free hit
counters
YOUR GUITARS: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly, and The Lost - Guitar Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

YOUR GUITARS: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly, and The Lost

Anyone with GAS has been there —You run into a guitar and you think it's the last thing you'll ever dig, and then you can't believe how well it plays and sounds and feels. And then there are the ones that by all rights should be like the previous, but completely suck...usually all the money out of your bank account. And finally, there are the hideous string-planks posing as guitars which we love and only take out to show close friends. 

So share one of each. If not photos, the story behind the axes. And if you're really a glutton for punishment, tell us about the best guitar you ever had but had to sell or lost or was damaged beyond repair, and the exact maker and amount of booze you consumed to help get over it. Dive in...it's safe...you're among friends. I'll certainly be posting once I take a few photos.

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

This one has a very big story behind it. It was my 40th birthday present from my wife ( I am a massive Weller fan) unfortunately I had a brain op 5 years ago and I have absolutely no idea how to play it anymore. I was never a natural and it took me many years to be able to play. 

I am completely fine part from that and one numb finger. 

image.jpeg

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear about that. And that is an absolutely totally cool custom Rick. If you don't mind my asking, are you suffering from numbness in a particular finger, or did you lose the cognition/memory of playing, or both? 

• 4 weeks later...

I've never been sure why, but for years I had a visceral loathing for Firebirds. Then I played a Firebird V and realized what an idiot I was. It just felt great, sounded great, was great. Then Gibson did a limited run of the Jeff "Skunk" Baxter Firefird (an over-the-top Firebird VII). I played one and bought it on the spot. It was orange metallic with black frosted hardware, flawless banjo tuner that never went out of tune, and a Lyre Vibrola that was the best feeling and most responsive trem bridge I'd ever played. It had on/off switches for each pickup as well as on/off switches for coil tapping each pickup, so the range of tones was vast. It was just plain sexy in every way, and the neck was to die for...

Skunk Firebird.jpg

And then I got in a bind and had to sell it. The single worst, stupidest guitar sale I've ever made. In retrospect there are several other guitars I should have sold instead. I've had a Google Alert out for one of these for about a year and a half without a single bell going off. So I'm thinking of getting a beat up VII, having the Duncan Custom shop make a set of "Seymourized" Mini-Humbuckers (Alnico V, high output, and a lot of grind) wired for coil-tapping, and wired for all te missing pickup selection options this dude has... 

...route it out, refinish it something sexy, and rewire it. Any thoughts?) 

• 1 month later...
  • Gold FFM

Moxie, I missed this post way back then, but yes it's like picking up a fish now, I am trying now to re-learn 

this might give you some idea, brains are strange things and yes it hurt a bit 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23195940