free hit
counters
My Elise S1 lost reverse gear - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

My Elise S1 lost reverse gear

As written in the title, I don't have my reverse gear anymore. It happened about two week ago the first time. I got back home, got the car ready to park in my garage and then when I tried to select the reverse, simply I couldn't. Its like it never been there and you can feel only resistance if you try to force the lever there. The weird thing is that as suddenly as it happened, the day after the gear was back, until yesterday when it was gone again.
I actually discovered in August that my gear cables are in bad shape, expecially the rubber rods ends that is gone on one of them, so I think the first thing to look after are those but I'm not sure that they are the whole problem because the other gears still work as intended. What do you think about it?

Also are Eliseparts.com mechanical parts of good quality? I've been tempted many time to buy there for the good prices but never done because I wasn't sure about that. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same in my first Elise and took the opportunity to buy this upgrade. 

https://www.eliseparts.com/products/show/12/174/eliseparts-gear-linkage-kit/

Problem was solved for me, very impressed with the kits and enclosed instructions to fit :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

15 hours ago, Bibs said:

I had the same in my first Elise and took the opportunity to buy this upgrade. 

https://www.eliseparts.com/products/show/12/174/eliseparts-gear-linkage-kit/

Problem was solved for me, very impressed with the kits and enclosed instructions to fit :)

So this one is a kit to upgrade existing cables (if they are still good) while this https://www.eliseparts.com/products/show/12/1370/ep-tuning-gear-cables/ is the full spare part?

Yup, it's new bushes, bolts etc. The Nylatron bushes are much better than the fitted hollow rubber ones. Took me 45 mins to fit, piece of cake :)

6-f0707.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.