free hit
counters
Evora 400 transmission noise - Page 3 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Evora 400 transmission noise

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your car will already have them fitted. As I said, they are for the 400.  If your dealer isn't helping, email [email protected] and maybe they'll be able to help. Remember to tell the

They certainly do, from day one. Which makes this a massive question.  

To be quite frank, Lotus have had this gear noise on the Evora since launch in 2009. Why the hell wouldn't they sort it by the time they got to releasing the Evora 400 in 2016? Makes no sense to me.

19 hours ago, Corsu said:

I've read all this post. To be fair, I've drove the EVORA 400, I've drove the Exige V6, I owned a Lotus Elise R and all have this noise. It's could be due to the gearbox cable and the parking brake cable. At 3000 rmp, on my Elise, I release the accelerator pedal and the noise comes, like you after some kilometers.  To fix the issue on my Elise R, the dealer put a plastic foam to isolate all the cable from the chassis. Wherever he found a cable, he put a plastic foam. It was very funny, by summer when the car was very hot, it smelled the burning plastic, lol, nonetheless the noises have disappeared, not all but almost. And trust me, the 410 will do the same noise and Lotus will does not care anymore of it. 

If you drive an EVORA IPS, there is no noise.

@Corsu thanks for your POV, it's really helpful for me to direct the dealer to evaluate all possible causes. 

My point is that, different from you, it doesn't seems a vibration but a gearwheel  noise, that happen mainly in acceleration at all gear with low revs. The crazy things is that for the  first 1/2km when you run on cold, it disappear ?, and run as it have to be... QUIET! 

could be all this things generated from the cables? I hope could be the way to solve it! 

Yes, it's looks like a gearwheel, totally agree, but it's not. And yes it doesn't happen when the car is cold ! What we thought with my dealer is that cables dilate. And yes, you have this noise at low revs :cry:

One of my friend had the same issue on the same Elise R as mine. Our dealers had looking together how fix the issue. Firstly, they tightened the cable, but the noise came back every time. After that, they isolated as they could the cable. I've done many tests for them and we fixed it. Meanwhile, Factory came to listen the noise and for them everyting was fine, bullshit. With my friend our Elise R didn't included Luxury Pack but the Pack Sport. So, zero phonic insulation. 

I recently drove the Evora 400, very nice car but I heard the same noise as i known on my Elise as you explained. One year ago, I drove an Exige V6, same thing.  But, interesting fact, if you drive an Elise Rover, you have no noise. We think that the noise come from the Toyota mechanic Transmission regardless the model. It's a shame, the Evora 400 is wonderful car to drive and trust me, i regularly drive McLaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini cars and they are not so funny except the 570S, a sex crime :devil:. I could buy a 400 but no, Lotus makes no effort to increase his quality level, too many issues for a 100k€ car. Sad but true. :(

To be fair, i think that the good car is the 410, no AC, no (crappy) Hifi, less weight, carbon seat (no squealing seat), sure more transmission noise but less issues because simple car. 

Directly from the review of the new Evora 410 on top gear: ^^On the road, it strikes a happy balance. You can chase the redline in second and third, bring the engine properly on song and rattle off gearchanges like Call of Duty reloads, but you don’t end up travelling so quickly that each prod of the gas is Russian roulette with your driving license. ^^

rattle of gearchange like call of duty reloads... OMG! ??? maybe they told about the noise of gear lever when you change gear, maybe speak about the famous gearwheel noise... we never know! 

@Corsu I'll be to the dealer probably on Friday.we'll try to change again gear oil with a new one, slightly different from motul gear 300 to understand if something change. After, I will submit your opinion about linkage and we'll think about an action to try to reduce noise.

The only things that continue to be in my mind is: why some Evora make this noise, why some other not ?

