free hit
counters
There is no next car... - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

There is no next car...

Stuno1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

This is sort of an attitudinal and financial question though. Bit like discussing holidays. I've friends that are happy going to the same holiday destination since a kid as its comfortable, familiar and relaxing. Whereas others knowing life is relatively short, and can fund them, choose different places for the experiences.

If I could I would own several different vehicles all giving different experiences but sadly can't (though having a Cup, RS6 and a Defender is still interesting).  My white Exige V6 was my first lotus and I went in eyes open to what the car would and would not be and am happy to deal with its foibles and revel in its benefits.. But would I end my days with one....doubtful, and I don't get why anyone would -finances permitting- when we have such a different and exciting set of products from manufacturers all competing for our attention. 

Hopefully an Evora is next for me, but I'm not writing off an AMV12 , R10 or like you a GTS or Mc12.

Black n gold

• Gold FFM

for me it was only ever going to go one way. 

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

although did consider a certain GTE at one point......

• Like 2

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

As a "car guy" I enjoy looking at cars and, of course, thinking about the next potential car, whether new or used.  I find myself always trying to expand my search, looking for cars I might have over-looked, but I keep coming back to the Evora 400.  One of my biggest requirements is that a car has to be fun and engaging to drive at any speed.  By all accounts, the Evora fits this bill, no doubt helped by the availability of a 6-speed manual.  I find light cars more responsive and fun to drive: few cars are lighter than the Evora.  The Evora is expensive, but not stupidly expensive.  And while maintenance costs are not going to be cheap, they will likely be cheaper than any of its competitors and the Toyota engine and transmission means that there should be plenty of people who can work on the car.  Finally, the car has enough cargo space to be practical for golf or a weekend getaway with the wife.  The closest alternative I can come up with to the Evora is the Mercedes AMG GT S, but that car would only come into the equation if I no longer wanted a manual.

• Like 1

Don't discount the 400 as a worthwhile step from an S1 Evora. Admittedly mine was an NA, but the differences are marked.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the only legitimate competitors I could think of for the Evora were Porsche's - 911 or Cayman - and I have no desire to own either! Other than that I was thinking used AM Vantage or Maserati GranTourismo and they are quite different to the Evora. The Evora may be a GT car by Lotus standards, but by everyone elses it's pure sports car.

• Gold FFM

I'm pretty sure @Stuno1 that about 18 months ago when you were driving us all potty with your 397,464 questions around the EVORA that you would ONLY consider a +2 - so what's changed that now you will look at other brands that are +0? Just asking the bleedin' obvious question? :)

Like you, I cannot see me ever parting with my Evora. I love it. I don't need any more powa as it is already too fast for the road - I know i know, but let's put the willy's away and on normal Uk roads an NA with headers etc. is fine. Indeed, I love it so much, that instead of parting with it, I just went out and bought another car to sit alongside and sport of complement it Now I will have my Evora as a lovely GT and a dedicated open top track car sat next to it. Have to admit the wife was a bit pissed off as she picked up my phone and saw the "It's yours" text as it came through. Had a bit of explaining to do as she had no clue about it and I am now in the doghouse but happily clearing the garage for when I bring Sylvia home to keep Scarlet company in the garage. 

The 400 is a logical next step for the money. Like NealH says i would not rule it out, in fact, I'd be quite happy to have one sat with my other two cars in the garage. might cost me a divorce, but what the heck, i'm getting old and well driving is much pleasure!  hahaha...

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

It had to be +2 when looking for the Evora to fit my daughter. As a result we have used the Evora a good amount. If we only have my daughter I'd like to keep 4 seats but if we have another then it could be 2 seats as it would get used as often as a small +2. Just amazes me how well the Evora covers all bases. I like the 991 gts but as I say it's waaaay to expensive for me. 

• Gold FFM

Ah, I get it @Stuno1. You plan your purchases 18mths+ ahead and are now just planning ahead! ;) But remember, hopefully by then the Evora Roadster will be out and as you fancy a +0 now that you have accepted they are the better car ( hahahahah! ) then that would surely be the logical choice.

Whatever you decide, be happy, be safe...  cars are defo cheaper than kids though. Still paying for my kids after 22 years and counting....  bless their little cotton socks of course.... :devil:

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

I'm also waiting to see the Roadster.  For those of us who don't need a rear seat, the car has several advantages.  First, the early production niggles should be ironed out by the time the roadster appears.  Also, Lotus' ownership should be clearer.  News has it that Lotus may be for sale due to the financial troubles of its parent.  

