free hit
counters
Europa project - Europa - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Europa project

davearkley

Hi Guys

I'm a newby to the Lotus scene and hope to get my Europa project up from Southampton in a week or so.

Its in a pretty bad state so I will probably be looking for all the help and advice I can get.

Its a 71 with a renault engine (siezed) - I would like to keep it as original as poss but no doubt it will need lots of bits and hopefully you will help with this.

cheers for now

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Dave look forward to the posts and pictures, love europas a very beutiful little car full of charector. :thumbup:  Have you owned the car long or is it a recent purchase, Have been loking at the yellow one on ebay for a while but it needs massive amounts of work and they are not cheap cars to buy these days even as basket cases.  But still beutiful little cars in my eyes no matter what the condtion.

Good luck with the build and make sure you get some pics up, folks on here with give you plenty of encouragment and advice if you need it. :yes:

A

Welcome to TLF Dave. :welcome:

You should duck over to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Hi Guys

I havnt even got the car yet

Just waiting for the transport to pick it up - probably next week. I will need to get the body off and sort the chassis and suspension before anything else. Evidently the renault engine is siezed so that needs to come out and a full strip down at the same time - The rest of the bits are in a box - Bodywork is not too bad but will need a full respray. So apart from that and a re-wire - its looking good. The guy started to restore and took ill so its down to me now - all the bits are there - so thats good news eh? Hmmmmmmm

bye for now

Sadly the way with old projects, people stop due to ill health, lack of time etc.  But on the bright side none of us would get hold of these projects if that was not the case,  You get to build your dream car for less money but need to put in the elbow grease.

Well good luck with picking up the torch from the last owner, regardng the box of bits, plenty of folks on here own europas and will be happy to tell you where bits go, plus you will know your car inside out when finshed. :thumbup:

Are you keeping the chassis standard or looking into the spyder one.?  Anyway get some pics up when it lands, bet your well excited and i would be too, fantastic little car the europa. :)

A

Hi Dave.

Looking on the interwebs,  sydercars list price is about 2.5 k for the chassis kit, They list an 8 year corrosion guarantee and obviously the chassis is the nuts, I also think that this chassis kit is highly regarded by the lotus eurpoa community and does not affect the resale value of a car but i am not 100 percent sure, but from what i have read in the past it is a well regarded conversion.

once in a while they also pop up for sale second hand,  well brand new but already purchased if you know what i mean, normally listed in a europa restoration project advert and the seller normally says spyder chassis also availible at extra cost. :)

So they do come up used from time to time also. ;)

A

why not go for a Banks replacement chassis? you can go for a space frame OR a sheet steel as the original (so you can use your suspension parts). I do not like the spyder chassis as the top arm for the rear suspension is very short imho and because you engine needs a rebuild, think about the renault 1647cc crossflow (renault 843 engine) 

good luck with the build

I have a twin cam europa on a spyder chassis. I would go for an original chassis instead of a spyder. The chassis is just the start of the costs from spyder, all the other bits mount up. I also think people like originality so a standard chassis is the way to go. Sue Miller can still get one made. I would then send it to arch motors to powder coat. 

BTW I made my own sheet steel backbone chassis, I took the measurements from the old one, ordered the steel a little heavier and welded it up with some extra stiffeners in the backbone. 

Hi guys

the Europa arrived at my workshop today - the transport guy had lost the engine cover - so thats not a good start as if I didnt have enough to do - he did say sorry ? Chassis looks ok apart from the RHS rear support from the chassis to the wheel - This must be a replaceable part as its on a rubber mount

anybody out there got a boot lid?

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/26/2016 at 22:26, Barrykearley said:

Look at this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262607937007

lotus Europa S2 restoration  

this one had a separate negotiation "spare" chassis !!

Hi - I have bought this car - but the seller wanted over £5k for the spyder chassis and zetec engine.But  I want to try to keep this as original as possible so I have decided to rebuild where I can.. The car is in a bad way - needs a new chassis but an original lotus chassis has been ordered and will get galvanised before fitting - looks like mid Jan before I get it. Engine will get a full strip down and rebuild. Radius arms have totally collapsed - rusted through completely. Even the alternator and carb are totally siezed. Someone has cut out the front indicator pods and stuck two fibreglass "rugs" over the holes. These have been removed and fortunately they had put the 2 original pods in the car - these have now been refitted. The fibreboards at the back of the seats had gone to mush and I have just sorted this problem but seat frames are totally rusted so will need replacing. So now carb is off and after a good soak in WD40 it now moves - refurb kit ordered. Water pump solid so I have a new pump ready to go on. Body off next week hopefully. Brakes and suspension starting to get stripped.

