free hit
counters
Turbo Paint Job Black or body Coloured bumpers? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Buddsy

Turbo Paint Job Black or body Coloured bumpers?

I had a bit of a eureka moment some might have seen over in the thread about prices soaring.

Basically at some point my car will need a respray. My car is Feb 1985 so has the body coloured mirrors and bumpers, and I have the early G car wing mirrors. I alway wanted to buy a red car with the black bumpers but as it happens I ended up with body coloured. I had never thought about it before but it occurred to me that if I did do a respray I could change the colour of the mirrors and bumpers and being the same parts as the earlier cars it would look 100% correct.

So I started looking at pics of Esprit both pre and post 1985. Although I still do love the look of the black bumpers and much to my surprise I think I actually prefer the  body coloured!

Not to muddy the decision Ive only been looking at red cars as thats what mine is. To help me Ive made 2 boards over on Pinterest. I think you should be able to view them (if interested) without needing to register

Pre 1985

Post 1985

Either way I have come to the conclusion there not much in it.

A nice spray job either way really makes these Esprit look the Dogs! :)

Buddsy

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Scott,   I think the black bumpers look the nuts on the turbo esprit,   Also another option depending on how far off your spray job is.  Is just a used front and rear bumper, a little satin black on them, fit them and keep your old ones red and in the garage. 

Black bumpers and white good year tyre stickers and your pretty much the same as your old avatar picture ;) minus the comps but you can always work on that in the future. :)

Or just thought maybe look into getting them wraped in satin black ?  No removing bumpers and you could do the wing mirrors also ?  not sure how they get on though for filling the lotus words in the rear bumper but it must be do able and probably cheaper than used bumpers and paint and you could do the wing mirrors black also. !  

23 minutes ago, silverfrost said:

Black bumpers and white good year tyre stickers and your pretty much the same as your old avatar picture 

The thing is I always thought my avatar was perfect but looking at real pictures of peoples cars I think the red coloured bumpers just look a little better. Thats a shock to me as its not what Ive always though.

Buddsy

Its personal preference, your car is factory spec but you also like it that way which is bonus. :)  Most people just tend to like the black bumpers more. horses for courses and all that.  Your avatar picture though sure sums up to me the best way a turbo esprit can look though ;)

• Like 1

I think they look great either way, but there is something about the black bumpers (and turbo decals) which looks right on the Esprit though it wouldn't on almost any other car.

I have always been pro black bumpers and decals until I had a good look at MPX's down the SWLC last weekend;image.jpeg

Now I really like them both ways, this car is in superb condition and looked really smart.

Scott if I were you go with what your heart tells you, your car has always been a great machine and how Lotus intended.

Dave ?

• Like 2

A red Esprit will look great either way! I personally think the black bumpers give a nice accent and contrast to the red. With other bodycolors it can be different.

Simon

I think I've come across a picture of your car back in 2004 if you're interested? What are the last 2 digits in the number plate? 

• Like 1

Oh that would be great!!

690W

I have loads of history with the car, but no pictures - pics would be fantastic!

A previous owner px'd it for the Sport 300 that was written off and rebuilt by Lotus in green! - spookily a friend in the same village bought the Sport 300 off him :)

Edited by SimonE
spelling!
  • Like 1

I'll check later but I think it's the same one. Some woman draped over it (fully dressed).

Sorry for thread hijack

2 minutes ago, Bazza 907 said:

Sorry for thread hijack

No probs I think this thread is about to become a pic fest of Red Turbo G cars...and theres nothing wrong with that!

Ok so a her are a pair of factory renders/images 

Lotus_Turbo_Esprit_1981.jpg

Turbo-HC-promo-pic.jpg

Buddsy

• Like 1

Here are a couple of the images of real car pics I like the best of those Ive found in no order...

794962fb608fa3e9162d4b4eaf096b23.jpg

ADV1.jpg

b1e00a05f81b67d349ee6a451f7cb0c8.jpg

Lotus_Turbo_Esprit_1982_Red.jpg

rwdmeet_33.jpg

Im lucky as Ive got plenty of time before I can afford a respray. Lovely cars all of them but Im not sure which one Id pick if I was free to take away one of them?

Buddsy

• Like 2

I'm biased a bit...mine is eclipse blue with body coloured bumpers, and I think black bumpers would detract from the aesthetics.. With the red cars.....I think the black bumpers look better!!

• Like 1

plastidip them satin black.

those spraycans dont cost te world. If you dont like it anymore, just tear te dip off. Your red paint will be like new because te black dip protects it.

geert

• Like 2

I'm with satin black bumpers in mine ( they were almost Matt originally, but not sure if that was just weathering), but somehow the bodycoloured bumpers in red make the car look more modern to me.

Or should I say the black bumpers look more "classic"? ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SimonE said:

Oh that would be great!!

690W

I have loads of history with the car, but no pictures - pics would be fantastic!

A previous owner px'd it for the Sport 300 that was written off and rebuilt by Lotus in green! - spookily a friend in the same village bought the Sport 300 off him :)

Sorry, very similar but I don't think it's the same car given the different colour interiors. That said, the sunroof looks the same and also appears to have Compomotives. Long shot but I wonder if the PPW plate could have been added later given the number plate on the Bond car?

Anyway another shot of a red Turbo!

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

• Like 2

Many thanks Barrie - that looks ace.

I reckon that black really suits the calypso red - another winter's job on the list :) 

I will check the number plate history of my car.

Budds if you have grown to like the body coloured bumpers and that's how your car left the factory then I'd keep it that way.

It's nice that our G Turbos aren't all the same. As the red door frames on Simon's car shows, lots of people like to tinker with their Esprits inside and out but they very rarely improve on the factory effort in my opinion.

But seriously Simon, £1500?! The wheels are worth more than twice that on their own!

• Like 1

Im so fickle! Today Im liking the black bumpers again. I have to say theres not much in it but I think its something that I could change quite simply. 

There doesnt seem to be many good pics of cars in good nick with the black bumpers and red paint. Must be some about. I think I need to get out to more shows to see them in the flesh.

Thanks for all your input guys.

Buddsy

• Like 1

Black bumpers with white is a given!

Here is a pic from the Jeremy Walton Esprit book. That is exactly the same as mine right now...although maybe not as pink as mine.

IMG_20160928_232130642.jpg

I do like the look of this but I think I prefer the black. But would my car thcar always be something it's not?

Buddsy

4 minutes ago, Buddsy said:

Black bumpers with white is a given

Oh no it isn't

y3mYCZ0tg38xCCMw_Qwo4DB-6zIcy5YM9cGRm4O5

• Like 2