I'm in a similar position in that I am continually amazed and impressed by my V6 Cup and have a nagging doubt that the chargecooled V6 (if it ever shows up) won't be more to my liking in every way.

The cost to change is likely to be much greater than the real world improvements.

We will see before too long hopefully but it's going to have to be pretty spectacular to get me to say goodbye to my car. It has been a spectacularly enjoyable and rewarding car to own.

I'd also very much like to try a McLaren MP4-12C, I think it's considerably better looking than the 650S and 570S but auto-only is a real issue for me and I'm struggling to see when I would get the chance to use all the extra performance.  If I ever see another one in Volcano Red however, all that can change. Regardless, a big lottery win would see a 675LT on the driveway in pretty short order. The only non-Lotus new car that is of any interest to me that is sub-£200k is the 7-speed manual V12 Vantage S. I had the original one and would need to drive the new one to be sure that certain things had been improved (and certain other things had been retained). But that's the only car that's had me on the configurator recently. I did sell the last one and spent the change on the Exige with absolutely no regrets so maybe it would work better 'as well as' rather than 'instead of'!

• Like 2

I keep telling myself I'm going to sell the 400 as it's about to go through a long period of very little use, but guess what, it's still sat in the garage. As far as looking for something new, right now there's nothing that would be a direct replacement for it, but I know at some point there will be. Even if I did make a promise this would be the last sports car.

The 400 has made me a bit noise obsessed with cars, it makes a better sound than pretty much everything I hear around, Porsches are laughable by comparison to my childish ears. That said, on Saturday a Granturismo passed us as we walked down the street that made an awesome racket, but might have been an aftermarket exhaust as I've never heard one that good before. That's the only car that's turned my head in recent times.

I do constantly look at classic cars though, as always, but that would be an addition rather than a replacement if I had the room!

Funnily enough I was having this discussion with friends tonight.  I'm struggling to find a sub £100k car new or second hand that I would prefer to the Evora.   Next step up for me is a 458, but at £150k for second hand cars from main dealers that's a bit steep.  £130k for a McLaren 540c .... A lot of car for the money, but I'm not comfortable with the inevitable depreciation, especially based on what happened to the 12C and 650S. 

Went through 6 cars last year and a fair amount already this year, but must admit I'm a bit stumped at what to replace the Evora with....... Evora Roadster if Lotus gets its act together ? ;) 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

• Gold FFM

I agree with Colin there is always another car. You guys are too 'marque monogamous'. :sleeping:

That is the whole point about loving cars - if there is nothing out there that excites at the moment look back at the classics. Let's be honest none of the electric hybrid hypercars really excite; no matter how smart the technology might be. Classics it has to be... especially the iconic mental ones like the Stratos: http://tominiclassics.com/collections/102/Lancia-Stratos

I always yearned for one in rosso red back in the day, but the prices now are eye watering. Only museum pieces now sadly...

Friends building a Lister Bell Stratos to a high spec.  Going to be a lovely car when finished. 

• Like 1

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

• Gold FFM

I've had several cars which I thought I would have long term, but I know better now! The Evora is a superb vehicle, as with @The Pits I am quite fond of the original McLaren 12C. It's aged well IMHO. 

However I just don't know if I would feel the turbo and Paddleshift was an improvement... and the noise of a sports car is super important to me too.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

8 hours ago, blindside said:

I agree with Colin there is always another car. You guys are too 'marque monogamous'. :sleeping:

That is the whole point about loving cars - if there is nothing out there that excites at the moment look back at the classics. Let's be honest none of the electric hybrid hypercars really excite; no matter how smart the technology might be. Classics it has to be... especially the iconic mental ones like the Stratos: http://tominiclassics.com/collections/102/Lancia-Stratos

I always yearned for one in rosso red back in the day, but the prices now are eye watering. Only museum pieces now sadly...

This isn't about being a fanboy chap it's just me saying there is no car to replace the Evora with that ticks all the boxes under 90k. That's double the price I paid for my Evora. I am more than happy to move to another brand if the car is right. 

• Gold FFM

@Stuno1 Fairplay Stuart. I take your point and TBH that is what persuaded me also to buy the Evora over anything else.

My comment was intended to be general and just a wee bit provocative. :)

• Like 1

I've updated the list of cars on my profile just for you Jimmy.

Most of this thread is discussing the other makes of car which we like isn't it? Most of us have come to Lotus via other makes of cars, many have had a break from Lotus ownership for a few years, I had a TVR phase myself but I generally find that owning other cars helps me to appreciate Lotus cars all the more.