shkt out of me?

Edited by Esprit1129

Heres some quotes from the archives 

Oct 09, 2015 - #11

Stu
To make a very very long story short it was the Viton coating applied to the head gasket. I now only use OEM Lotus head gaskets. I had to make tooling to pressurize the combustion chamber with the engine out of the car. I could then see the leak in the head gasket thru the cooling system. I compared the coating on the OEM and the aftermarket gaskets and found it to be different. I did nothing but replace the aftermarket gaskets with Lotus gaskets and the leak has gone away

Karlen, you were banned from this website before for your behaviour and by rights I should just ban you again. Clearly you're in need of assistance with your car so if you keep civil and lucid, I'll allow you to remain but step out of line once, you'll be banned again. This is your one warning. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Good luck in getting your engine running again.  You need to decide for yourself if you are anxious enough to warrant changing to the original OEM supplied head gaskets.

it just so happens i have both here for you to see 

20160909_125820_zpssedhyyhz.jpg

20160909_125800_zpso9ij3p6h.jpg

20160909_125755_zpsoc8nj1gr.jpg

20160909_125805_zpspwkdzozq.jpg

20160909_125814_zpsv8ezv5et.jpg

20160909_125810_zpsfism71bd.jpg

20160909_125749_zpsjdhvonxr.jpg

20160909_125009_zps3yevzloe.jpg

20160909_124935_zpstvqic8lu.jpg

20160909_125027_zps1wr5upjb.jpg

20160909_125018_zpsfvrxzerf.jpg

20160909_125003_zps7fzcsnfd.jpg20160909_124941_zpsavl6usjw.jpg

20160909_124935_zpstvqic8lu.jpg

the verdict the original lotus ones feel a lot thicker and better built. the aftermarket ones are just compressed bits of tin and are not as thick . both are used . i think jae are good but i hadnt realised i had copy gaskets and i want originals next time 

just to add neither had failed it was for something else 

• Like 1

Lol well thats 4 vendors thats disclosed that aftermarket gaskets that i bought 3 times withiut knowing they are not oem , and blowing everytime same period textbook. I can laugh now that i caught the problem thanks to my research and of course my great friend barry kearley who saved me from using aftermarket gaskets that knowone told me they were aftermarket . ?

Just like i f.n thought . After engine installed almost rdy to fire up i ahve to pay to remove again and do timing belt comon BS BS BS  , KNOWONE WANTS TO COMPENSATE ME NOTHING its ok choke on that money.

Thanks alex your the man.

Here just reuse the same aftermarket gaskets that blew your motor 3 times no problem we will take care of you . Lmfao wat a f.n joke this world is

Edited by Esprit1129

Finnaly a real honest guy alex carter again your are a great guy.

The sheep i spoke to told me gaskets are just as thick ?????

Wroooooonnnnnggg according to alex who has both , hmmm thats funny how that goes huh?

Edited by Esprit1129

@Alex Carter Can you please measure the thickness with a vernier and post up the results mate ??

Only here once

Hmm. So someone really scientific could work out if that makes any difference to the compression rate with the head being 0.3 closer to the block.  Or it could be it squishes less and takes out less imperfections?

• Like 1

Only here once

Good call on the measurments Barry, I think if it is going to be scientific though they need to measured from brand new gaskets otherwise the likelyhood of torque wrench used in the fitting come under if they had been calibrated to give the same torque down on both instilations maybe.  But you may well be onto something that the oem gaskets are maybe a little more forgiving on minor head/block imperfections :thumbup:

A

Ahh yes - these are second hand readings..... Maybe they also change with heat as well over time.

there has to be a reason there's folks struggling. I also find it interesting mike "the guru" has used both without issues....... Now that's either luck or good workmanship ! I'm just finding this all a bit of a riddle. 

Only here once

I think maybe a bit of Luck but i would probably say  workmanship with Mike, not only for his knowledge on this engine but his workshop is pretty damn fine too, He seems like a man that likes using guages at any given chance. :yes:

• Like 1

A

Have we really two types of gaskets about ? Or is there a third which is a rouge type ?? I'm now confused

Only here once

Sadly Barry this is a difficult case, as it has so many factors to to take into account from various sources such as manufacturing comes into play, i.e say some aftermarket gaskets will be fine  then maybe the machine press that stamps/impregnates them had the tooling go slightly out, dodgy batch of rubber/metal. Plates on the stamp press machine recesses had to much residue affecting thickness.

Maybe people cooked heads or warped blocks slighty from normal failure condtions due to age,normal wear and tear etc and just replaced the gaskets which failed, that would maybe of even failed with a oem gasket after time. Hence not checking properly for flatness. 

Maybe some cars even have cracks that have not been detected such as Ks red esprit maybe, But given some fail and some do not will be hard as manufacturing faults sadly happen in batches and depending on QA in place sometimes these faults only get picked up once in a while. Hence why some will be ok and some may not be. 

Just take for instance the old cylinder liner sealant issue, this was found by lotus as they found the sealant was not up to standard and could easily tell what v8s had been affected due to batch and quality control dates. 

I remember a good few years ago helping my brother in law at the time fit a gasket to his 2.0 rover, looked at the gasket after it had been handed over the counter, non genuine part and it did not look right, asked for another and compared the two head gaskets side by sideThe first one was missing the rubber oil gallery seals that had not been bonded on. !.

OEM is the only way imo with regards to headgaskets,cambelts, cam auxillery bearings etc.on anything that is expensive and time consuming to replace.

Like i said it will be hard to get an accurate overview of all the goings on regards these gaskets, you have a task ahead of you Barry and for that i sallute you. :thumbup: 

A

Dan - I'm not gonna try to unpick this issue to be frank - I'd just like some information out in the public domain as to what's going on. Hopefully it will mean some folks don't have to rebuild unnecessarily 

Only here once

No mate i do not blame you mate and well worth looking into, my last post was not saying do not investigate, it just says many areas of consideration to take into account .:thumbup:   P.s i have no idea which Frank you are on about lol  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

A

The Lotus specification for the thickness of a used head gasket is 1.25 mm if that helps put Alex's measurements into context.

• Like 2