Every bolt I have tried to remove has snapped so now I'm not even going to try and am just using a cutting disc instead.- careful not to set fire to the car eh!!

Pics show where the indicator pods were hacked out and now back in. Middle pic is where the radius arm literally snapped in half due to the rust. Sorry I couldnt get the pics to load properly - tried to rotate prior to loading but I'm sure you will be able to see the images OK. all imported at 90 deg for some reason.?

I have a few other projects nearing completion so the Lotus may go on the backburner until next month - I wont get the chassis until mid jan so no rush. I will have engine ready by then and interior refinished and body sprayed. Thats my December sorted.

If anyone can tell me how to upload pics the right way round it would help.

IMG_1191.JPG

IMG_1195.JPG

IMG_1193.JPG

IMG_1198.JPG

Must be around 40 years since I had a europa.

Just got going with this project - Ordered new lotus chassis - ETA mid jan - engine cover and new radius arms arriving this week - rear brake kit arrived today - new water pump arrived - alternator stripped and serviced - front indicator pods refitted - interior stripped out and panels behind seats fixed - floor under seat runners strengthened - pedals out and cables/brackets removed. Body will be off next week so a good inspection of chassis and get the engine out - rear brakes stripped - dash veneer stripped - all bolts getting cut off or snapping. Even the seat runner bolts are snapping in the seat bases. 10 gal of WD40 ordered.

Oh its going to be lots of fun. Bit chilly though

engine lid arrived as promised together with sone new front indicator units - she's looking better already.

starting to remove bits to get body off - all rusted - more cutting than using sockets - seats out and runners cut off - need new runners? what else fits or is it down to modified MG runners ?? I will probably need to replace pedal assembly as this is totally rusted. Anyone know what size the bores are for new pistons/liners  for 71 renault engine ? workshop manual tells me they could be 76mm or 77mm depending on non exhaust or exhaust emission. - I'm not familiar with this info. Advice please,

Just now, davearkley said:

engine lid arrived as promised together with sone new front indicator units - she's looking better already.

starting to remove bits to get body off - all rusted - more cutting than using sockets - seats out and runners cut off - need new runners? what else fits or is it down to modified MG runners ?? I will probably need to replace pedal assembly as this is totally rusted. Anyone know what size the bores are for new pistons/liners  for 71 renault engine ? workshop manual tells me they could be 76mm or 77mm depending on non exhaust or exhaust emission. - I'm not familiar with this info. Advice please,

new radius arms have arrived so I need to get body off and check chassis

Just a bit more info - the europa is a type 65 reg 01 sept 1971.

the engine number on the V5 (697042723) is not the same as the number on the engine so it looks like someone has changed the engine at some time.

From the renault code number it would appear to be a 1565 renault TL or TA engine - its siezed so its probably a good idea to buy a complete running engine.

• 2 weeks later...

so guys

It looks like I need an engine - any suggestions - I could refurb the one in the car or just try to find a decent replacement - what would you suggest. I think the gearbox is ok so if I replaced the engine then I would need something to fit the existing box. I'm leaning towards a refurb as I cant find a replacement and at least a refurb will have new pistons and liners etc - just a bit more work but theres no time scale here. Just trying to reduce the workload if I could find a good engine. The carb is off and needs a full recon as it was completely siezed - I have all parts moving now but a full strip down is needed. Its always a trade off - cost against an easier life.

I'm hoping to get the body off this week so I can get at the mechanicals. New radius arms have arrived so I can probably get the chassis mobile when I get the rear wheels re-attached to the car. Unfortunately I had a crash in my merc and written it off aquaplaning into the crash barrier in the dark stormy night we had on sunday so thats taken up the week so far. Not good.

Thanks Mike

Theres so much work to do - so its going to be a long slow job - I'm pretty much on my own so its all down to me and its the most extensive resto I've taken on - apart from the Lotus I'm well on with an S Type 1966 3.4 resto and will finish this first - its all done except paint and refitting carpets/interior. I've sorted a TR7 and a P38 as well over the last few months - its been fun

Just had a massive crash on sunday writing off my merc 320 CLS aquaplaned into the central crash barrier and bounced back into the traffic so the last couple of days have been spent trolling round the different departments of my broker/insurance co./underwriters/recovery/repair shop - aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarg amazing the damage from a 40mph collision. No one hurt fortunately.

12 hours ago, davearkley said:

It looks like I need an engine - any suggestions -

A popular conversion was to use a Renault Fuego engine & box. :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk