free hit
counters
Shockingly bad service from Murray Lotus - Edinburgh - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Shockingly bad service from Murray Lotus - Edinburgh

So i'm done with giving Murray Lotus anymore business from this day forward. Some of you might be famiiar with the start of my issues from back in March - backgorund in this thread http://www.scottishelises.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41556

But what has been going on in the last couple of weeks really takes the biscuit and all I can say is I'm glad Craig Moncrieff is about otherwise I'd have gotten rid of the Evora just so I didn't have to use the Murray service department.

So the story goes as follows:

1. After months of me (not Murray's) chasing Lotus for the centre tunnel replacement it finally got delivered last month
2. Car was booked in for getting the tunnel replaced along with the passenger floor carpet and getting paint defects corrected on the driver side rear panel
3. Car handed in at the start of September with agreed completion date of Friday 9th so that I could hand the car into CMC on the Friday so the front clam could be removed for a new windscreen to be fitted while I was away on holiday
4. Due to Lotus questioning the paint defect (thinking it had been repainted, when it hadn't) there was a delay in the work getting finished so the car wasn't finished until Monday so MMC had to drop the car off to Craig first thing before Autoglass turned up - so no big deal here.

The problems occured when I picked the car up after the windscreen had been fitted.

1. The headunit wasn't working, no power going to it
2. The red airbag light was on
3. The yellow spanner light was on
4. The new floor carpet hadn't been replaced and was just left on the floor
5. Inside of the car had not been cleaned following the mess left over from removing the whole interior and putting it back in
6. The lighter/power port on the rear of the tunnel doesn't work anymore
7. They had somehow managed to get my phone charging wire lodged into the rear seats when putting it back into place

So I got in touch with MMC on Tuesday 13th via e-mail in the morning, got no response from MMC on Tuesday, heard nothing back on Wednesday and so I followed up with another e-mail on Thursday this time copying in Lotus customer services and funny enough a response came back from Damien at MMC where by there was total denial of the airbag light, head unit and yellow spanner light. No acknowlegment of not cleaning the car or the charging wire. The only thing accepted by MMC was about the floor carpet.

I responded angry and annoyed on the Thursday back to MMC via e-mail to include point number 6 as I only discovered that after my first e-mail. But you guessed it no response from MMC at all.

All I can say is a massive thank you to Craig and his guys at CMC (http://craigmoncrieff.com), as Craig has kindly rectified most of the issues with the car for me.

It will cost me to get the interior back out to rectify the power socket but I am so hacked off with MMC i'm not going back to them for anything!

Edited by saj

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've resisted contributing to this debate as its been quite emotive but as I've just had my Esprit V8 serviced and MOT'd at MMC (for the 11th year running) I feel I have to comment. Once again, I

Posted Images

MMC service went downhill as soon as Craig left.

When in Edinburgh on my running in trip, I made a point of visiting CMC and not MMC.

I believe the only reason people are using MMC is for warranty work and a lotus stamp, but CMC for everything else.

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

I'd agree, only reason my car was in there was for the warranty work which is well overdue given my warranty actually ended in April, it is only because the centre tunnel took months to get from Lotus that this work has only been carried out now.

I've been using CMC since Craig opened up, in fact I think I had all my brakes replaced before Craig had properly opened up.

The biggest issue with Murray's is the attitude of the service staff, it is just shockingly bad. I won't be buying anymore cars from Murray's either. They lost all my business along with my families business which ok in the grand scheme of things probably isn't a big deal but I've bought 3 cars from them in the last 6 years and betwen my brothers another two and we've had 6 cars go to them for all servicng work too during this time.

• Gold FFM

Really sorry to hear this Saj. I've never had a problem with MMC to be honest but tend to use CM because of his reputation and that of his guys who are superb.

I hope MMC turn it round. I've driven past twice recently but never see any Loti through all the Mitsubishi trucks on the forecourt.

Hope you get it all sorted.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Pretty unfortunate chain of events Saj. Maybe put your review on here?

https://www.thelotusforums.com/reviews/

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

13 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Really sorry to hear this Saj. I've never had a problem with MMC to be honest but tend to use CM because of his reputation and that of his guys who are superb.

I hope MMC turn it round. I've driven past twice recently but never see any Loti through all the Mitsubishi trucks on the forecourt.

Hope you get it all sorted.

I'm highly doubtful that anything will be sorted by MMC - still no response since Thursday but I honestly want nothing to do with them now, so much so that I'll pay to rectify the issues I've been left with.