Full article at this link: 

http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/lotus/evora-400/35-v6-410-2dr/first-drive

I'd imagine he means 'quickly and often' rather than 'with noise' mate :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Actually I think it means it the noise from the gear selector sounds like reloading a rifle, when changing gear  ;)

On the basis the rattle is not there with cold oil, due to it's thickness, has anyone tried putting thicker oil in the gearbox (subject to it still be able to do its job) ?  I know when I had my caterham, people put different oil in the diff to quieten it down. 

One of many caterham threads re oils https://www.lotus7.club/forum/techtalk/differential-oil-and-lesson-learnt

Edited by DJW

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

4 hours ago, DJW said:

Actually I think it means it the noise from the gear selector sounds like reloading a rifle, when changing gear  ;)

On the basis the rattle is not there with cold oil, due to it's thickness, has anyone tried putting thicker oil in the gearbox (subject to it still be able to do its job) ?  I know when I had my caterham, people put different oil in the diff to quieten it down. 

One of many caterham threads re oils https://www.lotus7.club/forum/techtalk/differential-oil-and-lesson-learnt

This is exactly the same things that the dealer want to try with my car. I already change the standard oil with a motul gear 300 with ceramic treatment, but nothing changed because have the same specific of the ^official^ lotus oil. My dealer want to change again with a oil with different chemical specification, because he assume that the lotus oil specifications is right for the gearbox (diesel at 5000rpm) but not with is lotus real use (near a 3,5 supercharged, placed in a different position and that work with different rpm). So for.this reason he want to try a thicker oil to avoid rattles...

I'm not sure it could work but Iet you know if help. 

Back from the dealer... I left the car here... he thought that could be the differential... he was also impressed about the difference between the noise from video respect to the reality! His thought is that lotus used the same oil specifications of the 350, but with different differential mounted. So he want to try a red line and royal purple to understand if could be a problem of oil. If it isn't, we've to try to proceed with Lotus for an inspection under guarantee. I want to go in depth on this and I will keep you updated.

On 05/11/2016 at 12:42, Alfo86 said:

Back from the dealer... I left the car here... he thought that could be the differential... he was also impressed about the difference between the noise from video respect to the reality! 

I found this. The torsen uses a lot of gearing. It's could be noisy. 

3 hours ago, Corsu said:

I found this. The torsen uses a lot of gearing. It's could be noisy. 

@Corsu thanks for the video, really interesting.

As I saw, of course could be a little noisy but not in a motorway, where you go streight and the differential is blocked.

Isn't first car with the lsd, anyone of those make this noise at all gears. Usually had some noise when I run quickly on left/right and the Torsten work to put in the right way the car, avoid to loose traction. 

Friday I will call dealer for updates... hoping that they will have it.

I've driven and owned a few cars with Torsen diffs. Love 'em and never noticed any abnormal noise from them.. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I have a Torsen in my Honda Integra (Acura RSX here) I installed it myself.  It only makes noise at full lock in parking lots. 

I have a Quaife in my Lotus...  It never makes noise.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

@Corsu no big news at the moment. they tried to change oil with a "ticker" one, and tomorrow I've to wait about dealer test drive to compare car noise with the past oil change with motul gear 300 LS that, at high temperature, is more "liquid" to reduce friction and increse HP, increasing (probably) also the noise (this is the opinion of dealer).

I already prepared a google folder for my issue, pubblic for everyone want to know more about it, and give some opinion. inside two zip file that contains videos and documents that describe issue. the audio is improved for a better understanding about the issue. I

f you desire to share it with someone that can help me to understand more, feel free to do it and that god bless you for help :)

Here the link: (inside you've two packages of video that describe the issue in different situations)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-5pxWEGw1FHLVZOVXU4X0Z5bzQ?usp=sharing

this link is ready to be mastered in a CD and send to Lotus by postal services (they want videos but they cannot open public link on they system in 2016...OMG) if needed.

Tomorrow I hope to have additional info about how dealer want to proceed with.

