free hit
counters
warning: an e-Bay Esprit for sale that is a fraud - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

warning: an e-Bay Esprit for sale that is a fraud

There is a loser that uses e-Bay to "phish" for people interested in buying an Esprit. He posted an ad (with about 10 photos) about 5 days ago claiming to sell a red 1990 Esprit turbo. There was no reserve and the starting bids were low after 2 days. The person then removes the car from e-Bay and contacts anyone and everyone who e-mailed him offering them the car for $4200 US (which includes free delivery to anywhere in North America).

There are a few issues with the seller in the first place. One is he claims the car is a 1990 model yet (based on the supplied photos) it has the old style mirrors, black paint on the sills, inboard rear brakes, no chargecooler, it is not Delco injected, it has the wrong bonnet badge (for the year), the wrong wheels (for the year) and old-style rectangular foglights. He claims to be the original owner yet he got the model year wrong. It is most definitely a 1st generation Stevens with a Citroen transmission. He claims that the car is in perfect shape without any issues or flaws and it is dead reliable (um . . . . we can't be talking about a Lotus here). Claims you can drive it anywhere but will sell the car only by having it delivered by a trucking company to your address at his expense.

I never bid on the auction, merely e-mailed him to point out the the car can't be a 1990 model as stated in the ad. After the ad gets pulled from e-Bay, and he mails me an offer to buy it now for $4200 and requests an address to ship the car to. 5 hours later he claims a check on my bidding history ensures I can be trusted and the car is mine (still I have never said yes to any such offer). The e-Bay motors contract that is mailed to me has many spelling mistakes. He refers to the car as an "Esprite"; not an Esprit, but the correct year (1988) is now given. The e-Bay motors bill does not fully load, it has no security features and my firewall recognizes it as junk mail.

He never supplies a phone number. Never asks for mine, but still requests that I send him $2700 through Western Union money transfer in order to secure the car. In an effort to protect my money I should also fax the Western Union contract info as well as the all important release number to a Arizona number supplied on the e-Bay motors bill (that looks faked) even though the car is stated to be in California. For those that do not know a Western Union money transfer doesn't need ID or a bank acount number to be cashed . . . all it needs is the security release code.

When asked why/how this is the case, the seller explaims that this person in Arizona will act as a safe contact for my funds and will only release the money to him when I recieve the car. Wow! sounds great, huh?

In summary avoid this loser at all costs. His claimed name is David French but, now, all AOL messages bounce back to his supplied address and he is lost in the ether of the internet to rob again. David French might even be a legit Esprit owner that this joker has downloaded images or info from.

Just in case you are wondering, I never sent him a dime because this rosey deal smell like sewage to me.

AP

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there

I have seen this myself on Ebay before with a Audi TT 3.2 top of the range model. Guy claiming he was in Italy and wanted to move the car over to the UK via a truck and payment done electronically. Again I watched this and many people bid on it and then after that realised what was going on and retracted there bids. Don't know if it was the same guy but was very dodgy.

Adam

1999 Lotus Esprit GT3

1985 Reliant Scimitar SS1 1600 though will be an 1800Ti upon completion (Currently in bits all over the garage and has been since 2004)

He never supplies a phone number. Never asks for mine, but still requests that I send him $2700 through Western Union money transfer in order to secure the car. In an effort to protect my money I should also fax the Western Union contract info as well as the all important release number to a Arizona number supplied on the e-Bay motors bill (that looks faked) even though the car is stated to be in California. For those that do not know a Western Union money transfer doesn't need ID or a bank acount number to be cashed . . . all it needs is the security release code.

When asked why/how this is the case, the seller explaims that this person in Arizona will act as a safe contact for my funds and will only release the money to him when I recieve the car. Wow! sounds great, huh?

The Western Union money transfer in the ad should set alarm bells ringing, as it's the tool of the most

common scam on the net, one that anyone selling a car or something valuable will experience...

1,'Buyer' talks of the item in a weird full description, like he's just pasted the ad title to an exsisting form, eg:

Hi, my name is ed, i'm much interested in your 1987 turbo Esprit full history excellent condition...

2, 'buyer' is owed money from a previous tranaction, but has a cheque.

3, 'Buyer' wants to send you a cheque for more than the price of your car/ item.

4, you cash it, and it clears.

5, He asks you to keep a few hundred extra in 'good faith', but send him the rest as a western union cheque.

6, He will 'arrange shipping of the car once these funds have cleared.

7, You now have the money in your account, cleared, and with a little extra. You await shipping details.

8, money clears his account.

9, four weeks later, western union cheque he sent you bounces.

10, the money you sent him from your account does not.

11, buyer ID, email, phone, Ebay account vanish.

I guess I have a new policy as to buying big ticket items (like a used car) on e-Bay.

It I can't see the car and hold the pink registration slip in my hand -all at the same time- then it simply isn't real. I'll still use e-Bay for part purchases, but the risk is probably too great when buying pricey items. So far e-Bay has been a bust for only small ticket items:

1) a Maserati guy in Austria who cashed my $50 cheque but never sent a "Lotus Over Time" colour poster. I was the start of a long list of people who were taken by this guy who was probably a former exotic car dealer who was/is now a crook.

2) Lotus key chains (something like $5 or $10) that were paid for but never sent from (claimed to be) a former US Lotus dealer.

3) a Brit dealing in Lancia and Lotus bits who refused my US money when it arrived but then never mailed the part or a refund ($5 loss plus the estimated shipping fee).

AP