free hit
counters
sleeping beauty - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
biggee

sleeping beauty

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Lee,  are you getting rid of this one, with reference to my previous comment, is there a my Golf cabrio + cash deal available here?

Lee - a series 2.2 so defo worth the effort but no small job none the less.

ffs keep quiet about the moss or Natural England will slap a listing on it!

GL

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Looks a bit like the condition mine was in when I brought it and I'm sure it will be worth it in the end

I can feel a Northampton meet coming up!

That has made me feel better mike , i have looked back over your resto page and like what you have achieved so far , so mine  could be rescued from the brink . A meet up would be good , just need to sort my storage and garage situation . One car in northampton , one in ditchford and one in wellingborough .

how is yor project coming along ? 

9 hours ago, oilmagnet477 said:

Lee - a series 2.2 so defo worth the effort but no small job none the less.

ffs keep quiet about the moss or Natural England will slap a listing on it!

GL

the values of eclats and early excels have me totally confused , is the 2.2 eclat worth more than a s1 eclat ? , is the 2.2 eclat worth more tthan an early excel ? . It is hard to get an understanding because prices are so varied , and you never get to see what the actual price paid . What do you think my eclat  is worth in its present state ,  I am not going to sell it , and i wont be offended , just wondered if the £1000 I paid for it was justified ?? 

Depends how long ago Lee,  1k now would be pretty good deal in my eyes given that a lot more people are buying complete cars now, also things like the lotus engine on fleabay seem to going for mad money even if they need rebuilds.  As a parts car alone you would more than make your money back. :)  But that is just imo the 4 seater brigade on here know a lot more on the value side.  I am only just getting into the 4 seater lotus scene so trying to find out prices myself etc. As i wish to bag an elite project soon. :)

A

2 hours ago, biggee said:

That has made me feel better mike , i have looked back over your resto page and like what you have achieved so far , so mine  could be rescued from the brink . A meet up would be good , just need to sort my storage and garage situation . One car in northampton , one in ditchford and one in wellingborough .

how is yor project coming along ? 

Then there is Charlie (cbeclat) in rushden. My project will probably not see an mot this year now. I need to get some stuff rechroming but a good weeks work would see most of it done!

My car came from a Manchester council estate. All of my pictures are here. https://goo.gl/photos/vR3gzV7DTfvzZ3Ms5

There are pictures of the interior about half way down, which to be honest looks worse than yours. The guy I brought it from said it ran and when I turned up with a guy with a low loader he was trying to coax it into life and when it eventually started with lots of blue and white smoke the guy who was transporting it looked at me and asked me if I was sure I wanted to buy it! It looked like an expensive proposition and it hasn't disappointed on that front but I have enjoyed every minute of it so far.

Yours should clean up and there are still plenty of bits availible at not much money. Enjoy the journey!

1 hour ago, mikeeech said:

My car came from a Manchester council estate. All of my pictures are here. https://goo.gl/photos/vR3gzV7DTfvzZ3Ms5

There are pictures of the interior about half way down, which to be honest looks worse than yours. The guy I brought it from said it ran and when I turned up with a guy with a low loader he was trying to coax it into life and when it eventually started with lots of blue and white smoke the guy who was transporting it looked at me and asked me if I was sure I wanted to buy it! It looked like an expensive proposition and it hasn't disappointed on that front but I have enjoyed every minute of it so far.

Yours should clean up and there are still plenty of bits availible at not much money. Enjoy the journey!

thanks for the link , incredible set of pictures  

Good job.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

You are right about varied values for sure but then no 2 elites or eclats are the same.

I paid £2.5k for my non-running 39k miles, 1976 S1. However, it had 1 owner since 1979 who put a galv chassis in it (I reckon that saved me a couple of grand at least!) and has generally looked after the car really well. Therefore, although £2.5k seems rich, I really think, as an unrestored car it is quite rare and hence potentially more valuable.

I have spent probably £500 already (new windscreen alone was over £300 - ignoring the cost of the trip to Lotusbits lol) and have at least another £1.5k for fuel pipes, cam belt, water pump, front trunions, rear UJs, electrics, tyres etc etc.

I hope that leaves me with a road worthy, 'unmolested' car, but as we have seen all to often, cars wanting a complete overhaul make £1-1.5k and then need anywhere from £5-10k plus (ignoring time hey Mike!) to get them sorted into a really good car. Mint cars rarely make what they cost to put right but then I personally don't really see that as important.

I am just happy that I seem to have a genuine, solid, hopefully useable vehicle in the not to distant future. I think, but for the unfortunate and in most cases undeserved reputation, these cars are better than many £10k plus classics.

I went along to a number of local TLF meetings before finding the right car but having now got my own, I do feel much more a part of something.

21 minutes ago, oilmagnet477 said:

I hope that leaves me with a road worthy, 'unmolested' car, but as we have seen all to often, cars wanting a complete overhaul make £1-1.5k and then need anywhere from £5-10k plus (ignoring time hey Mike!) to get them sorted into a really good car. Mint cars rarely make what they cost to put right but then I personally don't really see that as important.

I stopped counting at £15000 thinking all the money was spent but have racked up another £2k on door rubbers, badges, windscreen, grilles, fluids and general bits and bobs since! Mike Taylor will charge £35k

wow 17 k thats big money , but you will end up with a better than new car . 

I am i being dumb , didnt get the mike taylor thing ? .

Mike Taylor AKA LotusBits.

:) 

It's getting there......

1 hour ago, TAR said:

Mike Taylor AKA LotusBits.

:) 

Biggee - Lotusbits (near Coventry) are an essential item/contact IMO - very knowledgeable and helpful and a very good source of bits.