8 hours ago, ramjet said:

Pretty unfortunate chain of events Saj. Maybe put your review on here?

https://www.thelotusforums.com/reviews/

Thanks for that, I'll defintiely be doing that, I've already left them a 1 star review on Facebook.

• Gold FFM

Saw your car in Craig's with the front bumber / clam off ready for the windscreen and had a good look around. Reinforced to me I will never do my own spannering!

Still think red is THE BEST colour for an Evora too ;)

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Yep still my favoruite colour on the car although I do like the new 400 in Black and Orange.

9 hours ago, ian29gte said:

Be interesting to see Murray's response.

They remain radio silent.

Very sad to hear of poor dealer service when there are comparatively few of them around.

Good to know Scotland has a decent Lotus chap in the guise of Craig though

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 13:13, saj said:

They remain radio silent.

Hardly surprising given all the $hitspreading you have been doing on every lotus forum out there you have thought of. I wouldn't be surprised if Craig is squirming a little at your outbursts given the he founded his own reputation by way of MMC.

For balance, I had just had my Evora S back from it's 4 year service at MMC and I have ZERO complaints.

• Like 1
On Sunday, September 18, 2016 at 23:04, CocoPops said:

MMC service went downhill as soon as Craig left.

When in Edinburgh on my running in trip, I made a point of visiting CMC and not MMC.

I believe the only reason people are using MMC is for warranty work and a lotus stamp, but CMC for everything else.

Hi cocoa pops 

May I ask what you Base your above statement on .

Andrew 

Which bit? Going downhill?

I bought my first Evora from MMC and whilst Craig was there, my queries were answered quickly.
Once he left, my experiences were not so good.

So, whilst it was a remote experience, it was still experience.
As for believing people only use MMC for warranty work and service stamps, that's feedback from other scottish users. Word of mouth travels fast.

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

• 2 weeks later...

I've resisted contributing to this debate as its been quite emotive but as I've just had my Esprit V8 serviced and MOT'd at MMC (for the 11th year running) I feel I have to comment.

Once again, I was contacted directly about two weeks before the work was due with a courteous reminder. I duly booked it in and mentioned a couple of minor niggles which they promised to look into. I dropped the car off at 8.00am Thursday morning and received a call late afternoon giving me a comprehensive update and some additional work that would have to be done to pass the MOT. Duly authorised the work was done and the car passed its MOT today. I collected it as planned late afternoon - it had been washed and valeted as usual and unbeknownst to me, they now carry out an inspection of the alloys and refurbed most of the knicks, at no charge. They do in fact carry out a full inspection and note any issues that might need addressing in the future.

The total cost for the A service, parts and labour was more than reasonable and in fact was a very pleasant surprise, much less than I was expecting.

Whilst there were no major issues this time round, I was kept fully informed and the whole experience was as usual extremely professional and courteous. When I have had to have major works carried out and they have kept the car for a week or two, its always been down to delays in getting parts but again, I have always been kept fully informed and all my calls and emails answered in a timely fashion. Brandon and Ian are always available for a good chat and a coffee - did I mention they let me have the Evora 400 for a long weekend away I had planned back in July when the Esprit sprung a leak?.

Brandon also sold me my Volvo XC 70 back in 2011 and I still drive over to MMC to get it serviced and MOT'd, even though we have a local Volvo dealer this side of the river.

So, a big shout out to Nick and the team to balance the negativity in this thread. And after speaking with Duncan at length today Saj, you really ought to be certain of your facts before posting.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd have updated the thread sooner but wanted to see if MMC would change their ways but they haven't. If there are still any sceptics out there about how utterly crap MMC are now this should probably cement everything that has been said before. Part of the delay in updating the thread is because when the issue I'll describe in a moment came up I had struggled for a week to get in touch with Lotus Customer services as all my e-mails kept bouncing. A quick call to Neil Turner (Lotus Customer Services) problem resolved with the e-mail - the images I was sending were too large.

Anyway so the day before the last Rev Limits track night I picked up on another issue with my car. I went to open the boot of my car only to discover I couldn't open it. This I think was actually the first time I went to open the boot since having my car back but I can't be sure, however I was unable to lift the boot open more than a few inches. I gently lowered and raised it to see what the issue was only to find a crack on the drivers side of the top grill where the heat escapes from the engine bay.

I closed the boot to inspect it further and on closer inspection I could clearly see that the grill section hadn't actually been put back on the car properly following the paint work that was done by MMC. You'll see from the picture the large gap between the grill panel and roof panel on the driver side and from the other picture the passenger side so that you can see clearly the difference and how the driver side should be. I've also now inspected the panel and to my eye the actual panel itself doesn't look to be correctly fitted either as the gap between the panel and the drivers door is larger than the gap between the same panel on the passenger side.

