free hit
counters
How dangerous would it be... - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Gashead1105

How dangerous would it be...

To have a test drive of the 350 Sport (or even a cup 360) with the new gear shift mechanism? Has anyone on here gone from a V6 S to a 350 Sport (platform) car? Was it worth the premium?

Basically, my finance is up in 6 months and I've started considering whether it would be worth paying off the remaining 50% (c30k) or whether it would be worth trading the car in (hopefully releasing c£15k of equity) and then putting another £15k (or less) in on top for a new car and kicking the remaining 50% down the road for another couple of years? It seems to me that the pros for a 350 Sport would basically be the new gear shift mechanism and different switchgear which I wasn't a massive fan of when I sat in one at Goodwood a few months ago, the negatives are that it wouldn't have my current paintjob, the glass rear screen and a few other bits and pieces (and the fact that once Dave @Hangar111 has the car this weekend the couple of annoying noises will hopefully disappear!) and so I just don't think it's worth the change - which takes me to the cup model. Now that the Cup 360 has been sold out, is there anything in the pipeline to replace it, with more power? @Bibs, any insider knowledge?! The current cup again just doesn't quite seem worth it, I could get a set of Ohlins and a baffled sump fitted for c£4k and that basically gets me where I would want to be if the new gear change mechanism isn't that superior. Coupled with a much reduced warranty and what seems like more NVH issues with the cup - what else do you get that would make it a step up on the S and can you fit a radio in it?! Is it just the roll bar and harnesses? 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Will

I am sure that everyone will have a different opinion and I can only go from my experience, having owned both.

I wouldn't want to swap my Sport 350 back for my LF1. I have not had the pleasure of owning a Cup 360 or a standard Cup, so can't comment on those.    

1 minute ago, Fortis said:

Hi Will

I am sure that everyone will have a different opinion and I can only go from my experience, having owned both.

I wouldn't want to swap my Sport 350 back for my LF1. I have not had the pleasure of owning a Cup 360 or a standard Cup, so can't comment on those.    

Hi Peter. Thanks. Is that simply because of the new gear shift mechanism? Is your sport 350 spec'd the same as an LF1 (which I think has leather dashboard etc?) 

Combination of a few things Will. I really like the gear shift mech, the clutch operation is lighter, turn in feels sharper, feels smoother on the road.

I also like the new shape diffuser and the louvred engine cover, again only my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked the LF1. But I prefer the driving experience I get in the Sport 350.

I do like having the NVH pack too. I know it adds weight but I am not a good enough trackday driver for it to make any difference :blush:   

I've done the move.

New gear change is great, very click clack but better.

I feel the quality of materials - the leather in particular- is better on the early cars. The new stuff feels thinner, almost faux leather (talking dash / sills, not seats).

Also not a fan of the plastic switch buttons, but at least the a/c button lights up!

The Clarion radio isn't as good as the Alpine in my old one either.

Noisier than the old car too - less NVH material and thinner panels.

At first, I wasn't sure about the rear louvre, but actually like it now, and rear vision is ok.

All in all, I think unless you're getting a great deal on a 350 and your V6S is getting on a bit, then it might be worth the swap. Swapping for swappings sake though, I don't know...

All said and done though, I'm loving mine :)

edit - is the diffuser different?

image.jpeg

• Like 1

'....it makes every other roadster look just a little bit cissy...'

Looks great in orange Andy B-).

I am glad mine came with the NVH pack as it is so much quieter than my LF1, which only had foot well mats. Makes it nicer when driving longer distances ( I must be getting old)

Yep the diffuser is different with less mesh above it than on the S. 

Thanks Peter 

I've got the full NVH pack in mine - full carpets up to the sills (one side has gone baggy already!) and still think it's overall a little noisier than my roadster was.

Seems to be far more transmission noise.

Thanks for the input @Rancid Mine was brand new 18 months ago and ive only done 4,500 miles. I will try to get a drive in a 350, although I have had a good go in a 400 evora already and I didn't think gear change was that much of an improvement on mine, which is pretty slick. 

I have the plastic sills etc in mine - too cheap for the full leather premium pack!!

