Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The last Elan to leave Hethel?? - M100 Elan - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

The last Elan to leave Hethel??

LOTUSMAN33

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks for the positive comments, it has been great fun getting to the bottom of the story where others have tried without much luck. 

Derek Dean sent me the advert from when he was selling it in 1997, I contacted him in Australia, he replied with a friendly email, amazing he found it after all this time. ??

image.jpeg

Even the wheel arch liners have the wording 'Master with trim lines 8/9/89' and are smooth unlike the production ribbed type.image.jpeg

The panels are thinner as mostly hand laid up, it also has the provision for ABS sensors which never made production even in the U.S.

I would be posting photos forever to show all the oddities so will create a file sometime with all the information and photos instead.

image.jpegAnother one of the many labels on the loom.

Only a few of the IB cars survive with one in the US ( sent over for Honey, I blew up the kid movie), one in bits for resto and a couple on SORN, mine was the only one kept by Lotus and not registered for the road. Most were scrapped shortly after production started. Our research has uncovered all the missing cars which we have on a chart ( can't post as it shows all the chassis and engine numbers).

Dave ?

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Your help is what really pulled the story together as previous owners had bits but things get lost over the years. Paul Matty did some investigations before Andy Graham was in his post but can't remember everything he found out as many years ago. I have loads of emails and messages which I need to read through again and still one owner to trace.

Many thanks again Stuart to you and your dad. ???

Dave ?

Brilliant well done Dave M100s are becoming classics as they should. My Advice keep it if you can don't make the same mistake as I did with Esprit Turbo Essex Prototype MPW71V.

Regards Mike

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Mike, MPW will always be the one that got away for me as well! I think everyone looks back eventually and wishes they still owned a certain car from their past. I used to laugh at the older guys in work when they reminisced over Mk1 Coopers and Cortina Savages, I am that man now with all the youngsters laughing at me with all their plug and play cars! ?

All jap crap to me but I can understand the attraction and it is interesting listening to what they get up to and the amazing power these cars develop. ?

The M100 will get its day I am sure, just read Mark Hughes book (the bible) and understand the effort which Lotus put into the development of these cars would convert many, it certainly open my eyes to these overlooked gems.

My advice is buy one now when they are so cheap still! ?

Dave ?

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

You could always have a punt at one of the two I have for sale. One has a message on the rear number plate which read's.

Elan M100, The Forgotten Lotus.

IMAG0144.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

sm IMAG0219.jpg

• Like 1

Great cars and hard not to keep one in the family, if you let them both go I guarantee you will get another eventually! It has happened to me several times but always miss that open top Lotus experience in the end.

Took mine work today which never happens and had lots of people mention it as right outside in view, most never even knew I still owned one let alone two! ?

John, get some prices up you never know...

Dave ?

image.jpeg

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Here you go Dave.

The Green one is a very low mileage car with only two previous owners. When I found her she had a genuine 42,275 miles on the clock and all documented by previous MOT's etc, now reading 42570. Front clam, rear spoiler and boot lid just resprayed due to lacquer peel. New brake calipers and pad's on all four corners , new tires all round, new injectors, newly serviced for sale at £5995 ovno. The Blue one which is Wendy's car is mildly tuned, goes and handles like sh++t but needs a new hood cover which I have been quoted £480 for a Mohair replacement, fitted for £850. She is for sale at £4995. Full description of both on lotusfosale.com

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

All ready to go to the body shop, amazing how long it takes to strip down. I was really pleased with the condition behind the front bumper which was corrosion free so put in back on a couple loose fixings to help the paint shop.

Also found another couple labels behind the wing mirrors both date 23/10/89 which was pretty cool.

IMG_2394.JPGIMG_2395.JPGIMG_2393.JPG

Shame to strip down for just a few marks and digs but will be worth it when done making the body condition match the wheels and interior. Took me longer to remove the badges and glue than in did to do the bumper! Whatever double sided Lotus used is top quality.

Dave :) 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Rather late on this topic, but I understood that the very successful Morgan racer Keith Alhers purchased the very last official M100. Its boot lid is signed by all the Lotus factory luminaries of the time and resides with Keith in Jersey with virtually zero miles ?

Excellent Tim, was that the last S2 of the 800 odd car run? What colour and spec was it? ?

Mine is a 1989 Factory development car so not the last made just maybe the last one to leave the factory after everything was sold off, it sat in the design studios after being a Factory development toy hence being registered so late.

As far as I know Keith's is the last S2, for some reason I think its in some sort of metallic plum colour, but it's too long ago for that fact to be clear. Keith offered it to me for sale on a couple of occasions, saying I was the man for it, as it didn't really fit in to his twenty plus Morgan collection. But our family S2 was in pretty good order, and it made no sense to change it at the time. Now since my retirement I've completely rebuilt the underside, fitted a new M100 Hoods, hood, Nitron Dampers, and totally re bushed the whole car, so it's almost like new again, and it has that special history for us .

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Gold FFM
On 2/13/2017 at 22:53, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Excellent Tim, was that the last S2 of the 800 odd car run? What colour and spec was it? ?

Mine is a 1989 Factory development car so not the last made just maybe the last one to leave the factory after everything was sold off, it sat in the design studios after being a Factory development toy hence being registered so late.

Dave

What a wonderful story, D.J Dean had access to some very very interesting Lotus cars (and spares) direct from the factory, ex-press,development cars, etc.....and was a great source for parts and I used to drive to Ruislip regularly to see what had just come in

M100's are great cars and are still under appreciated, my S2 was better built than my MK1 Elise   

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

After a long delay at the bodyshop IB10 is finally roadworthy again, it has taken many long days putting her back together and now she is looking fantastic along with driving really well with only 33k on the clock. Still a few bits to sort like install remote central locking after previously removing the alarm systems, getting the vent system cleaned as blowing out old dust and leaves, a good valet and sorting out the ride height. Being a development car it is fitted with a unique set of springs, as per the Mark Hughes book the cars handled better with increased height but this was sacrificed for aesthetic appeal. I am thinking of a complete adjustable set up from SJ and just keeping the originals in the loft as in great condition.

Federal cars were sold with this height from new so with this thought to possibly be the Detroit motor show car it kind of fits, it also has federal lights and gasoline decals. 

IMG_0684.thumb.JPG.818b8481da3e8a611920f2ccc8db2aac.JPG

IMG_0686.thumb.JPG.11a1ce9e129e3157d58a47c4017c61de.JPG

The big question is which one to keep as don't really have space for this one and the dry sump Esprit? My intention was to sell this after I bought the Esprit but must say after driving it today she is quick with the factory tuned and remapped development set up. 

Any thoughts ?

Dave :-) 

• Like 2

Lol! Your car does inspire Stephen, still sitting on the fence as the M100 is such a well put together car and certainly more useable. I think if I start on the dry sump it would seal the poor Elans fate...?

• Like 1