I can open the boot when the car is cold and not driven, but once the car has been driven and the grill panel heats up it is expanding/moving and preventing the boot from lifting open. I have to get someone to push down on the grill panel slightly so that the boot can then fully be raised.

Crack in grill panel and gap between it and the roof panel - driver side

Gap_and_Crack_in_Grill_Driver_Side_small

Grill panel - passenger side

Passenger_Side_small.jpg

Now given MMC decided to ignore me I decided I was done trying to deal with them and went directly to Neil Turner with my issue. I have to say when I spoke to Neil on the phone I got the level of customer service and understanding that you should expect - so a big thumbs up for Neil on this occasion. Neil took the pictures I sent and took over communicating with MMC.

Neil got back to me yesterday with the following:

"Dear Sajid.

Murrays have provided me with photographs taken before and after their repair which confirm that they have not removed or adjusted the rear clam during their paint repair and because of the public negativity shown towards them, they decline to assist further in relation to this specific issue as they feel they have carried out their repair to the best of their ability.

I can do little to influence their stance, so all I can do is to supply you with a new rear cosmetic panel directly to replace the cracked one. If you choose to have this fitted by Craig then so be it, butm I cannot accept any charges or costs in relation to this work, I am sorry.

Would you like me to send you a new panel with our compliments?

Please let me know."

So first off given the response from MMC back to Lotus I'm glad that Neil offered me a new panel even if I do have to fork out for fitting it myself.

However what I don't know is what pictures MMC sent to Neil for MMC to claim the rear clam hadn't been removed or adjusted. MMC have clearly forgotten they sent me a ton of pictures of all the work including this one below which I have sent on to Neil. It clearly shows the rear clam was adjusted to allow the paintwork to be done:

clam_removal.jpg

What I don't know yet is if MMC sent the above picture to Neil, I doubt it and they probably sent the one below or similar where you can't really tell the clam has been lifted off. At least you can see the top grill was removed.

rear_section.jpg

I highly doubt though that they sent Neil the first one otherwise I can't see how Neil would believe that the rear clam wasn't removed or adjusted. I am waiting for Neil's response on this so let's see what he comes back with. I suspect he has gone back to MMC with the first image I've given him that counters MMCs claim.

Once Neil gets back to me, I'll provide another update but as it stands this really isn't looking good for MMC's honor and integrity. Even if Neil gets them to fork out for the repair now that he has the evidence of a crap job I don't think I could give my car to them anyway as I simply can't trust them anymore.

It just gets worse...........

Difficult one Saj. A learning opportunity here.

businesses and people do not intentionally make mistakes. A good working relationship is required to work through issues when they do arise. Unfortunately here it's been somewhat soured before they had the opportunity to resolve this.

good luck with fixing the panel - I feel your pain

Only here once

They were given the opportunity to resolve this when all the original issues were highlighted to them, they just chose to deny fault for the workmanship so the relationship went sour from that point.

Stupidly they chose not to even try and fix things now, instead they could have attempted to salvage the situation when Lotus got in touch but they chose not to because they forgot I had evidence to disprove what they told Lotus and as a result get away with it.

I'm now just highlighting based on the recent situation and their original denial of fault they can't be trusted.

That crack in the trim would do my head in, especially as you'd see it every time you get in the car. How come this cracked trim has only come to light now if you think Murray damaged it weeks ago?

For what it's worth I've had nothing but great service from them. Slight niggles that most used car warranties would try to wriggle out of have been dealt with quickly and efficiently.

It hasn't come to light now, it was weeks ago I'm now just updating the thread on where things are at the moment. I said at the start of the update I had issues getting my pictures across to Lotus which contributed to the delays.

The grill along with the rear panel hasn't been put back on properly. As a result of it not being on properly the grill is not attached correctly which has caused it to crack.

Irrespective of anything else, from your pictures it does seem to be the black trim panel that is incorrectly fitted not the clam. So hopefully it's just a case of having the new panel fitted correctly. Which from memory isn't a big job.

Gav 

If I get a chance I'll take some pictures of the rear clam so you'll be able to see the gap difference between the driver door and the rear clam when compared to the passenger side.

Will that be before or after further adjustments? Looking at the chronological reporting of your issues, and particularly the most recent one together with all the timing between each, if I were Lotus I would be telling you to FRO.