free hit
counters
Cheap Evora - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Vat qualifying means that you can reclaim the vat if it's a business vehicle......should not be plus vat

It won't be plus vat, if that is the case the advert must state that. "VAT qualifying" is a term used on certain cars used for business purposes. A VAT qualifying car is one that has been used ON

I fully agree, but a car is not usually classified as a commercial vehicle hence the different VAT treatment. VAT cannot be reclaimed on cars bought by a business which attract any form of private use

• Gold FFM

Damn. BeAten to it while signing in. 

Edited by Colin P
Different dealer

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

Wrong Williams @Colin P. This one is the lovely bunch in Bristol, not the dodgy bunch in Cardiff...

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Whatever it is, it wont be helping 400 values at all. L O T U S letters on the dash indicate it's one of the first 20 or so I think?

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Bravo73 said:

"VAT Qualifying". Doesn't this mean that you have to add another 20% to the price? (Therefore, it becomes £69,600).

Vat qualifying means that you can reclaim the vat if it's a business vehicle......should not be plus vat

• Like 2

Only here once

• Gold FFM

They don't specify whether it is a VAT inclusive price.... I can't see the point of having a car like that as "VAT qualifying"... it's a bit odd. Hardly a rare classic Ferrari.

In either case many people browsing the classifieds will just see "2016 Evora 400, 2,000 miles, £58K"

Their listing is lazy too, as it mentions "Metallic Gre" [sic] and a "leather and alcantara interior", when it's not, it's the leather interior. They've copied and pasted another ad.

James Martin (JayEmm)

LK plate is registered in Finchley,  probably a car that Hexagon sold...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

It won't be plus vat, if that is the case the advert must state that. "VAT qualifying" is a term used on certain cars used for business purposes.

A VAT qualifying car is one that has been used ONLY for business purposes so the VAT was recoverable by the first and any subsequent VAT registered owners who will also use it ONLY for business purposes. For a VAT registered business needing to buy a used car for use as, say, a pool car a VAT qualifying car is attractive because they can recover the VAT on the purchase price, though they will have to pay VAT on the future sale price which is likely to be lower.

The first owner to have any private use breaks the chain, the car ceases to be VAT qualifying, and no-one else can ever recover the VAT paid on purchase.

Examples would include retailer or manufacturer's press fleets (but not staff cars if they were available for private use), ex-lease or hire cars (because the lessor acquired them for use in their business - the fact the customer may have had private use is immaterial here), driving school cars, pool cars, etc.

For private buyers, the term VAT qualifying has no practical implication at all, except maybe as an indication of the previous life of the car.

• Like 2

It does say "VAT Qualifying" in the PH advert @PaulCP?

On Order: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

8 minutes ago, CocoPops said:

It does say "VAT Qualifying" in the PH advert @PaulCP?

Hence the detail in my post. Of they do add VAT on for a prospective private purchaser then it is a very naughty advert bordering on illegal

• Gold FFM

To me VAT qualifying on a car like this only makes sense if it is likely to be exported to some collector outside the EU, who won't be paying VAT. On classic Ferrari or Lambo it makes sense. Not on this.

James Martin (JayEmm)

Has anyone actually called Williams to find out if it is £58k to joe public?

On Order: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

I have now.

It's + VAT so £69,600 if Joe wants it. 

• Like 1

Evora NA

5 hours ago, PaulCP said:

Hence the detail in my post. Of they do add VAT on for a prospective private purchaser then it is a very naughty advert bordering on illegal

Doesnt matter who buys it, company or private, they're going to have to pay the vat, hence the term "vat qualifying" and no different to "+vat", just a fancy way of saying it...

They have probably bought it off vat registered company that's had it as a company car, henceforth the invoice to them will have had vat added on at 20%. . The agreed purchase price of the car will have been without vat.

They are advertising it on the basis somoene wants it as a company vehicle and the vat can be claimed back on it, no need to advertise the total cost price like you do to joe public just the nett as that may make the car fall in to someone's budget. Anyone who isn't vat registered is going to have to pay it unfortunately, and even if you are vat registered, youre still going to have to pay it and then claim it back... there's no getting out of it im afraid!!

Go into any commercial vehicle outlet and evrything on the forecourt ,new or secondhand will be +vat.

Edited by TheKevlarKid
sp
  • Like 1

What a silly approach to advertising.   At £58k it would only be at approx expected market price for its colour but to be the price it without VAT is absurd.   You can buy a brand new 400 for less than £70k after discounts.

When you advertise a car for £58k VAT qualifying it usually means you can deduct 20% off the quoted £58k price. 

These dealers must be getting desperate as the cars simply are not shifting. 

However,  they shouldnt be resorting to potentially fraudulent ads or click bait ads. 

Edited by Evo400
  • Like 1