free hit
counters
Lotus Motorsport / SSC Induction Kit - New Filter - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content


IGNORED

Lotus Motorsport / SSC Induction Kit - New Filter


RedViper

Recommended Posts

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes that looks like the one... Its the largest of the 3 layer filters that HKS make I think the other one is 150mm which is too small. Just make sure it is a genuine item, lots of fakes with HKS on eBay, and you definitely want the three layer version for the better filtration.

www.alias23.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, alias23 said:

Yes that looks like the one... Its the largest of the 3 layer filters that HKS make I think the other one is 150mm which is too small. Just make sure it is a genuine item, lots of fakes with HKS on eBay, and you definitely want the three layer version for the better filtration.

Cheers

I know. I have to admit looking at that I'm thinking "is that all that's between my pride and joy and the harmful outside world":cry:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To be honest the HKS elements have the highest through put in terms of air, hence the best performance, however their filtration is not the best in the market...

They are a world better than what they used to be, but to be on the safe side I recommend changing the filter frequently, maybe overkill but I change mine every 3-4k miles. 

www.alias23.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 15:00, alias23 said:

To be honest the HKS elements have the highest through put in terms of air, hence the best performance, however their filtration is not the best in the market...

They are a world better than what they used to be, but to be on the safe side I recommend changing the filter frequently, maybe overkill but I change mine every 3-4k miles. 

OK. So I changed the filter last night. was pretty straight forward really.

I opted to take wheel and wheel arch liner out rather than removing the whole induction kit as it was a little bit of a faff getting it into perfect position originally.

Filter wasn't really that dirty but changed it anyway.

Whilst I had the arch off and I was looking at the setup I couldn't help thinking a BMC CDA like I had on my old Elise might be better solution and physically connect it up to the side pod. Either that or some sort of housing akin to Komotecs offering to block out engine bay heat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RedViper said:

 

 

Whilst I had the arch off and I was looking at the setup I couldn't help thinking a BMC CDA like I had on my old Elise might be better solution and physically connect it up to the side pod. Either that or some sort of housing akin to Komotecs offering to block out engine bay heat.

Or, something like this ….. ITG …… ;)  All looks to be available in the UK -- http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/universal-air-boxes/itg-maxogen-universal-aluminium-air-box

 

ITG intake.png

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 years later...

Has anyone replaced for a different type of filter than the hks. I knew hks wasn’t the best but after seeing imrans intake pipe it’s scared me a bit!

Tempted to fit this which I think will work as has the same 80mm diameter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/K-N-KNRC-8370-knrc-8370-Air-Filter/dp/B0763QKZJ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1553467099&sr=8-1&keywords=k%26N+80mm+filter

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve just ordered a new filter after seeing Imrans photo too. I’m going to have a look at inlet manifold too when I fit it. 

Strangely the filter I received is yellow rather than green but still says “3 layers Dry”. 

Edited by RedViper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FYI ... I replaced my filter religiously every 2000 miles so my issue. The HKS filtration is crap. Not to add more negativity but I also found a number of HKS elements being fake (esp on Ebay etc) so always ensure you buy genuine items if you are buying replacement filter elements.

www.alias23.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just had a look at my inlet manifold and there was a little bit of black stuff on the same side as Imrans. 

However it looks to me as though it’s carbon deposit from the engine breather, it doesn’t look like dirt. Also the reason I think that it because it’s only on the side opposite where the breather enters and if I rub my finger upstream of where it enters the rubber connection thingy it’s literally spotless, it’s only downstream of where that enters.

It might be worth someone with a stock induction with a car with a few miles on checking there’s and seeing if that looks the same 

Edited by RedViper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good points raised @RedViper my view on this was that vapour does come into the inlet ahead of the throttle but the ‘dirt’ is caught/built up on this collected vapour.

Once my new intake is done I’ll be working on a simple catch tank to be complete.

www.alias23.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...