1 hour ago, biggee said:

wow 17 k thats big money , but you will end up with a better than new car . 

I am i being dumb , didnt get the mike taylor thing ? .

Better than new car? - if you translate the original cost of the car in 1974,5,6 (I think Mike's fits in there), then £17k in today's money is a bargain. £2500 in 1974 would have bought you a decent house!

Lee

Value is tricky to assess from a couple of photos.  £1K sounds pretty reasonable whatever if it's got a decent Getrag 'box and the chassis is OK (even the galvanised ones have been known to suffer in terrible conditions, since the zinc only lasts so long).  

Mike Each has done a tremendously thorough job on his, and he's outsourced some work, hence his bills.  But you can do it a lot cheaper if:

- you do any engine overhaul yourself.  Frankly, KISS. The main problems are likely to be from the engine sitting idle.  New wet liners and rings go a long way to fix this - not peanuts but not terrible money.

- the gearbox is OK.  You have a Getrag so that is probably going to be the case, unless the car has been abused.

- you can avoid massive respray costs.

- the car hasn't been sitting wet for a long time.  Door beams and all sorts of steel bodywork bit do go.

LotusBits will provide a lot of secondhand spares at peanuts prices.  Decent interiors still crop up on eBay now and again.

Have a look at Charlie Crocker's restoration thread for someone who did the basics very cheaply, given a fundamentally solid car.  He didn't respray; he didn't overhaul the engine; he got a cheap interior.

From the pics:

Reasons to be cheerful:

- its still got it airbox and cambelt cover, so it hasn't been messed with too much.

Reasons to to be fearful:

- paintwork looks shot.

- interior looks like its got pretty damp, and the cross-struct on the bonnet hinge looks a bit rusty.  Checkout how bad the latter is, since I've seen them crumble to dust when they've been i a field for years.

Edited by Herc
  • Like 1

On 18/09/2016 at 09:16, biggee said:

the values of eclats and early excels have me totally confused ,

is the 2.2 eclat worth more than a s1 eclat ?  - Yes, quite a bit more.

is the 2.2 eclat worth more tthan an early excel ? - Yes, although early narrow body excels are finally firming up in value, still a bit of a disparity though.

a grand isn't a disaster - far from it. you could break it for more just from selling the transmission and scrap 912 for rebuild.. Interest in these cars is rising, and the S2's are the pick of the bunch.

Expect to replace both door beams as they are likely to have all the structural rigidity of weetabix. Have a good look at the trailing arms as contrary to public opinion, not everything was galvanised on the S2.

The interior of S2 cars can survive pretty well vs S1 facrics. If the front seats are too far gone, xjs ones fit quite well. Others have used donors from mx5's and suchlike with good results.

If you remove the upper dash pad carefully (the bit with moss growing on it) you might find it is saveable.

Also, probably telling my gran to suck eggs, but don't even think about hitting that starter until you have whipped the plugs out and left a thin penetrating oil to pool on the piston tops for a day or so, and gently turned it over with a long bar on the crank pulley- a little bit at a time, forward and back until it'll do a full rotation without complaining. Once its free, change that belt and oil. Strip the carbs, then you can see if it'll fire up...

have fun!

• Like 1

I also got stuck into the trap of "whilst I'm at it I may as well do...". My bonnet frame was a good example. The original was O.K. (I gave it to DirectorDan after all) but wouldn't it be nicer if it was shiny and not pitted steel!

2 hours ago, Herc said:

But you can do it a lot cheaper if:

You do want needs to be done. Have a plan and stick to it.

My "plan" was to have a car I could slowly improve... but this changed since, "whilst your at it!"

• Like 2

My car was a 'good' car to start with, decent chassis (no rust anywhere), straight as an arrow body (albeit tired paint - now shiny) diamond of an engine (got lucky on that), shite interior changed that for 200 knicker, wheels and tyres, few custom mods, oh and just a matter of around 1000 hours in the garage. If I out sourced my time spent on the car you wouldn't see much change out of about 25-30k, care to make me an offer, ha!

• Like 2

WOW mikeech that's made me weak at the knees just looking at the amount of work gone into your Elite. 

Absolute respect!!!

I need to get my finger out and get my poor old yoke sorted!

1 hour ago, Green Elite said:

WOW mikeech that's made me weak at the knees just looking at the amount of work gone into your Elite. 

Absolute respect!!!

I need to get my finger out and get my poor old yoke sorted!

Thanks. I hope it will be one of the best but everything needed doing, all the things that you should look out for before buying needed to be done and with a bit of luck my restoration thread will at least be a useful source of reference to others although it doesn't cover the work in depth.

Hi All ,

Time for a reality check . I am now the owners of 5 lotus's , 1 spitfire and a tr6 . The chances of me completing them all  , if any is slim with limited free time  . My final purchase was a 92 se excel , that I bought months ago , paid for but still not collected . Time to rationalise the fleet and concentrate on a couple . I am going to test the market and put the  S2 Éclat on ebay and see happens . I would prefer it didn't get broken up , so if anyone fancies a challenge ?

@biggee, thanks bud,

I am now in possession of most of an Elite interior, 2 sill bright fittings, a cowling that fits at the front of the engine, 2 complete doors, 2 windscreen motors (1 front and 1 rear), a windscreen (lightly delaminated but I hope useable!), other random bits of glass, vacuum pods etc etc.

Just a shame I didn't buy the car off you in Northampton before driving nearly to Poole in Dorset and back in a day!!! Still, I only paid £30 for the lot!

The 'owner' of what is left is building what looks like a really interesting kit car on the chassis.

I hope @clivef38 is happy as I have a radio ariel that I will let him have at the August meet ;)