Cross fingers :)

Yesterday I was to the dealer for an update. I make a test drive with my car with new oil, but nothing changed. I made a test with a different technician of the dealer, and also he listen a bad noise from the gearbox. We also discovered that we feel some play when you quickly engage disengage clutch. When I do it, I listen a cracking TOC noise from engine bay. No idea about it could also generate a rattle noise. The big problem is that they understood that they've to dismount engine and open gearbox and clutch pack to understand what's wrong, but lotus have to authorize that... and it seems had to have. Other things is that dealer is the first time that have an Evora 400 on repair, so mo benchmark about the noise with other car. WTF!!!! Have you any experience with lotus assistance? How can I move on this labirinth? I'm so sad and angry. :cry:

In fact, for this case, Lotus factory should send someone to check the issue.  You have nothing to do, it's up to your dealer to manage the issue nonetheless your car could be sent back to the factory. To be fair, it's the right thing to do. 

• 1 month later...

Hi @Corsu and all you guys,

first things have a nice year beginning?

regarding the transmission noise, finally lotus HQ start evaluating that me and my dealer aren't crazy inventing things. So they decided to coming in Italy to evaluating what could be the problem and authorize the right services under guarantee. I really don't know why they prefers coming here to check personally respect to authorizing directly what dealer   Have requested, spending a lot of money for traveling here and make the car stop longer. My opinion Is that they don't trust enough about what we thought, and they want to investigate with the objective to told that no service is needed at the end. But this is just my thinking...

the reaity is that the car is stopped,I pay insurance (2400) and taxes (3000 eur in Italy ??) without using the car. We don't have any date at the moment, but tomorrow I will call dealer to have more info and push for having an investigation date.

I will let you know.

Thanks to the news !  :)

I think that Lotus will send back your car to Hethel ! I'm not sure that they allow your dealer to solve something. 

My next car should be a Lamborghini Huracan, more reliable, more beautiful, more powerful and a lot of more expensive ! I love it every time I drive it :wub:

Edited by Corsu

@Corsu In part I hope that you'll have reason. My fear is that he came and told that's normal, normal as the clima that whistle when placed in hot (terrible but true) that I'm sure that could be fixed but still waiting from lotus authorization, like the farting seat and other thing (fixed in part) ...  At that time, I'll sold car because probably I had too much expectation after spending 106k.

Maybe I'm the wrong owner ?

10 hours ago, Alfo86 said:

Hi @Corsu and all you guys,

first things have a nice year beginning?

regarding the transmission noise, finally lotus HQ start evaluating that me and my dealer aren't crazy inventing things. So they decided to coming in Italy to evaluating what could be the problem and authorize the right services under guarantee. I really don't know why they prefers coming here to check personally respect to authorizing directly what dealer   Have requested, spending a lot of money for traveling here and make the car stop longer. My opinion Is that they don't trust enough about what we thought, and they want to investigate with the objective to told that no service is needed at the end. But this is just my thinking...

the reaity is that the car is stopped,I pay insurance (2400) and taxes (3000 eur in Italy ??) without using the car. We don't have any date at the moment, but tomorrow I will call dealer to have more info and push for having an investigation date.

I will let you know.

This sounds familiar. Lotus are acustomed to sending technicians overseas to diagnose problem first. The cost of flights and an overnight stay for a technician is minial to really ensure the problem is the same as what you are describing.

Anyway, I'm almost sure its the same problem discussed in the following link from 2013. Something to do with the clutch release bearing and a sleeve. It is present at some degree in most Evora's but some are a lot louder than others. Judging by your videos yours is pretty loud to me although always difficult to be sure of the volume from videos with the rest of the background noise.

By the way, the guy in this link had an engineer come out towards the end of his warranty and they still did the work and replaced for him so I'd say your chances are pretty good. I guess because they know the noise is a characteristic of the car sending an engineer out will determine whether they think the volume of the sound is within tolerence or not. Im not suggesting they're using a scientic method, more of a common sense approach as to whether the volume of the sound is higher than normal thus spoiling the enjoyment of the car ?

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/evora-clutch-release-bearing-165041/#/topics/165041?page=2&_k=5mxoi9