free hit
counters
Evora 400 transmission noise - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Evora 400 transmission noise

Hi everyone,

I'm a new (and quite happy) owner Of a new Evora 400 white.
I've a big issue and i hope that everyone can Help my to identify and solve.

In practice, I noticed a grinding noise coming from the right side of the car, like some gearwheels that rotate without oil. That happen in 1 and second gear from 1000 to 2500 rpm, in third fourth and fifth from 2500 to 3500, in sixt gear around 3000/4000 rpm.

It seems like a truck diesel transmission sound. I went to the dealer that tried to change gear oilwith a motul gear300 + ceramic treatment but nothing changed.

This happen just when accelerate through these rpm, and not when I decelerate from higher to Lower rpm.

Additionally, when a push clutch everything disappear. This just happen also when I accelerate, and not when I run in constant velocity (for ex. With cruise control).

Everything is audible with Windows closed, with and without exhaust valve opened.

Anyone can help my to understand what could be and what can I do with the dealer?

Someone have managed the same case/experience?

I'm really disappointed... Seems to drive a diesel truck... To much to bear for a 100k car.

Thanks in advance for any help?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your car will already have them fitted. As I said, they are for the 400.  If your dealer isn't helping, email [email protected] and maybe they'll be able to help. Remember to tell the

They certainly do, from day one. Which makes this a massive question.  

To be quite frank, Lotus have had this gear noise on the Evora since launch in 2009. Why the hell wouldn't they sort it by the time they got to releasing the Evora 400 in 2016? Makes no sense to me.

Have a read of this :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

and this...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Article read! 

I can understand the noise In 1st and 2nd geat but the same noise from 2500/3500 rpm in 3rd,4th and 5th isn't acceptable. So for a 100k cars I've to expect to listen this grinding noise for all car life? The strange is that I feel this noise coming from the right passenger seat.... 

Anyone have solved it in some way with a clutch replacement,some additional insulation,etc?

I changed the transmission gear oil without any effective change...

Thanks a lot.

Unfortunately it is one of those traits of the car which has been well documented (unless you have the auto version)

However, some do seem to be more noisier than others and I did notice that during the hot weather in Austria and Italy on our recent trip that the transmission noise our non 400 Evora became more vocal, albeit only under 2500rpm whilst accelerating through the gears

Hi Paul,

Thanks for share your experience.

You have it at all gears?

Because my rattle change in Base of the gear used: till 2500 rpm in 1st and 2nd, from 2000 to 3000 in 3rd and 4th and from 2500 to 3500 in 5 and 6th gear.

Could be the same problem?

Lotus don't fix it under guarantee changing something?

There is some workaround to reduce the cabin rattle? (EX add some insulation,etc)

Thankks

Yes in all gears when accelerating but not above 2500rpm. It is one of those things that i have learned to ignore since it is common and no worse than other Evoras that i have been in but, as i said, it does seem to get more vocal after hard use in hot climates which could be why you notice it so much.

• Like 1

I understood your point but I think that for exactly 106k  and after 3900km is unacceptable. 

The only difference is that higher is the gear higher became the rpm  range that suffer this rattle... additionally happen only in acceleration and not in deceleration. ?

For sure I'll try to investigate more on that because lotus have to officially let me know that rattles in a premium car group are normal. ?... after I'll reply that if they want to compete with cayman or 911, this is not the way to do it properly.

Additionally, lotus have to try to fix it because they took 106k in advance and they guarantee us all 3 years full guarantee, included in the price... and I think that we don't have to justify lotus to take this issue so unseriously permit them to reply us that is normal, because it isn't.  And if it is mechanically speaking, they've to.find a way to don't resonate rattle.in cabin with some insulation panel...

That is my thinking on that.

Unfortunately I do not believe this is a defect but a "characteristic".

From the people I have spoken to, who shall remain nameless, the rear seats in the S1 were effectively a large contributor to NVH. Just ask @Stuno1 how dramatically different the S1 is without the rear seats in.

