free hit
counters
Clutch hose - reinstall - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Clutch hose - reinstall

Gents,
My 2002 S2 Rover-K ELise has had a clutch hose failure. It leaks from the bolt going into the slave cylindar.
A new hose is on its way - but how do you reinstall it?

It seems to disappear somewhere into the sill, where it is fastened to another hose. How do I get to the hos all the way between the master and slave, in order to do a simple reinstall?

Edited by b-havers

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bjorn  I have no idea on the set up, But maybe you could try unbolting from master clylinder and unbolt from the slave end and tape the new cable to the master end and pull through slowly ?  Not sure if your hose is clipped in the sill anywhere but i am sure you would feel resistance when pulling. Or for the time been use a long bit of wire/cord to pull the old pipe to test the method until the new pipe comes. 

If it works you have the cord in situ already, tape the new pipe to the cord and pull through. :thumbup:

Like i said though have never worked on the elise so thi is just theory but worth a shot, Hopefully the elise brigade will be along shortly.

Good luck :)

A

I have thought of this, but it seems the clutch hose is strapped (?) together with another hose (brake hose?) thru the sill. So I need to get to the cables and separate them before I can connect the new hos to the old and pull them  thru...

Bjorn,    Quick flick on the internet shows that the clutch pipe is attached/clipped to the coolant return pipe in the sill itself. :yes: Hence talk of red hose sydrome and people opting for a braided version as an uprade.  Pictures wise non on the internet. Surely you must be able to remove some inner sill trim to get at the bits of pipe that are joined maybe.

A

Hello,
I did manage to remove all the straps, but....
First of all, there is a kind of 'wall' in the middle of the sill, with foam at the front part and fibreglass else.
At the front of the hose there is a 180degree bend, and at the rear part the bend is 90degrees.
How on earh is it possible to pull this thru the sill.....?

I enclose two photoes.
The first is from inside the sill, taken from the rear.
The other is from a hole in the sill, at the front part where you enter the car. In the middle of the sill you can see the 'wall'.

I gave up and started working on the Ginetta instead...

s_20160910_140413.jpg

s_20160910_141440.jpg

High Bjorn, 

The foam wall is to keep the pipes away from the outer sill, If you look online you can pull up the lotus service notes that shows diagrams. Other than that not much on the web other than all about the red hose syndrome.  They sell a lotus replacement aftermarket upgrade pipe that is braided and it states takes half the time to fit and comes with fitting instructions.  I can only presume from this that they either route the pipe differently when replacing or the pipe is altered in the aftermarket braided on so the maybe the ends/bends etc are a better design and easier to refit. 

I would probably look at maybe ordering the braided one which will save a lot of hassle.   But can you not move/pull out the foam wall ?  I may be a case of pulling and turning the pipe at the same time and also look at what end is easier and going the opposite way. 

But look online at that braided one i think you can download the fitting instructions, then you can just cut the ends off the original one, slip it out and slide the new one in as they sound like a much easier fit, sound like it will be well worth it to me. :)

A

Hi Dan,
I already have the braided on en-route from SJ Sportscars. (The one in-situ is also braided)
Challange is to remove the old one; this is just anexample of how complex and frustrating an easy fix ob a Lotus can be...

Give Steve a quick phone call chap to see what his input is.  Just hope you do not need to remove the sill :rolleyes:  

The braided one i am on about on line is an aftermarket part and i think it was designed for not only getting rid of the red hose sysdrome but also to delete the exact same problems you are having at the moment regarding removing/fitting :)

I will keep searching the interwebs but they seem very lacking in this area regarding the clutch pipe :(

A

Bjorn  This picture shows the design of the elise parts aftermarket one,  which is why it would be more suited as you can just cut the ends of yours and pull out then just slide this new one in with much less fuss as you can see the ends are not angled. :thumbup:  Maybe sjs is the same design hopefully ?

98-8f379.jpg

A

Yepp, this looks pretty much the same I have ordered.
THere is no room for fitting the new one without removing the old one. I am a bit anxious removing the old one, as I might not be able to fit the new one anyhow.

Part from de angeled ends, plan is to fit a threat to the old one, pullthis thru the sill, and then foit the new hose to the thread and carefully pull it thru.

I'll keep you updated - nothing will happend until the new hose arrives.
As this is imported into Norway from the UK, it'll take a few weeks to cet it thru postage and (most time an money consuming) the custom...
Meanwhile; I do have a few other projects on the fly...

For now; thanks a lot for your answer, it shows I'm not completely way off.

s_20160816_214246.jpg

Bjorn 

Yes i think you will probably be fine cutting the ends of the old pipe and putting cord attached to pull through to leave a guide rope still in postion. Just had a look at the one that Steve sells and the ends have angles unlike the other aftermarket one from eliseparts.  But hopefully the sj ones are far smaller bends than the lotus ones fingers crossed.:thumbup:  

Very nice line up in the garage would love that sort of space to work on my cars.:) What are your plans for the Ginetta is it a restoration or prepping for track ?

Good luck with clutch pipe drama keep us posted and hope it ends been an easy fix with the new pipe.:thumbup:

A

The Ginetta is supposed to be complete, but the previous owner planned to rebuild it as an electrical car. All traces from fossil fuel has been removed. Fortunately everything is labeled so I hope it will only be a puzzle putting it all back together.
Plan is (a) get it back on the road and get to knep the car, and perhaps (b) upgrade it for trackdays.

And... from mail correspondance with James at SJ, the hose should be with banjo fittings at both ends.. 

Crazy going electric !  I remember looking at an online documentry on youtube about a school in america doing a project on a mk1 truimph spitfire going electric, actually pretty cool and it was fairly quick also. !   Good luck with build on it and glad its going back to good old petrol power :thumbup:

A