Think most likely option is to pay finance off and keep it, which was the original plan. Does suggest that Lotus does need to think about getting more power out of the exige somehow as there must be plenty of other people in the same position as me! 350 doesn't seem like it improves things enough to make it worth trading up, although I say that without driving it.

Would be interested in views of anyone who has gone V6 to latest cup although would guess there aren't many who have done so.

Andy,

you need to come to one of the EM meetings so we can have a really good look at your 350, very nice colour btw

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own a true British supercar the Evora GT430

Darryl

I may just do that sometime.

Any nearer to the Cup you wanted?

2 hours ago, Rancid said:

edit - is the diffuser different?

image.jpeg

Slightly differentIMAG1253.jpg

Edited by quantum2000
  • Like 1

Funny things these Lotus cars as my 350 transmission is quieter than the last one was :lol:

I have also noticed that some NVH equipped 350's don't have the ribbed section in front of the seats carpeted and others do 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gashead1105 said:

Now that the Cup 360 has been sold out, is there anything in the pipeline to replace it, with more power?

This is also my hottest questions. I don't really care about (much) more power, but buying now and realizing an upcoming new model few months later just makes me nerveous.

• Like 1

As above, the new exige could have all sorts added to it! 

And why not a SSC charger or Komotec? More power and would get a chunk back if you sold it later.

10 minutes ago, Chrisc said:

And why not a SSC charger 

This will be my chosen route...

I am sure there will be a new cup model soon I think, yes it will have a little more power (but will NOT be the 400 every one talks about) IMHO

Also don't forget that with the £££ being weaker the costs will go up, so my money is on a price hike at the same time

I truly believe I bought my 360 at bang on the right time. I have had many conversations about the power up grade route and I will be going SCC once I have the bottle to ignore the factory warranty.....

1 hour ago, Freejack said:

This is also my hottest questions. I don't really care about (much) more power, but buying now and realizing an upcoming new model few months later just makes me nerveous.

Lotus always have a new model round the corner, that doesn't really bother me. The initial question is whether the 350 sport/360 cup moves the game on enough to make it worth trading in the V6 at the end of the finance deal and taking another round of initial depreciation hit. On balance, I don't think it does (and that is what the 350 sport review says as well). Having said that, who knows what Lotus will announce in the next 6 months...

33 minutes ago, Chrisc said:

As above, the new exige could have all sorts added to it! 

And why not a SSC charger or Komotec? More power and would get a chunk back if you sold it later.

Modifications don't add anything to a car's value in my experience. But as I said originally, I think a set of Ohlins road and track and a baffled sump (when the warranty expires) would get me to pretty much where I want to go. And if I could get a chargecooled 400hp on top then that would pretty much be it. 

17 minutes ago, Seriouslylotus said:

This will be my chosen route...

I am sure there will be a new cup model soon I think, yes it will have a little more power (but will NOT be the 400 every one talks about) IMHO

Also don't forget that with the £££ being weaker the costs will go up, so my money is on a price hike at the same time

I truly believe I bought my 360 at bang on the right time. I have had many conversations about the power up grade route and I will be going SCC once I have the bottle to ignore the factory warranty.....

Haven't you only got a year's warranty? That's not long to wait...

1 hour ago, NANO said:

Andy, really very very beautiful ... the color is fantastic ... :thumbup:

Exhaust is different, what is ?

Thanks

Exhaust is just the Lotus sport version

I wouldnt be looking to move from a V6S to 350 as the difference doesn't seem to be worth it....now to a Cup thats different :)....for the small incremental improvements , you'd kick yourself if in 6 months time they do come out with an Exige upgrade of sorts .

Black n gold

7 hours ago, Freejack said:

It would be totally unfair! 

Because if I bought an special and numered edition like the 360 cup, and after a few months they launch another similar edition, it could make my car less special. 

At least, I will wait for some few weeks/months and most of us guesses is, that there will be a new model/edition.

Edited by Freejack

1 hour ago, Dani said:

Because if I bought an special and numered edition like the 360 cup, and after a few months they launch another similar edition, it could make my car less special. 

There will ALWAYS be the next model!!! Using that theory means you may never buy an Exige....

Any new models in the near future will just be small updates, Life is too short, if you want one now is the time as you do not know what may happen later today or tomorrow

• Like 1