I do not think it will be fixed. In my own car it isn't really a big issue for me, as it's a mechanical noise and I don't mind it so much - the clutch is single plate, they tend to be noisy anyway. I usually have the windows down and exhaust valve open, or the stereo on, so it's not a big problem.

I can understand your frustration though

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

I understand your point... in the 80% of the case I made the same, Windows open and valve too and, in fact, I Notice that after 3000km, first time I drove evora with air conditioning and valve closed in motorway... but I think that we've the right to drive in a rattle free car the other 20% of the times and enjoy the fantastic engine sound and the silence thanks to a great insulation... without rattles.

As I think That this is our right after had spent 100k. ?

6 hours ago, JayEmm said:

Unfortunately I do not believe this is a defect but a "characteristic".

From the people I have spoken to, who shall remain nameless, the rear seats in the S1 were effectively a large contributor to NVH. Just ask @Stuno1 how dramatically different the S1 is without the rear seats in.

I do not think it will be fixed. In my own car it isn't really a big issue for me, as it's a mechanical noise and I don't mind it so much - the clutch is single plate, they tend to be noisy anyway. I usually have the windows down and exhaust valve open, or the stereo on, so it's not a big problem.

I can understand your frustration though

I certainly get the grinding sound in 1st at early rpm. 

Grinding at 1st gear could be acceptable... but at all gears at in a rpm range that cover the 50% of the rpm range is too much.

Change clutch could solve? Or is a problem of the gearbox?

Not a "problem" of the gearbox, but a problem of where the gearbox is and the fact there is very little sound deadening between you and it!

James Martin (JayEmm)

46 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

Not a "problem" of the gearbox, but a problem of where the gearbox is and the fact there is very little sound deadening between you and it!

Understand your point, but I think that is a big project failure that they have to solve.... because that mine the reputation of lotus that don't have to claim that customer don't change Porsche for lotus!

The noise makes its way to the cabin via the gearchange cables, dynamat won't help. There are revised mountings for them in the 400 which are meant to reduce the noise, but it won't be eliminated. 

Evora NA

Ah really? I guess you're pretty screwed if that's the case. To be honest it's never really bothered me as I count it as one of those things that make the Evora an "analogue" car. Nice in an age of synthesized engine notes

James Martin (JayEmm)

What about revised mountings? Sorry probably my English is not.percect and I can't understand the point. It's something that I can ask to mount aftermarket to.mu evora 400? There's something already present? Regarding dynamat , I thought about it but where place it? Under the flat floor below the car? In the cabin or panels that guest the gear cables? Adding a kilo in the car isn't a problem if we can reduce it. 

Your car will already have them fitted. As I said, they are for the 400. 

If your dealer isn't helping, email [email protected] and maybe they'll be able to help. Remember to tell them how much the car cost as they, just like us, probably have no idea and appreciate the frequent reminder :)

• Like 2

Evora NA

I'm surprised this issue is arising on the 400.  Many S1 Evora owners have had this and discussed with dealers and the factory plus several motoring journalists have highlighted it in reviews.  There was an extensive questionnaire sent to S1 owners that was supposed to be to help with future revisions.  I know I fed back in that about the transmission noise and several other things that could only be resolved with design changes.  You'd think they'd have tried to sort it for the 400.

I had long conversations with B&C and the Lotus field service engineers, who evaluated my car three times and concluded yes there is a transmission noise but it's within acceptable limits.  I think if a large number of people keep highlighting it then your definition of acceptable needs revising!

For all the manufacturer their issue noise are normal...I'll accept it for a 10/20k car... the transmission of my 500 is more silent than this one... I repeat... for a 100k have a traktor transmission sound inside the cabin is crazy. They've to make something, if they don't, I'll go trough legal...

Edited by Bibs
Removed quote of previous post
26 minutes ago, Alfo86 said:

I had no idea how much you paid for it! :lol:

The 400 does have extra sound insulation included in the gear cables to reduce the noise but it's a characteristic of the car. It's Type Approved, so it's perfectly acceptable from a legal perspective to make this noise but I appreciate it's not a pleasant noise by any stretch of the imagination. If you don't like it, that's an issue you and your solicitor will have to take up with your dealer.

Evora NA