free hit
counters
What makes the Esprit ride so special? - Page 4 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Straightbend

What makes the Esprit ride so special?

Your phone number is on the wall in Richmond Park gents public toilet but that doesn't mean a thing either?

Margate Exotics.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I always thought 'Sex Ninja' was a term of endearment.  Dammit.  

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

On 20/09/2016 at 14:43, JayEmm said:

@Iconic Ride I don't know of any mid or rear engined cars that get a 50/50 weight distribution? As far as I know the last Lotus to achieve that was the Excel?

My Evora shares weight distribution with a 911. Look at how far back the engine is and it's not really a surprise.

sure my eighties alfa gtv was advertised as having near perfect 50/50 weight distribition

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

yeah yeah but gearbox was in the back i think

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

29 minutes ago, pete said:

yeah yeah but gearbox was in the back i think

A transaxle is not unheard of on many sports cars - usually for the exact reason of weight distribution... but the point remains I have yet to hear of any mid engined (with the engine BEHIND the driver) car that has a 50/50 weight distribution. The early Esprits I don't think were massively far off? I guess they got worse as the engine got bigger, heavier, etc...

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

50/50 weight distribution isn't the optimal set up for performance cars, you want the weight bias towards the rear in most cases for a good number of reasons. 

http://automotivethinker.com/chassis/stop-and-weight-a-5050-weight-distribution-is-not-optimal/

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Definitely - my M3 is near perfect 50/50 weight distribution and can be a bit scary - the Evora is 62% rear and the best handling car I've ever driven

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

21 hours ago, Buddsy said:

@OwenGT3 Owen's GT3 made me think about one of those recently. Owens GT3 really looks sleek and a complete one coherent design.

Owen you still considering selling?

Buddsy

At the moment no, looks like I'm the owner for a little longer. Respray looks like it will happen around Christmas time if I can get my garden sorted to store the car once it comes back from the painters, as it won't be going on the road straight away. Stage two will be engine out and fuel tanks serviced, plus the engine head as well as a list of other items on the engine, not bad, just jobs I want to do.

• Like 1

Wow. What happened to the thread? What's with all the off topic bickering? Please take it elsewhere gentlemen. Let's keep this on topic please.

Edited by Straightbend

There is a wind up going on here or is it just me 

Basic member for 3 days read back 

• Like 2

On 9/21/2016 at 12:19, Andyww said:

The difference is at low speeds. With a larger scrub radius the wheel rolls around the curve traced by the wheel movement on the road when the steering is turned. With a small radius the wheel rotates about a point on the road and the grip of the tyre resists the steering effort.

Sorry but I still don't get you.  Decreasing the scrub radius would make steering easier to turn.

4 hours ago, Bibs said:

50/50 weight distribution isn't the optimal set up for performance cars, you want the weight bias towards the rear in most cases for a good number of reasons. 

http://automotivethinker.com/chassis/stop-and-weight-a-5050-weight-distribution-is-not-optimal/

Very interesting read. Thanks for posting it.

On 9/21/2016 at 16:49, Vanya said:

Yes it's "only" 80 kg difference, but the key is in its distribution. You REALLY feel that 918 behind your back. 

I've had the great pleasure of being able to drive an SE, V8, Exige 350 and Evora 400  back to back and I can say, hands down, that my SE has more in common with the Exige in terms of how it feels on the road (and weight-wise) than the V8. 

The 4-pot is more nimble and I'm far more comfortable throwing it around a bend than the V8.

I concur with the others that driver feedback is what makes the Esprit pure magic. Every ride is a revelation - for my part, I love the weight of the steering and feeling the texture of the road through the wheel on the SE, a characteristic that isn't there to any degree in the V8, but they're different cars and I treat them as such. 

I'd love to learn how to drive "properly" (going to look into the Lotus academy next summer) so I can find the limits of the cars on a track - I've driven the SE at absolutely terrifying speeds down widowmaker roads and it's never missed a beat, with brake fade being the only sign that I ought to ease up a little.

It makes total sense. A smaller mass will be more well behaved, at least logically.

How much work was done on the suspension of the V8 cars to accommodate the extra mass? It would be interesting to compare the suspension settings between a 4 cyl. and a V8 of the same model year.

8 hours ago, Bibs said:

A lengthy but informative piece of blog journalism, Bibs, and I tend to agree with most of the author's observations and opinions. But there was quite an energetic food fight in the numerous replies that followed. The "they will never take me alive" factor was frequently evident. And a bit of "don't confuse me with the facts" in play as well. Still, the author did succeed in getting at least one person to question his "traditional" viewpoint. That would be moi. Thank you for posting the link.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

8 hours ago, Straightbend said:

Sorry but I still don't get you.  Decreasing the scrub radius would make steering easier to turn.

Its easy to demonstrate this in my own garage because I have the Esprit and another car which has a near zero scrub radius. If I turn the wheel on the latter its very stiff to turn and the tyres squeak as they twist on the contact point on the floor. 

On the Esprit its easy to turn and no squeak as the wheels rotate and roll around an arc on the floor when the steering is being turned.

• Like 1

50/50 is still the case in factories today, all car design engineers will find the centre of mass on the chassis/body and fit parts accordingly to try to reach/keep the goal of 50/50 this is what i have always been told :ermm:

A

3 hours ago, Andyww said:

Its easy to demonstrate this in my own garage because I have the Esprit and another car which has a near zero scrub radius. If I turn the wheel on the latter its very stiff to turn and the tyres squeak as they twist on the contact point on the floor. 

On the Esprit its easy to turn and no squeak as the wheels rotate and roll around an arc on the floor when the steering is being turned.

Do you mean now while standing still in your garage?

By the way, is there an unit to measure scrub radius? As to make it easier to compare the Esprit's to that of Porsches etc.

Edited by Straightbend

A laser alignment setup might be able to measure it. I am not sure drawings exist for the Esprit suspension. 

Related question: How many cars, performance or otherwise, call for front wheel "toe out," as does the Esprit (at least the V8)? Every prior car I have owned called for "toe in.

What is the rationale for one or the other?

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.